• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interspecies Reviewers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
This is probably the peak of the weird fetishes the anime will adapt. Probably. I'd lose it if they adopted the spoiler[aquarium] chapter from volume 3 and made it more explicit like what they've been doing to most of the adapted chapters. The egg laying chapters were adapted to be a bit more explicit, but not by that much. Next episode is a lot more tame in the fetish department, thankfully.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I did like the harpy like receptionist.

Pretty sure she was supposed to be an owl girl with the way she was moving her head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
I did like the harpy like receptionist.

Pretty sure she was supposed to be an owl girl with the way she was moving her head.

That is kind of my assumption too, but it was not her only difference from birdmaids of the likes of Meidri, she had a specific difference in her wings being her arms, while Meidri and others have their wings from their back. Might not notice at first, but going back I did, and the subtitles I watched mentioned birdmaids and harpies like they are different things, which made me wonder if that was what the receptionist was meant to be. Not going off of what I know of recent D&D, harpies were traditionally the arms as wings thing, Papi from Monster Musume also has this body build with wings as well as similarly thin compared to the other birdmaids. I seem to remember from when I was really into mythology that a specific trait of the harpy was their ability to swoop and grab, which she did seem to do to the lamia that got too excited. I think the original tale were of a plague on a king that was blinded and whenever he would try to eat harpies would swoop down and steal his food.

Also about lamia, I said this back with Monster Musume, the egg obsession is actually super on brand with them in mythology over just their connection with being snakes. Mythology of the lamia specifically connect with it eating children.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
Is egg-laying considered that far out of a fetish? Perhaps I read way too many doujinshi... (^.^')
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Is egg-laying considered that far out of a fetish? Perhaps I read way too many doujinshi... (Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop)

True, I'm a bit surprised by the reactions I've seen here and elsewhere to be honest. It might not be my own kink, but it certainly doesn't feel that strange as far as fetishes go...
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:09 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Ok this is probably the first anime I've ever seen that animated a real life poll from the manga with the real life results. And Stunk holding a baby Meidri whos kicking him with her talons is both funny and strangely adorable. This show never fails to entertain.

Fairly sure the entire popularity poll in Gintama was based on real-life results.

Also, boo for half a star off for filling an awkward 5 minute chunk with something the fans clearly want, Theron, instead of rushing and potentially butchering actual content. Boo I say! :p

Finally, it was awesome to see Katrina Leonoudakis get credited for her above and beyond localisation. I'd rather watch the censored version with her subs than the uncensored without. Seeing her decisions and intuitions in translation is part of the fun. Im glad they've given her so much translation freedom on a show that frankly demands it. A lesser translator would have given in to the temptation to use Egg-spurts at least once. IR has enough groans for that. Anime smile
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:18 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
True, I'm a bit surprised by the reactions I've seen here and elsewhere to be honest. It might not be my own kink, but it certainly doesn't feel that strange as far as fetishes go...

They're lucky it was just eggs that were being laid then. There's a lot worse it could have been given whats out there.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:08 am Reply with quote
Something from Interspecies Reviewers that was tamer than something from Monster Musume, I never would have expected that. Still, looking at fetishes from an interspecies perspective though... we're getting into Far Side territory. See, the egg laying show is explicitly designed to stimulate egg eating species but it's not trying to invoke lust, just physical hunger. "Imagine Nature but with animals as people". Interesting how having predators happily enjoy unfertlized eggs being laid would help protect fertilized eggs.

Then there's the actually irony of Meidri doing exactly what the guys imagined egg laying could be behind closed doors. For her, it was very much a matter of... exactly what they imagined.

Half because she looks more human to please the audience, half because she is more human which would mean certain evolutionary traits regarding sex that came up the primate line are part of her DNA. So laying an egg of that width should be... exactly what they imagined.

Imagination is a terrible thing to waste but sometimes a terrible thing to use.

My favorite part of the episode was the end polling and how much of it was being influenced by Crim's reviews.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
Charou wrote:
Also, boo for half a star off for filling an awkward 5 minute chunk with something the fans clearly want, Theron, instead of rushing and potentially butchering actual content. Boo I say! :p

I kinda agree with Theron. I’m not sure if there are side stories in the manga, but I think something like a quick comedic segment would have worked better for me than the extended mitsue’s room.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
Charou wrote:
Finally, it was awesome to see Katrina Leonoudakis get credited for her above and beyond localisation. I'd rather watch the censored version with her subs than the uncensored without. Seeing her decisions and intuitions in translation is part of the fun. Im glad they've given her so much translation freedom on a show that frankly demands it. A lesser translator would have given in to the temptation to use Egg-spurts at least once. IR has enough groans for that. Anime smile

Yeah, this is something that I need to start mentioning in the reviews, as I have also been impressed with how the subtitles have been handled for the AnimeLab-only episodes.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Then there's the actually irony of Meidri doing exactly what the guys imagined egg laying could be behind closed doors. For her, it was very much a matter of... exactly what they imagined.

Also a good point, and an angle that I hadn't considered. Fully agree with this and the rest of your elaboration on the point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Is egg-laying considered that far out of a fetish? Perhaps I read way too many doujinshi... (Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop)

It's not so much the egg laying as the crocodile girls and penguin girls doing the egg laying IMO. The main 3 were excited for the prospect of egg laying until they saw the girls doing it, which sums up my opinion on the matter. Egg laying is about urophilia tier as far as fetishes go, weird to a normal person, but not too revolting or uncommon.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

They're lucky it was just eggs that were being laid then. There's a lot worse it could have been given whats out there.

Well yes, but that's a birthing fetish, not egg laying, different tags
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The one pertinent question that the series doesn't answer is what egg-layers like Meidri who don't sell off their eggs in shows do with them

The manga gives us a clue as to what Meidri does with her eggs. spoiler[An avian obstetrician recommends birdmaids sit on their unfertilized eggs in order to simulate incubation, which fools the body into thinking it has laid fertilized eggs. That way, a birdmaid can avoid monthly bouts of ovulation for a certain period of time.] However I can imagine the eggs will have to be thrown out eventually because they'll get spoiled.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
aaa1e2r3 wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Well yes, but that's a birthing fetish, not egg laying, different tags

Well there's that, but I think he was talking about solid waste material.
bennyl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
Reaction in this episode were right on pointe. I went through this exact same thing when a buddy brought me along to the club to see "Bridgette the midget". He was way to in to it. I was not at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13