• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Island of Giant Insects

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:11 am Reply with quote
For a reason, this was more presented more seriously than in the manga. Just imagine the trash fest the manga is.

BUT, well, it's an honest trash fest. You know why you read it, you know what to expect of it, and it doesn't try to give the impression of something more than what it is.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
seoulman1985 wrote:
Given my aversion to a certain insect mentioned in the review, you saved me the curiosity of wanting to see it.
Would've easily settled for locusts, but instead... well, insert relevant Nicholas Cage quote, and you all know what I'm getting at.

TL:DR Why did it have to be [REDACTED]? / That's it, I'm outta here!

Bees? you're scared of bees I could see if you were afraid of bumblebees or Asian Giant Hornets but bees?

Bees kill people while other stinging insects like wasps and hornets rarely do. There's good evidence that many people have a genetic aversion to them (same with snakes). If you care enough to read about it I highly recommend the book "Sting of the Wild" by Justin O. Schmidt. It's rare that a phobia makes logical sense but in this is one which actually has some basis in fact.

Funnily enough, I hate wasps though bees don't bother me at all. I guess I got it backwards.
AshLancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:19 am Reply with quote
Such shit.

- All of the characterization and development in the manga is completely lost. Half the characters don't even show up or are discarded in completely pointless ways. Mutsuki is pretty much the ONLY character given any development at all, and hardly at that.
- There is so much blatant fan service.
- Lazy, stiff animation. The shock and violence isn't even animated that great. It's no MD Geist, or Berserker.
- The insect CGI is static and god awful. Almost no textures at all.
- Piss poor direction. At one point Mutsuki is just walking down a hall for a solid 2 minutes while filler music plays and shots are literally recycled. What's the point?

This is one of the poorest adaptations I've seen in a solid 10 [expletive] years. I feel like whoever invested money into this crap should sue for being scammed. Whatever studios they railroaded to slap this lazy excuse together should be ashamed for even being a part of it.

Read the manga. Or just look elsewhere, people. Killing Bites does the whole absurd B-movie level shock, sex, and violence thing a million times better than this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

Bees kill people while other stinging insects like wasps and hornets rarely do.

Bee stings only kill if you're deathly allergic to them which I don't think most people are.

AshLancer wrote:

Doesn't the manga have fanservice?
dnikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
This movie was cringe, oh god if it was.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:

Bees kill people while other stinging insects like wasps and hornets rarely do.

Bee stings only kill if you're deathly allergic to them which I don't think most people are.

If you're allergic the risk is much higher, but bees are potentially lethal (in numbers, of course) to anybody even without an allergic reaction. That was the whole point of my post. Check out the book I recommended you. The author is a PhD entomologist but it's not a heavy academic read. He's also the guy who invented the scale used to rate the severity of insect stings; he's probably the worlds foremost authority on the subject, and he has a great sense of humor that comes out in his writing too. His descriptions of the pain from a variety of stings is reminiscent of a sommelier discussing the taste of a fine wine, it cracks me up every time.

Quote:
AshLancer wrote:

Doesn't the manga have fanservice?

Absolutely it does. That's exactly how I stumbled upon it, it was specifically from a list of fanservice/ecchi themed manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2