• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steins;Gate Game Gets Hollywood Live-Action Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I can see some potential in adapting it as a live-action show, but Hollywood's track record with anime properties is extremely spotty, so I can't say I have a lot of confidence.

I wonder what kind of racial diversity the cast will end up with. Who will still be Japanese? Just Okabe? Will Kurisu just be "Chris" now?

And some of the characterizations are so steeped in anime that I'm not sure if they'll still feel the same "Americanized." Like Mayuri especially. I'm not sure how Luka would come off.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I would be surprised if this even gets off the ground and that this doesn’t wind up like the live action SAO, Naruto, My Hero Academia, and all the other Hollywood remakes that get announced and nothing happens with them. Sometimes I think Hollywood sweeps in just to secure an anime IP just to get a lockdown on the IP.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I would be surprised if this even gets off the ground and that this doesn’t wind up like the live action SAO, Naruto, My Hero Academia, and all the other Hollywood remakes that get announced and nothing happens with them. Sometimes I think Hollywood sweeps in just to secure an anime IP just to get a lockdown on the IP.

Isn't there supposed to be a One Piece show in the works too?

Is production moving forward on that Gundam movie? I haven't heard much since they hired a writer.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
To be honest I'm not entirely thrilled about this, especially if it's a straight up western adaptation of the original plot and characters. I think it could work if they just used the general concept but with a different cast of characters and a new story to go along with it. I feel the same way about Netflix's Death Note movie- instead of being a retelling of the original plot, they could have explored a different story with different characters. That's just my two cents though. I'm not a big fan of straight-up adaptations because a lot of the time it's just redundant and doesn't measure up to the original.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Isn't there supposed to be a One Piece show in the works too?

Is production moving forward on that Gundam movie? I haven't heard much since they hired a writer.

Let’s go through these fails one step at a time -

SAO - Same company that claims they’re doing this. Last news was 2018 when the rights were sold to Netflix. No hide or hair of it since.

Naruto - Optioned by Lionsgate. That’s it. Optioning just means interest, little else.

MHA - Also optioned by Lionsgate.

One Piece - Same company that’s doing the now delayed Cowboy Bebop. They hired a writing team and have promised a MASSIVE budget, but that’s it. There was a fake rumor Letitia Wright was supposed to play Nami (which seemed designed to turn people against the show because no one wanted her playing Nami) but it’s been debunked.

Gundam - Most recent news was the hiring of Brian K. Vaughan as a writer and Sunrise teasing the design of the movie Gundam was in progress. That’s it.

We should be safe.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I've thought for a long time all the framework is there for a great live-action Steins;Gate, it just depends on having someone behind it who really cares about the source material. Which is a big ask I'll grant. Still, I'm not going to completely dismiss it right off.

As for Steins;Gate 0 Elite, definite buy there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Don't we have enough Hollywood time travel movies?

That's like asking doesn't Japan have enough isekai movies,animes,light novels, mangas, radio dramas &, video games.

jellybeanbandit wrote:
Steins;Gate is entirely dependent on its roots in otaku culture. Even the anime's dub messed that up by replacing all the anime and otaku references with Star Trek, Portal, and Dr. Who references. An actual Hollywood movie has no chance.

Not for nothing but that makes more sense considering that not all non japanese people are familiar with otaku culture.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Could be worse could be like Harmony Gold.

Lo Wang wrote:
This is going to be a shitshow that will butcher another well known Japanese properity. Seems Hollywood hasn't learned their lesson with the Scarlet in the Shell flop.

I mean Edge Of Tommorrow is getting a sequel and the Detective Pikachu and Alita movies despite underperforming slightly are considered a decent adaptation of the source material so.......
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't see this working...

Well the concept itself could, but they will 100% ditch all the otaku stuff and make it about Westaboo Star Wars and Dr. Who instead... maybe some gaming... That Fortnite sure is popular! And POP! Vinyl Figures galore.

As for live-action SAO, didn't those clowns say they were looking at Game of Thrones and wanted that, but SAO???

It's likely the cost that's keeping them away.

But you know what? If I were doing Hollywood SAO, I'd make the real-world live action, and make the VR world entirely real-time in-engine Unreal 4 cutscene graphics running on the highest end PCs. Especially with next-gen on the horizon and hardware raytracing, there are some really nice visuals being done that come very close to photorealistic. They can just use performance capture, and the characters don't need to be photo-real in design, they could just make more stylized versions of their live-action counterparts who are doing performance capture.

It could be awesome! But the suits and creatives probably won't think outside the box and stick to 'Game of Thrones' but with Kirito.
russ869

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I mean... Steins Gate has always basically just been the movie Primer plus some lore from the real life John Titor hoax. So if you're looking for a live action Steins Gate I'd recommend you just watch Primer. Plus I always saw the dorky nerdiness and unlikable characters as a barrier of entry to Steins Gate. Primer doesn't have the problem, since it's characters are professional engineers who happen to work on their own inventions on the side.

Shane Carruth's other movie Upstream Color is pretty good too. Although it has nothing to do with time travel...
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
One Piece - Same company that’s doing the now delayed Cowboy Bebop. They hired a writing team and have promised a MASSIVE budget, but that’s it. There was a fake rumor Letitia Wright was supposed to play Nami (which seemed designed to turn people against the show because no one wanted her playing Nami) but it’s been debunked.

That was probably a joke casting poking fun at people noticing the trend of redheaded cartoon and comic characters often being racebent into black during adaptions. I guess that would apply to Kurisu here.

jdnation wrote:
Well the concept itself could, but they will 100% ditch all the otaku stuff and make it about Westaboo Star Wars and Dr. Who instead... maybe some gaming... That Fortnite sure is popular! And POP! Vinyl Figures galore.

Which would pretty much just make it The Big Bang Theory, which I think Funimation actually used as the marketing blurb on the Blu-Ray release of their version if I remember correctly. Big Bang Theory meets Ready Player One, perhaps. Razz
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The basic premise of Steins Gate could work as a Hollywood movie if it's done right. And if they can get Ryan Reynolds to work on it.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
That was probably a joke casting poking fun at people noticing the trend of redheaded cartoon and comic characters often being racebent into black during adaptions. I guess that would apply to Kurisu here.

That honestly did cross my mind.

I know with SAO they were planning to at least keep Kirito and Asuna ethnically accurate, but I have no idea if that would be true for Okabe and Kurisu.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:17 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

jdnation wrote:

Which would pretty much just make it The Big Bang Theory, which I think Funimation actually used as the marketing blurb on the Blu-Ray release of their version if I remember correctly. Big Bang Theory meets Ready Player One, perhaps. Razz

I actually have the Blu-ray right next to me, let's see...

"It's like somebody taped an episode of The Big Band Theory over a copy of Donnie Darko."

It's actually a quote from Anime Vice but still.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:

That honestly did cross my mind.

I know with SAO they were planning to at least keep Kirito and Asuna ethnically accurate, but I have no idea if that would be true for Okabe and Kurisu.

I guess this is one thing they could have a bit of leeway with here. All that is really stated is that she is Nakabachi/Makise's daughter, who is Japanese, while nothing is really explained about her mother. While I understand students and scientists can go overseas, I kinda assumed her mother was American given her complexions and she was studying there. I could be wrong (if so, please someone correct me)

writerpatrick wrote:
The basic premise of Steins Gate could work as a Hollywood movie if it's done right. And if they can get Ryan Reynolds to work on it.

While I would prefer Okabe to be Japanese, I never considered this and he would be so awesome for the part
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't honestly see a good angle you can take Steins;Gate without really 'western-izing' it three ways to Sunday. It would probably have to end one way; the 'true' ending, simply because I'm guessing whatever westernized versions of Okabe and Kurisu are developed will lead into some sort of love story between the two and Hollywood wouldn't want it to end on a tragedy. And that's all not even getting into how they would handle the importance of Akihabara. I don't see any real western equivalence other than making the Okabe character some sort of collector of old trinkets or something in that vein.

Weirdly enough I'm seeing allusions in a Steins;Gate live action to that two decade old movie The Time Machine (I've not read the HG Wells book it's based on). However rather than there being special effects Steins;Gate would almost play more like a sci-fi drama, needing little special effects other than time travel elements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3