• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Winter 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:32 am Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
The new shows that I'm watching that I'm sad aren't getting reviews are:
pet
The Case Files of Jeweler Richard
number24

Yeah, these are the shows I’m a little bummed about, too. On the other hand, I’m surprised and delighted that 22/7 and In/Spectre made the cut.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
You guys are going to regret not putting in the iyashikei that is Uchitama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 am Reply with quote
Disappointed that pet didn’t make it...

Other than that, I’m looking forward to reading the Somali and Hanako-kun reviews.
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote
No Pet, no Iruma but ID Invaded made it? Something went wrong here.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:10 am Reply with quote
Looks like a lot of my choices made it in. I would have been curious to see Seton and Orphen make it in. I didn't think of pet when voting, but that would have been interesting as well. Hopefully we get some season reviews for them Smile

redcar wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
Is there nobody at ANN other than Theron Martin willing to take up the tits and ass shows?

He's been reviewing such shows here for years, and has a wealth of experience to speak from regarding whether new entries are good or bad. I'd rather hear his opinion on them than anyone else's, frankly.

Agreed!
Florete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Florete wrote:
22/7 is the only I wanted that's missing. A good haul.

Mr. Beckett is covering it.

Oh, he is. Legit have no idea how I missed that.

Alright then this setup is perfect.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
Although I don't watch Iruma-kun, I would love to read reviews of Iruma-kun's episodes. Can someone rescue Iruma-kun(didn't similar happen to Given, which originally it didn't make it to reviews on ANN but eventually it was rescued). I'm feel bad for Iruma-kun fans.

Quote:
Theron Martin
Isekai Quartet 2
A Certain Scientific Railgun T
Interspecies Reviewers

Welp, poor Theron Martin, who he'll review Interspecies Reviewers with super fan service.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
I am neither shocked nor surprised that number24 didn't make the streaming reviews, just disappointed. It's a different take on sports anime that we rarely get to see, and I felt that Rebecca would have been a great choice to review the show, given she reviewed Stars Align, another original sports anime, last season. Guess that's the curse of the majority of sports anime.

It really is, which is a shame, because a lot of them are equally (if not more) about the character relationships and dynamics rather than the sport, and I think that's an interesting way to look at teams. Thanks for the vote of confidence, though - I'm planning to do a full review at the end of the season.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
uh, i'm surprised that Pet didn't make the cut.. i guess it was too much of a mind fudge for some people and they really didn't like the first episode. thats sad because episode 2 got way better and explained what happened.

A good surprise tho is Budoukan making the cut, even tho people here seems to be creeped out by it for some reason.
Sharinganhokage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
OH&S wrote:
3ngag3 wrote:
No more One Piece reviews?

Looks like it. Is Sam Leach taking a break?

One Piece - and Black Clover - reviews will return shortly. Sam did retire from his role here - we’re still hiring some fresh faces to fill those spots. We’ll update this article when we do. Shouldn’t be too long a wait.

I'm really grateful that this got clarified. I check the website everyday and I've been missing them but I started to really worry when I saw they weren't mentioned in the article.

I love lots of anime and read all the reviews for the ones I'm interested in but One Piece and Black Clover (And Boruto) are my year-round obsessions. This is also good news because I didn't necessarily like Sam's thoughts on them so it was usually a bittersweet experience. Looking forward to the next reviewer! Hopefully they're big fans!
asneakysnake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Why don’t we get to see the poll results?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
asneakysnake wrote:
Why don’t we get to see the poll results?

The poll is intended to assist in editorial's decisions which shows get covered - it does not, however, serve as a dictator that makes our decisions for us. We've never published the full results for that reason, so they cannot be used as a cudgel against us if we decide to cover something that's low on the list, or decide not to cover something that's relatively high. There are many, many factors in producing daily streaming reviews - it also takes into account what our writers actually want to cover, which in some cases may not be something that rated very high. Our budget dictates that we can only cover 20 shows - and those are hand-picked by myself and Lynzee, based on poll results, our perception of reader interest, and what our writers tell us they'd like to write about.

Maintaining a sense of autonomy outside of poll results is pretty important, and people can be... let's say very, very pushy about it otherwise.

Last edited by Zac on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Everything I voted for got in except Pet and Jewler Richard

I think Pet especially would have benefited from reviews but oh well

At least Chihayafuru made it despite being added a bit late
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Just as a side note, a lot of the shows that weren't selected for weekly reviews will instead be covered by This Week In Anime.

Black Clover and, as I said earlier, One Piece reviews will be returning shortly - we're in the process of hiring new writers for them. Shouldn't take too long.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Sharinganhokage wrote:
Zac wrote:
One Piece - and Black Clover - reviews will return shortly. Sam did retire from his role here - we’re still hiring some fresh faces to fill those spots. We’ll update this article when we do. Shouldn’t be too long a wait.

I'm really grateful that this got clarified. I check the website everyday and I've been missing them but I started to really worry when I saw they weren't mentioned in the article.

I love lots of anime and read all the reviews for the ones I'm interested in but One Piece and Black Clover (And Boruto) are my year-round obsessions. This is also good news because I didn't necessarily like Sam's thoughts on them so it was usually a bittersweet experience. Looking forward to the next reviewer! Hopefully they're big fans!

This. This has frustrated me for a while. Maybe this isn’t the place to bring it up but I don’t love how ANN handles these situations. I totally get that stuff happens-—reviewers leave, scheduling conflicts crop up, etc.—but, I mean, like let us know, man, don’t leave us hanging.

Maybe, moving forward, ANN could add a footnote to the final review and/or (with my preference being “and”) post a note in the comments saying the review is going on hiatus? I’m not asking for any back story or details about someone’s personal life or anything. Just a little heads-up so we’re not left wondering, week after missed week, what’s going on.

And I get that you guys don’t always know what’s going to happen and maybe hope there’s just going to be a week’s delay but, when it gets longer than that, I really think someone should step in and let readers—your fans and followers—know that there’s going to be a pause.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4