• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm a Kuroko Apologist all the way through. Her comedy scenes with Mikoto can get annoying if overused, but they're sometimes freaking hilarious (AB spoilers? Kind of?), and she's always been a great Judgement embodiment of fighting for justice, however small it is. Her power is just cool, too.

I'm with you there. I absolutely love Kuroko. While I can see where others are coming from with disliking her comedic scenes, they tend not to occur during inappropriate times story-wise, so they haven't really bothered me. And as with this latest episode and a good number of previous episodes over the three seasons of Railgun have demonstrated, the comedic scenes are far from all that make up Kuroko. I think one thing that helps sell it for me is her Japanese VA. Her VA nails the comedic scenes, as well as fully embodying Kuroko's pride and confidence in episodes such as this one.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I think Kuroko has good synergy with Uiharu, but I don't think she has good synergy with Mikoto which the series seems to love to push way, way more. That relationship is just too one sided. Mikoto wants to protect Kuroko and keep her in the dark, and Kuroko wants to lust after her onee-sama who has absolutely no interest in her that way.

Mikoto and Misaki on the other hand I think work great together. Their characters bounce off each other in fun ways, and they feel much more like equals.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Seagloom wrote:
Quote:
This is another one, and it's all for Kuroko fans. (If such individuals actually exist?)

Judging by the r/anime thread, they apparently do. As a Kuroko hater myself, I really enjoyed this episode. It made me like her a bit more which is something even her battle with Mitori failed to do despite stellar execution from the staff.

Between this arc and the last, I'm now convinced every character in this franchise is exponentially improved the further they are from their crush.

which all but proves that misaki should have kept those memories of that man hating lesbian under wraps!

also i have to agree with theron martin.the odds of finding actual people that are kuroko fans are the same as finding fans of sword oratoria's lefiya! SLIM TO NONE considering how disliked & hated their antics are from the fanbase. especially if their antics foil the couple shipping EVERYONE WANTS TO HAPPEN!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see some Frenda action before the Index world collapses!
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
This is the kind of show you need to binge back to back in order to get all the nuances across franchises and arcs. Too bad RT was delayed so much, I finished I3 a few weeks ago and I was scratching my head all along. Now I’m like “Oooooh! So that’s who he/she/them is/are!” And yeah, pretty dark undertones, spoiler[what with so many people dead in 10 days and all, especially Frederica.] Something that still bothers me is how the relationship b/w the ITEM members changed so much from what is depicted in RT to what it eventually turns out to be in I3. Is this maybe something else that will be further explored in RT?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Mugino has been shown to be violent and uncaring towards her team back in Railgun S and even here in Railgun T (Frenda getting pummeled by her when the Daihaseisai representative thing is mentioned, Frenda sends a message to Saten about Mugino being a violent gorilla)
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I’m no expert on the franchise so maybe I don’t have the full story, but I will try to stand my ground: the Mugino depicted in RS/T is far from the deranged psycho she was portrayed as in I3. In Railgun she was violent, but she always seemed to care somehow for the members of the group. In I3 she’s just... a nutjob. Which one’s the “real” Mugino?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:04 pm Reply with quote
In Index 3 her careless attitude towards Takitsubo is the same as the one in Railgun S. The way she treats Frenda is directly a result of what happens that arc and how she's been pushed to the limit, and then she just keeps digging her hole deeper, yes. She's still a character after Index 3, and she's about the same.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Just a SPOILER warning for anyone who hasn’t seen I3:

Yes, she is careless towards Takitsubo, even Touma#2, but never in Railgun did she seem like she would want to kill them, did she? At least I can’t rememeber it. As for Frenda (I just realized I called her Frederica before, I’m binging Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Frederica Greenhill is top of mind at the moment), yes - I agree that Mugino was definitely pushed to a certain limit which must be why she snapped. But I3 apparently does a terrible job at depicting what the conditions pushing her over the edge actually were, which is my original point. Are we going to see that in more detail in Railgun? It seems like you’ve read the novels so maybe you have a better perspective.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
^ No we will not. What drove Mugino to the edge was Kakine, pretty much, coupled with spoiler[Frenda's betrayal]. Those are exclusive to that arc, and won't get explored here at all.
Stiles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:
Yes, she is careless towards Takitsubo, even Touma#2, but never in Railgun did she seem like she would want to kill them, did she? At least I can’t rememeber it. As for Frenda (I just realized I called her Frederica before, I’m binging Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Frederica Greenhill is top of mind at the moment), yes - I agree that Mugino was definitely pushed to a certain limit which must be why she snapped. But I3 apparently does a terrible job at depicting what the conditions pushing her over the edge actually were, which is my original point. Are we going to see that in more detail in Railgun? It seems like you’ve read the novels so maybe you have a better perspective.

Railgun gives the viewer a somewhat false impression of Mugino during the expanded Sister's arc, but as killjoy_the pointed out, the foreshadowing is there, it's just fairly subtle.

You have to understand that all four members of ITEM debut in the same novel (OT15). The reader doesn't actually spend all that much time with ITEM before the fit hits the shan in chapter four. But consider that Mugino does kill Youbo, have a short scuffle with Kakine, and then aggressively chases him and SCHOOL across Academy City. So without the anime, you get the impression that she's obsessive and deranged.

Frenda is tortured by Kakine and essentially forced to betray ITEM's location to him. Mugino loses ITEM's hideout, loses in a straight fight to Kakine and her team gets scattered. She's over the edge because she loses nearly everything to the #2. Mugino somehow tracks down Frenda, gets the truth out of her (probably the same way Kakine did, ironically), and well, Frenda becomes Fre/nda.

It's problematic because there's more than a dozen things going on during the Battle Royal and simply not enough time to flesh out every single character within the scope of one novel, Index III notwithstanding. Toward the end of WWIII you see that Mugino does regret the things that she did, so she does have her character development, but it's not going to be in Railgun T.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
More SPOILERS

Ok, thanks to both. I think I understand it better now, especially that the novels do a much better job at fleshing out the characters’ motivations than the anime does but are not perfect in that regard anyway. I mean, I know I3 anime was too condensed for its own good, but I was under the (apparently false) impression that the Railgun anime was a bit clearer in the subcontext, which is the one issue I’ve had with the Index side anime all along. I mean, I don’t think it was even stated in the anime that Frenda was tortured by Kakine, just beat up. And without the fairly important character context, I kept thinking Mugino’s overreaction was out of place. I didn’t even notice at first glance that what Mugino was dragging along was Fre/nda, I just figured it was her bloodied body. In retrospect, and after reading your comments, it all makes much more sense. This whole series is just too long for me to actually go back and watch it chronologically, but maybe I should give it a try. I think I’ll see many things I hadn’t during my first run.
Heibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Birriaman wrote:
More SPOILERS

Ok, thanks to both. I think I understand it better now, especially that the novels do a much better job at fleshing out the characters’ motivations than the anime does but are not perfect in that regard anyway. I mean, I know I3 anime was too condensed for its own good, but I was under the (apparently false) impression that the Railgun anime was a bit clearer in the subcontext, which is the one issue I’ve had with the Index side anime all along. I mean, I don’t think it was even stated in the anime that Frenda was tortured by Kakine, just beat up. And without the fairly important character context, I kept thinking Mugino’s overreaction was out of place. I didn’t even notice at first glance that what Mugino was dragging along was Fre/nda, I just figured it was her bloodied body. In retrospect, and after reading your comments, it all makes much more sense. This whole series is just too long for me to actually go back and watch it chronologically, but maybe I should give it a try. I think I’ll see many things I hadn’t during my first run.

I like the current story. I've read the manga past this point. I'm just sad that characters I've grown to like are dead in the series before this. Though a few I didn't read about in the manga, but ones like Frenda - she was so likable.(I really hated that part in the earlier anime.).
reaslin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
“Ha det bra” is the functional equivalent of “good-bye” in the Norwegian language.

I first suspected that she was generically Scandinavian, since I thought she used the Danish word "dejlig". On closer examination I concluded that it was the Norwegian "deilig" though. Her fondness for fish would be in line with stereotypical Norwegianness as well.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Knowing the events of Index III, the ending to this week's episode has me pretty bummed... Dang it Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14