• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Makoto Shinkai Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Note to the author - Your Name is actually not the highest-grossing film in Japan, where Spirited Away remains at the top, beating out Your Name by more than ¥5 billion yen (around $46 million dollars). It also sits behind Titanic and Frozen at the Japanese box office. Where Your Name does reign victorious, however, is worldwide, where it is the highest-grossing Japanese film of all time -- just not in its native box office.

You're right, I got that detail wrong - I'll be more careful in the future.

But I am pretty sure that worldwide gross is the reason Miyazaki decided to make another film.
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
An early Shinkai production I particularly like is Haru no Ashioto -- it was a short (about 2 minutes) promotional clip for a computer game of the same name by Minori released back in 2004. It's got the Shinkai themes of love and separation (and trains too) and a Tenmon soundtrack.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I haven't seen Shinkai's past three works yet, but I'm not the hugest fan of the recurring theme that most of his films riff on.
I'm actually very much the same on this. I went into Your Name. at AX thinking the same thing. I was pleasantly surprised by how different it was and that I enjoyed it. 5 centimetres, I couldn't stand it except for how beautiful it looked. I haven't seen the newest one, but I'm sure it is different too so I'd give it a try.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Call me unsentimental, but the whole "wistful, pining, distant unfulfilled love" setup doesn't do a whole lot for me personally. 5 cm/s left me feeling especially cold: the entire film boils down to "grown-ass man still can't get over his middle-school crush for some reason."

I know it's not your favorite film, but if you ever got the urge, I would definitely say to give it another watch. The crux of the main character's pain is actually a lot deeper than that. To be blunt and more simplistic about it, by the end of the movie his issue isn't that he can get over a childhood love, but how that interrupted romance created a domino effect that inadvertently negatively impacted all his other romantic relationships that followed. I like the film, but it isn't without it's flaws. I feel like this nuanced theme would have had a better chance of coming through if the movie had an extra 20-30 minutes to play with.

On the flip-side, Garden of Words surpassed 5cms as my all-time Shinkai favorite due to how much it's able to accomplish in 40 minutes.
Netero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
The 2016 anime "She and Her Cat - Everything Flows" is not an alternative version of "She and her Cat" as implied in the article, it's a prequel. It's made quite clear after the closing credits of Everything Flows that spoiler[after Daru's death he is eventually reincarnated as Chobi and reunited with Miyu, which then leads into the scenario of the original She and Her Cat.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2