• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hinamatsuri Complete Series BD & Digital

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
I think Hinamatsuri is one of the great comedy/dramas and my only disappointment with the show was how the time skip had nothing to do with the main cast. Hina's in the title and not showing how she changed, if she changed, in high school is the most blatant "read the source material" creative decision I can mention.

Quote:
The entire plotline of having Anzu living in the park with the homeless community feels out of place – if it's intended to be funny that this thirteen-year-old girl is homeless or that she's taking her cues and life lessons from what are clearly meant to be kind of creepy old(er) men, it pretty much fails.

No, it's funny how a being who should be ruling the planet with her special powers is homeless and taking life lessons from fellow homeless men. Anything either Hina or Anzu does has to be put into context with the first episode's event of Hina utterly demolishing the rival Yakuza den of her own free will with minimal effort.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
This show was one of many anime comedies where I watched one or two episodes, thought it was OK, and then just sort of forgot about it. Certainly not a bad show, but lacking any sort of hook, relateableness, or whatever that would make it memorable enough to keep coming back for it every week. By that measure, B- seems about right to me.
jree78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
I thought this show was hilarious, and the sad parts hit. Hitomi’s situation was hilarious because she pretty much excelled at everything even if she didn’t want to, it’s a criticism on slackers in a way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2