• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Somali and the Forest Spirit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Didn't the cat in episode one identify Somali's race by her odor? I suspect it's why the oni in the earlier episode knew she was human as well.

Right, as did Uzoi, as dragon695 mentioned. I meant that this was the first time it was really, really explicitly spelled out.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Dunno if it was intended, but I liked that the lady tale of the beastman being killed for saving the human had giant problem, mainly there's no way for the beastman to have heard it, since the only person who could have told them was dead. It really made it seems like it was just a made up tales to justify the hatred.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:35 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Dunno if it was intended, but I liked that the lady tale of the beastman being killed for saving the human had giant problem, mainly there's no way for the beastman to have heard it, since the only person who could have told them was dead. It really made it seems like it was just a made up tales to justify the hatred.

I'm more convinced each episode that the monsters' account of their past interactions with humans are an unreliable narrative. That this is just a version of the past they tell themselves to justify hunting and murdering, like how humans IRL have done to justify slavery. Most likely humans are terrified of the monsters for very good reasons, and any incidents where an innocent monster dies are the result of a completely justified fear.

Not that monsters are evil by nature, but that their society has justified such behaviors in the same way human society rationalizes. There's still hope for humans and monsters to get along, but it's going to be a long road to get there.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Technically the kid could have told the truth about it, but I do agree with your conclusion. With this story and with the witch's story it felt like human prejudice is way too exaggerated.

Although it should be noted that humans calling them all "grotesques" is definitely a real thing, as Haitora used it. So humans very likely aren't blameless, but that doesn't mean they're as bad as the stories make them out to be.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
meiam wrote:

Technically the kid could have told the truth about it, but I do agree with your conclusion. With this story and with the witch's story it felt like human prejudice is way too exaggerated.

It still work if the kid told the true, either he told the beastmen directly or the he told the human who then told the beastmen directly, a clear sign of repentance. Either way, it muddle the story quite a bit and it's significant that the lady just omitted this part.
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:48 am Reply with quote
Somali, her dad, and her two uncles.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
My family and I enjoyed this series very much. While we are sad to see it end with so many stories left to tell - we are glad that we got to spend the time we did in their world.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Got a feeling that this series will eventually end with the Golem turning into something portable that Somali can carry around. Probably cutting down the mass and restricting the power output from his core to extend his life functions. Then eventually becomes a weapon or shield for her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3