• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon TV Anime Gets 3rd Season in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:03 am Reply with quote
Woohoo! I didn't think we'd ever get another season of this. And I was just thinking of re-watching it too, guess I now have a good reason to on top of that, though I think I'll now wait till it's closer to the new season Very Happy
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Does it really county as isekai when it's a video game?

Also it's only been just over 5 years. Season 2 premiered in October 2014. It will air pretty much exactly 6 years from when Season 2 did.
Absolutely - it does not matter if the parallel world is real or virtual as long as characters transported and stuck there without the easy way to get back and moving between their own world and another one (the basis trope of the isekai genre as a whole). So essentially Log Horizon is belonged to isekai novels, no disputes there.

Though, now there is the real question... Can we have Database as opening for the third season too, please?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:36 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Not sure how I feel about this, the first season was good and I am interested in the overall plot of the show, but if this 3rd season is like the boring slog that was Season 2, then I'm not sure I'm interested.

Relax man, as someone who knows what is coming next, this will defintly be better plot wise as there is a lot of politcal warfare in this season, more so than before so im sure it will be great.

Im just so freaking happy this is getting a s3 as the chances for it after all this time were so slim i practically gave up, Thank go i was wrong.

2020 is shaping up to be a good year Very Happy
imperative7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
This is a wonderful and happy surprise for sure. I never expected to see another season of Log Horizon. I've loved this series since I first saw it several years ago and I even own the series on Blu-Ray (the complete collection with both seasons) and I just watched the first season on Blu-Ray within the last week or so.

I'm so excited about this and I can't wait for the new season. With SAO ending later on this year (for now), this will fill my isekai needs for a while. Now I have to go back and watch season 2 on my Blu-Rays before the new season comes out. And I want Database to be the theme again as it's a fantastic opening theme song and it wouldn't be Log Horizon without it.

And I hope that Hidive does a simuldub of the new season. That would be great also.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
Definitely happy to have more animated Log Horizon. Didn't think we'd get anymore after the tax evasion indictment. Surprised that NHK (which uses public funds) is willing to fund more to be honest. I'll have to rewatch both seasons again before it airs to refresh myself.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:15 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Log Horizon is one of the best family friendly isekai shows

Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:10 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I'm not sure why people are so convinced that the author getting busted for tax evasion is the absolute death of a series. If he got caught smoking a joint, that probably would be, but not tax evasion.

Anyway. Very excited about this.

I guess because we heard nothing about another season for so long, people thought it was done for. Not a stretch to think that.

Happy for this news. Enjoy the world and such much better than SAO.
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:14 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Does it really county as isekai when it's a video game?

Also it's only been just over 5 years. Season 2 premiered in October 2014. It will air pretty much exactly 6 years from when Season 2 did.
Absolutely - it does not matter if the parallel world is real or virtual as long as characters transported and stuck there without the easy way to get back and moving between their own world and another one (the basis trope of the isekai genre as a whole). So essentially Log Horizon is belonged to isekai novels, no disputes there.

Though, now there is the real question... Can we have Database as opening for the third season too, please?

Nope, since isekai means crap by default.
And I'm pretty sure it started way before crapsekai era.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
Kamiyan3991 wrote:
Tropes is just tropes, what matters is the quality of writing. Still not changed the fact that LogHora is isekai.

And in fact it's not really started way before, more like being one of the pioneers of Narou web novels era - original WN started around of same time as Overlord and Knight's and Magic, both being notorious isekai.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
Nice, but I've forgotten most of the story now, tbh.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:41 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Kamiyan3991 wrote:
Tropes is just tropes, what matters is the quality of writing. Still not changed the fact that LogHora is isekai.

And in fact it's not really started way before, more like being one of the pioneers of Narou web novels era - original WN started around of same time as Overlord and Knight's and Magic, both being notorious isekai.

Isekai is really just a modern term and genre for something we didn't have a name for before. There have been stories about people being trapped in other worlds before we had a popular word for it. Look at titles like Fushigi Yugi or the Twelve Kingdoms. Even by more modern standards of the last 20 years you have one of the founders of the trope, .hack//Sign, which just happens to be about being trapped in a video game.

Also I love it when people make derogatory blanket statements about isekai as if Spirited Away didn't win an Oscar or something. Wink

On topic: I was just thinking the other day that I should start reading the books since the show will NEVER get a third season. Looks like I'll be saving a bit of money now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Just one thing to say... DATABASE DATABASE!
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote
Best year of anime of me, hands down...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, and I was just thinking a few minutes earlier that the Log Horizon anime will never be continued.

"You know, I'd like to see more Haruhi Suzumiya adapted but I know that will never happen."
Hey, you never know.
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
This makes me happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4