• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Films Receive Nominations for 92nd Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising, this year. Nearly all anime movies this year were mediocre, and the ones that are "just good" aren't good enough, nor have the clout behind them, to get a nomination.

Anyways, it looks like Klaus is gonna win.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:18 pm Reply with quote
The Oscars like every other awards show out there.. are irrelevant.

Be happy, be sad, who cares.. next.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
Weathering With You has no chance of beating the South Korean film Parasite in the Best International Feature Film category anyway.

In addition to that category, that juggernaut is also nominated in Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screenplay categories.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

The Oscars like every other awards show out there.. are irrelevant.

So ANN shouldn't report on these too then?

"Weathering With You, Her Blue Sky, More Nominated for 42nd Japan Academy Prize"
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
Any thoughts as to why an anime movie has not won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film since "Spirited Away" won it at the 75th Academy Awards? Also, was it doing Disney something similar to Executive Meddling that allowed SA to win that time?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Any thoughts as to why an anime movie has not won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature Film since "Spirited Away" won it at the 75th Academy Awards? Also, was it doing Disney something similar to Executive Meddling that allowed SA to win that time?

It's about promotions - Disney has the war-chest to promote the hell out of their movies to influence voters.

Kinda like the election ads.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:50 am Reply with quote
Also I kinda think what Bong Joon Ho (director of Parasite) said applies here. He took a little jab at American movie viewers by saying "Once you overcome the 1-inch-tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more amazing films!" Sure, more anime movies are dubbed these days, but a similar barrier exists for animation, especially foreign animation. An animated picture is supposed to be a certain way. it's for kids. If you want to tell a genuine story you use live-action, because that's what the adults watch. Your Name was a huge hit everywhere in the world but America, but they're giving that a Hollywood remake so the story can finally be told to the average American viewer, since that's how movies are 'supposed to be'. I'd say once people overcome the barrier of what they think animation should and shouldn't be, they'll find lots of interesting media, especially in a country with as big of an output as Japan.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with focusing on your own country's media, or separating live-action and animation projects, but the way it's done and has historically been treated makes it clear it's because those types of films are seen as lesser. Categories like 'best foreign film' and 'best animated film' kind of exist to section them all off from the main Hollywood output. The day an animated film, American or otherwise, wins best picture of the year and is said to be the best film in the industry of the year will be interesting, if it ever happens. The last time we saw an animated nomination for best picture was back in 2010 with Toy Story 3.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It's about promotions - Disney has the war-chest to promote the hell out of their movies to influence voters.

Kinda like the election ads.

Promoting or "campaigning" is extremely important. Small studios may hire out big firms to promote their films. One time I somehow got on a comp list for The Hollywood Reporter. Awards Season is a fascinating season for an industry journal like that. Absolutely stacked with elaborate and extremely expensive promotional material. I remember full issue wrap around covers for Despicable me and Rio BEFORE the nominations were even out. I still have a 40 page booklet for Lincoln that resembles a Broadway playbook.

Smaller movies will still put out full-page ads and campaign directly to voter blocks. 'Don't get me wrong, Laika is a good animation house- but they are also extremely good campaigners too. Same with GKids. Remember when Secret of the Kells got nominated? Good film, but it was a tiny studo's first film and the secret was campaigning by GKids. When Funimation entered Summer Wars for consideration, they were hoping their partnership with GKids would push them into a nomination. Miyazaki on the other hand has turned down Academy membership after the SA win and made slightly disparaging remarks about the Oscars- that sticks with voters and you can believe there are "dirty" campaigners that would remind voters of things like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
I really loved Frozen II and was completely shocked at its snub. I’m not sure if it’s because awards voters dislike sequels, or some other reason. Backlash towards Lassiter’s ouster? Backlash against Disney buying Fox and further monopolizing? Or did voters just not like it?

I’m planning to see Weathering With You tomorrow and am looking forward to the artistry of Shinkai’s rain.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Agent: They already gave the last Frozen a win.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:22 pm Reply with quote
#904185 wrote:
Can people expect when the anime movies submitted are all mediocre?

Well there’s that and I think it is largely a cultural values difference, too. Shinkai’s and the other animated films mentioned in the article have a story composition with thematic notes that don’t typically show up in western animated films. There are Japanese aesthetics that might be difficult for most academy members to appreciate. I also think there is a bit of ingrained snobbery in the academy that sees animated features as being a lesser medium constrained by the pigeonhole that Disney meticulously constructed over decades. Spirited Away worked more because it could be fit in that mold as opposed to shattering it.

Spastic Minnow wrote:
Smaller movies will still put out full-page ads and campaign directly to voter blocks. 'Don't get me wrong, Laika is a good animation house- but they are also extremely good campaigners too. Same with GKids. Remember when Secret of the Kells got nominated? Good film, but it was a tiny studo's first film and the secret was campaigning by GKids. When Funimation entered Summer Wars for consideration, they were hoping their partnership with GKids would push them into a nomination. Miyazaki on the other hand has turned down Academy membership after the SA win and made slightly disparaging remarks about the Oscars- that sticks with voters and you can believe there are "dirty" campaigners that would remind voters of things like that.

Takahata was likewise offered membership after his last film, but also declined. Of course he died shortly thereafter, but I imagine it was just another snub that probably continues to linger. Old or not, if perceptions and attitudes are going to change, somebody has to speak from the inside. It also doesn’t help that self-professed otaku Lassiter is gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3