• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In/Spectre

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
The Steel Lady arc was very long so it makes sense it'd cover most the anime but obviously it'd feel like it's dragging for some. The good news is that any arcs after the Steel Lady arc are like the snake story at the start of the show (which was an arc that occurs after the Steel Lady arc).
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Kiskaloo wrote:
I admit I don't remember why Rikka created SLN in the first place and had to go back and read the synopsis where it was explained.

And where was this (and what episode?)? In the review for Episode 8 Steve wrote, "Her exact motivations are still up in the air, so it's possible those will be stupid..." and I haven't seen any explanation since that. So what is her motive (assuming it's been revealed already as you say)?

I'm going off the Episode 8 synopsis in the Wikipedia article:

spoiler["Kotoko suspects Rikka has been experimenting to see how powerful her ability to choose futures can be."]

spoiler[My interpretation of the recent episodes is that the more people believe a thing, the more real it becomes. Ergo, the more people who believe SNL is a vengeful ghost that kills people, the more SNL becomes just that. And in modern society, a quick and effective way to shape people's perceptions and beliefs is using social media, so that is the vector Rikka and Kotoko both use.]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx wrote:
The Steel Lady arc was very long so it makes sense it'd cover most the anime but obviously it'd feel like it's dragging for some. The good news is that any arcs after the Steel Lady arc are like the snake story at the start of the show (which was an arc that occurs after the Steel Lady arc).

Too bad that there are no arcs to be animated after this one for the time being.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Leviathonlx wrote:

Too bad that there are no arcs to be animated after this one for the time being.

?
There are, the snake episode is actually from a chapter after the steel lady arc
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:
Leviathonlx wrote:

?
There are, the snake episode is actually from a chapter after the steel lady arc

Other way around, the anime is done so the steel lady arc is all we'll get.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 am Reply with quote
Ugh, this show was so frustrating. The final scenes of the last episode reminded me of what I liked most about the show: clever dialogue between interesting characters who relate to the world with very different perspectives for good reasons. You could just see how Kuro’s trauma colors his worldview and how it drives his impulse to push Kotoko away, and how Kotoko senses that and refuses to budge, for his sake as much as for her own. And when Kurt told Saki that Kotoko deserves happiness, it showed how much he cares for her despite his ambivalence about being in a relationship, Theirs is a dramatic dynamic to explore, peppered with humor. But...
Those middle episodes *dragged*. We get it, a good conspiracy theory has to have nuggets of truth and be interesting enough for people to discuss online. That’s a cool concept to explore, but it was all done in “tell” and stretched out to a very boring anti-climax that barely addresses that there was a *person* behind it all. They couldn’t confront Kuro’s cousin in person because...why? Sure, she’s immortal and perhaps a bit impervious to empathy, but that doesn’t mean she wouldn’t be worth reasoning with. Kotoko’s skills would be much better served trying to convince her that it’s not in her best interest to put innocent people in danger in her quest to be normal again. Maybe reroute her research impulse to something less deadly but just as interesting. If anyone can convince an unusual person to change their focus, it’s Kotoko. But it felt like they didn’t even try to find her (wouldn’t the youkai know where another “monster” would be hiding out) and they left her as a budding super villain despite being two of the closest people in her life. If they would have explained why they didn’t try to confront her, it wouldn’t bother me. As they left it, it feels like an obvious, aggravating plot hole.

And yet, I would still totally check out another season, for the dialogue, the characters, their relationship dynamics, and Kotoko’s adorable wardrobe! Here’s hoping!
VerQuality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
This was a fun series. I think at least one episode could have been cut from the Steel Lady arc, but the pacing was generally fine. This is one of those shows that I can't really see myself rewatching, but I was happy enough watching it once, and I would watch a future continuation.
The reviews were really good as well, they really tried to grapple with the underlying themes of the series, which, with an anime like this, is really most of the appeal (in addition to Kotoko's face game).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6