EP. REVIEW: Isekai Quartet 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Are you implying that there may be new series, or just new characters?

mushoku tensei already had a minor crossover with rezero and it's got an anime series announced for this year.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, according to this, he never finished middle school? That seems incongruous with him being a salaryman (even if just an ordinary one), as that nomenclature indicates someone who has joined a company out of college.

I never knew how much I wanted Ainz to have only gotten his lowly job due to nepotism or something until this show presented the possibility.
It also seems in line with Overlord's sense of humor to me, since that show did seem to enjoy robbing its characters of their dignity.
Nroxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The real world of Ainz is a cyberpunk dystopia, not everyone has a study and as soon as they finish high school they are sent to work almost as slaves.
The air in the world is polluted and people have to wear masks, so he never saw a clear sky and is surprised.

-World of 2138 Overlord-
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
^
Hmmm. Those details must come up in later volumes because I read the first volume and don't remember such things being discussed there.

Thanks for the clarifications, though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nroxy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Hmmm. Those details must come up in later volumes because I read the first volume and don't remember such things being discussed there.

Thanks for the clarifications, though!

Source material.
-Overlord Manga Volume 03 Special: Background Material (lore about the real world)
-Overlord Blu-ray 04 Special: Prologue (1st Half) (before volume 1)
-Overlord Blu-ray 06 Special: Prologue (2nd Half) (before volume 1)

There is an article on the wiki about the '' World of 2138 " with all the information about this dystopic world where everything was devastated and dominated by mega corporations.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
From the Overlord wiki
Quote:
According to Maruyama, only in the Web Novel, Ainz’s academic background extends to high school and university rather than just elementary level.

Overlord Volume 08 Author Thoughts
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
The credits image of Subaru is Re:Zero in a nutshell and it's art.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I did not get this at all. Mayo and Ketchup are like dips, right?. Therefore salt and pepper doesn't make sense as its own category to me. Wouldn't fried chicken always be seasoned with at least some salt? Probably some black pepper too. Was Tanya advocating for no dips? Or does Tanya take some cooked fried chicken and then dip it in some extra salt and raw pepper? Wtf? I don't understand.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Just as a bit of a nitpick for the last review: Tanya has *two* computation jewels. One of them she uses all the time. The other one only works if she prays. I think that gets obfuscated in the anime, but in the LN she has two jewels, and she is the *only* person who can use the more powerful one with four cores.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
For what is worth, Crunchyroll majorly messed up on the translation for this episode, as the food item that sparks the debate for the episode was Kaarage chicken, which is boneless pieces of chicken thigh breaded and fried, definitely not wings. This is particularly bad because the word "kaarage" keeps getting repeated throught the episode and every single time CR translates it as Wings... heck, a thought bubble over Visha early in the episode even shows this food, and it's very un-wing-like.

Also on a cultural note, America, Europe and Japan all do mayo with different recipes so unless you're familiar with the JP kind, I woundn't judge his suitability as a fried chicken condiment based on US mayo you're used to. "Common" wisdom says that American style goes better in sandwhiches while JP/EU style is a better condiment, tough YMMV.

Also the move Albedo pulls during dodgeball is a wrestling reference to Chris Jericho, the submission hold she performs on one of Tanya's grunts is his signature move and she yelled "Walls of Jericho" before summoning a wall. As to why, no idea, wrestling is popular in Japan but I dunno if Overlord has any wrestling references itself.

Another tidbit that Theron apparently missed or wasn't aware of is the significance of Rem's reaction to mayonnaise. Those who read the "First Mayonnaise Disturbance" short story (or watched the first OVA which borrowed a tiny bit from it) know of Rem's disastrous attempts to win Subaru over with his favourite condiment.In fact, as a Re:Zero fan, it's always nice to see that the writers clearly went beyond the animes in search for content for Isekai Quartet, as Subaru's mayo fanaticism doesn't come up at all in the tv show.

Last edited by OrdepNM on Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The fact that the review did not recognize Albedo's move as a pro wrestling reference leaves me extremely disappointed.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
The fact that the review did not recognize Albedo's move as a pro wrestling reference leaves me extremely disappointed.

Actually, I didn't even realize that she was pulling a wrestling move there; I thought she just jumped on the guy. I followed pro wrestling during my high school and college years but had mostly lost interest by the mid '90s - IOW, before Chris Jericho came on the scene.

Fun Fact: Chris Jericho was active for a while in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) before hitting it big in the States and briefly returned there in 2017-18. That probably at least partly explains the reference here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Actually, I didn't even realize that she was pulling a wrestling move there; I thought she just jumped on the guy. I followed pro wrestling during my high school and college years but had mostly lost interest by the mid '90s - IOW, before Chris Jericho came on the scene.

Fun Fact: Chris Jericho was active for a while in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) before hitting it big in the States and briefly returned there in 2017-18. That probably at least partly explains the reference here.

He has actually been having matches a couple times each year for the last few years against New Japan's top stars (Kenny Omega, a pair of matches with Tetsuya Naito, and a match apiece against EVIL, Kazuchika Okada, and last month against Hiroshi Tanahashi).
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
OrdepNM wrote:

Japan but I dunno if Overlord has any wrestling references itself.

Dunno about overlord in specific too, but webnovels are full of references, I can talk about shield hero adn it's full of 2d fighting game references as well as anime ones. The old lady they save uses goku's fighitng style inlcuding the kamehameha and raftalia uses morrigan's nocturnal illusion.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For instance, concerning this episode: who in their right mind puts mayonnaise on wings? Or ketchup, for that matter?

Very strange to see karaage translated as wings. It's not like you're talking about some obscure Japan only food. It's just fried chicken. Though I don't think that makes the mayo or ketchup any better... (I'd be on the salt team :p)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4