• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Smile Down the Runway

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Poor pacing, random emotional outbursts that don't seem to really accomplish much, ending of episode 1 is stupid and feels cheap because of episode 2 undoing it immediately

Not a good show so far
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be one of my top Anime for this season so far it's really good I like both of the MC in this.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes were really enjoyable. It seems realistic to me that there are designers who may not be able to draw or sew well. The guy is running his own show - he has 39 other outfits to oversee - I imagine he can step down from the directors chair and become a camera operator and hope everything works out on its own.

Quote:
...Chiyuki eats LESS than two meals a day...
I'm pretty sure that's what is meant.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
Poor pacing, random emotional outbursts that don't seem to really accomplish much, ending of episode 1 is stupid and feels cheap because of episode 2 undoing it immediately

Not a good show so far

They rushed through a bunch of material which shouldn't have been compiled into one episode. However if they followed the manga's pacing the season would end halfway through an arc so it's a lose/lose situation from the beginning
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
The thing that always seems most far-fetched to me is the scene(s) where the protagonist who's seeking a job/chance/favor thinks the way to do that is to shout at the top of your lungs and demand to be accommodated. Maybe that's how it's done in Japan, but I'm skeptical.

Speaking of shouting, Ikuto has a bit of a temper. While he had every right to go off on Chiyuki for her behavior, the way he confronted her was downright scary, and his reaction after his outburst actually made it more so. That's some real Jekyll and Hyde stuff there, and it might've been lucky the scissors were across the room.

I'll watch the next episode to see how the show turns out, but I have a feeling I might bail on this one sooner than later.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:12 am Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
It seems realistic to me that there are designers who may not be able to draw or sew well.

It's about as realistic as an illiterate novelist or a baker who doesn't know what an oven is.

If Hajime ever showed up in an actual design company with the genius skills he portrays in the show or the manga, not to mention his horrible temper that makes him completely unsuited for organizing a fashion show, he would have been told to go seek employment in the nearest Starbucks.

Smile Down the Runway is a funny soap opera precisely because it's almost comically clueless about both the modeling business and how actual humans behave in a working environment. Please never consider using the lessons it teaches you in the presence of actual living humans.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
I never watched the second episode because the show did not click for me, but I was really surprised to read all that fuss about Chiyuki like she's some kind of snobbish monster, and when I watched the show, I just saw that Chiyuki was a) rich b) female and c) had a classic shounen protagonist mindset. All three of those combined elicited some pretty mean comments. Chill down a bit. I think the point is to stress out the frustration of being almost privileged about your dream - she has it all except for the height. She could have had it all, but only one thing stops her. Non "privileged" tall girls have more chances of becoming models than this "privileged" short girl, theoretically. Also, the main reason her father owns the company is to give her a sentimental motive and not a materialistic one about her goal.

Things like skipping meals are far more problematic than any of the storytelling choices above.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:

Quote:
...Chiyuki eats LESS than two meals a day...
I'm pretty sure that's what is meant.

Apparently they translated it wrong. According to Katsura95 on Reddit, as well as translations in manga I've seen:
Katsura95 wrote:
The subs are wrong; what she actually says is "一朝一夕じゃできないもの", which roughly translates to "This isn't something you could do in just a short amount of time." It's not nearly as brutal as the subs would make it.

I'm also feel iffy about the whole "genius boss is asshole overworking his people to illness". This and "Budoukan" anime are two series that are hard to watch for me because of the issues I have with some of their central themes.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Smile Down the Runway is basically the Bakuman of fashion; there are teeeeeny little kernels of truth hiding somewhere in the story, but it's basically a fashion-themed soap opera.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to keep watching honestly because I've always been hooked before with fashion-centric stories in anime, but I do agree that it does feel a little under-researched and the creators are pushing my suspension of disbelief a bit.

Also, I love that the reviewer called attention to eclectic or camp designers like The Blonds.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:57 am Reply with quote
The Shounen Jump Formula really only works for things the audience knows very little about. To be fair, that's probably a fair assumption for most of the viewers of this anime, but not everyone, as we see here. The more you understand a thing, the sillier and less respectful the formula feels, as it glosses over subtleties and depth that you know about.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, while I like the show, this episode really does push my suspension of disbelief too far. I just can’t believe that any designer would send what’s basically someone else’s design—and by a student he barely knows, no less—down the runway as his statement piece. I’ll see how the next episode goes but, right now, this one’s on the bubble for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm liking the reviews more than the show. I don't know or even really care much about fashion. But it's sort of interesting reading the takes on it in the reviews, since there's insight I couldn't hope to have. All I knew was that the patchwork idea was stupid too and agency manager is a douche. Very Happy

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
lex63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:

Not a good show so far

Episode 1 is one off the best episodes from the 5 episodes what i have seen. If you don't like this kind of Anime that is a other thing.
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
First, he'll need to make it past the second round of Geika's competition. This time they'll be asked to create a design that's given to them, essentially patternmaking. Kokoro and Ikuto succeed entirely off screen, leading them both to the final round where they will have to create a design centered on the hiragana for "Wa."

If I am not mistaken, Ikuto was fast-tracked to finals along with the other two whose designs from the first round were chosen in the last episode, thus bi-passing the second round.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2