• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's not like this is anything new. There is a good reason why Tv Tropes choose Madoka Magica to be the page image for their "Enhanced on DVD" page. And also why the "Anime and Manga" folder has a section dedicated to series done by Shaft.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EnhancedOnDVD
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, it's rather nostalgic (though still infuriating) to see this kind of "TV version SHAFT" episode since I don't think I've seen them cut this much corners since their 2000s output. On a side note, at least we get a little goofy scene of Yachiyo taking Madoka and her friends to the amusement park. Laughing
Malsang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Dayum, this episode was a huge mess. Characters visibly talking but no recorded dialogue? Characters saying lines but no subtitles? Action scenes where entire cuts are straight up missing? Meduka-level detail shots? Laughably wonky 3DCG physics? All of the above each happen multiple times this episode. Heck, they even spliced in footage from the old concept movie that came out way back in 2015. Worst of all, scenes are so desperately stitched together that the main event doesn't make any sense. I get that Touka is trying to lure all nearby witches to Kamihama in a bid to reel in Walpurgisnacht to feed to Eve, and that multiple groups of magical girls around Kamihama are dealing with the fallout of that, but the way the scenes are shot make it look like everyone is at one big witch rave. Unless this was a *very* conscientious decision by Shaft to allocate more resources towards the final episodes at the expense of this one (ha!), then this is the mark of a production that has completely gone off the rails. Mark my words, there will be a recap in the remaining two episodes. Honestly, this episode should have been a recap instead. Otherwise we'll be looking at a Marchen Madchen situation.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
they don't have time for a recap other then postponing the next two eps and likely they are done already as anime has to move faster for simulcast.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
When am I getting my Madoka Magica Magia Record Battle Truck Playset
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
yea that was great
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
this ep was... needed more time blu-ray fixes I hope as this is about as bad as the last set of eps from og eva plot stuff is good and they seem to have slightly reworked Mitama's plot for the anime that makes some sense not bad just lots of plot
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The show may be going downhill again, but at least episode 7 had a cool action scene that I was actually able to follow.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Was it really necessary to drop an F bomb in the review?
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious: due to the well-known circumnstances surrounding the last episode's subtitles, couldn't this review have been postponed until the problem was fixed? Or is there a fixed deadline that reviewers must always meet, no exceptions?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Pirates had (afaik) official subs up pretty fast, taken from bilibili. Sure this problem originated at Shaft, sending incomplete data, but I feel like Funi or whoever has had plenty of time to fix the episode's subs by now
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, forgot to talk about the episode.

The battle to rescue Tsuruno and the leadup to it were decent enough, but the stuff with Mami felt pretty rushed and once again made me feel like the show would be so much better if the old cast just wasn't in it. But fanservice I guess.

Oh, and I still don't care about Kuroe. I agree with her dopple thingy. She should stop trying to be a part of this story Laughing
Nate148

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Tsuruno deal is also about haveing her dad restaurant on her shoulders and Yachiyo did not understand that for tsuruno the dead eyed look she has had is more or less her happy face as she can just de stress
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
I'm curious: due to the well-known circumnstances surrounding the last episode's subtitles, couldn't this review have been postponed until the problem was fixed? Or is there a fixed deadline that reviewers must always meet, no exceptions?

James and I were talking regularly when he first notified me of the problem. He waited something like 24-48 hours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nate148

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 am Reply with quote
yea this is not great
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9