• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Creator Kubo Tite's New Work to Be Unveiled at AnimeJapan 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
I hope he has adequately reflected on the disaster that was Bleach’s final years. Because he stubbornly refused to wrap up on a high note, like Naruto did and One Piece will, he became drag on the success of the magazine. He needs too check his ego and maybe get some help with story composition.

You're wrong. He didn't refuse to wrap up on a high note; he wanted more time to finish the last arc in a climactic way (whatever that meant for Kubo), but WSJ editors told that he had to wrap it up in only 5 chapters, and the rest is history. Even if Bleach had its storytelling problems throughout its run, that horrible ending wasn't entirely Kubo's fault.

And Kubo was sick while doing this as what was confirmed.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
My expectation is this will end up as some kind of OVA or TV special to honor Bleach's anniversary. I just don't see them putting together a full tv anime for the final arc when it's been so long since the manga ended. Plus nobody needs to relive how God awful the back half of the arc was.

As for Kubo's new work, I hope whatever it is involves a creative partner to flesh out story ideas. Much as I like his artwork, Bleach's long term story and character writing were a mess by the time even the Aizen stuff finished.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
The other day I was thinking that now that the Black Clover anime is dangerously close to catching up with the manga (I calculate that by March it will reach the last chapter before spoiler[the 6-month timeskip]), it would be a good idea for TV Tokyo and Studio Pierrot to replace it with a new Bleach series for a year instead of having the staff produce a long string of filler episodes. That way, Black Clover could come back next year and pick up right from where it left off, having accumulated enough manga chapters for two or three cours.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I hope he has adequately reflected on the disaster that was Bleach’s final years. Because he stubbornly refused to wrap up on a high note, like Naruto did and One Piece will, he became drag on the success of the magazine. He needs too check his ego and maybe get some help with story composition.

You're wrong. He didn't refuse to wrap up on a high note; he wanted more time to finish the last arc in a climactic way (whatever that meant for Kubo), but WSJ editors told that he had to wrap it up in only 5 chapters, and the rest is history. Even if Bleach had its storytelling problems throughout its run, that horrible ending wasn't entirely Kubo's fault.

It was one of the thing I heard that he was under editorial pressure during that final arc and would butt heads with them. Not saying he is absolved, because he was seen as rehashing the same theme for a third time, but being in that situation couldn't have helped either
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote

I wonder if on the odd chance they actually do finish the last arc if they wouldn't try to adapt his original ending instead of the his rushed ending. This is probably the only way I would be interested in a continuation.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
The other day I was thinking that now that the Black Clover anime is dangerously close to catching up with the manga (I calculate that by March it will reach the last chapter before spoiler[the 6-month timeskip]), it would be a good idea for TV Tokyo and Studio Pierrot to replace it with a new Bleach series for a year instead of having the staff produce a long string of filler episodes. That way, Black Clover could come back next year and pick up right from where it left off, having accumulated enough manga chapters for two or three cours.

I think you are definitely onto something there, I was thinking the same thing.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm personally rooting for Kubo on writing/art for a Saint Seiya spin-off. Bleach already had heavy Saint Seiya influence, let the guy dip his toes in the inspiration itself. He'd do some crazy stuff with the Gold Saints, no doubt.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

I kind of have my doubts about Black Clover going on any hiatus, the show has been getting really popular despite the initial hate when it came out, and if they really wanted to avoid filler arcs they would have went the My hero academia route and just do seasonal breaks all the time. but hey I hope I'm wrong
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote

We only have his word to go on, but what I mean is he had over 3.5 friggin’ years to finish Bleach in a climatic way. Let’s not be naive, he likely had multiple warnings. The manga sales declined heavily after the Arrancar arc and never really stopped declining. The fulbringer arc was not well received and Bleach fell even more, to the point that it was slipping in the reader polls. They gave the guy a chance and he squandered it. It was pretty obvious he thought he could coast on for as long as wanted to, at least that’s the impression I got in the last arc. He should have finished it after Aizen in Arrancar. That is really all I am going to say. Kubo can try to justify it any way he wants, but the results speak for themselves.

Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
It was one of the thing I heard that he was under editorial pressure during that final arc and would butt heads with them. Not saying he is absolved, because he was seen as rehashing the same theme for a third time, but being in that situation couldn't have helped either

Perhaps so, but can you really blame them? They are trying to run a business and likely had new series in the pipeline. Kubo didn’t save their booty like Togashi and Toriyama, yet I recall some statements where he supposedly said he would take 10 years to realize the final arc. Editors were likely trying to edit things to tighten the story and keep it moving along and Kubo likely was having none of that.

Last edited by dragon695 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Assuming Bleach does get an anime continuation, how many times has a manga author been allowed to rewrite their manga ending in an adaptation that wasn’t planned to have an anime original ending from the start?
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
danpmss wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:

I kind of have my doubts about Black Clover going on any hiatus, the show has been getting really popular despite the initial hate when it came out, and if they really wanted to avoid filler arcs they would have went the My hero academia route and just do seasonal breaks all the time. but hey I hope I'm wrong

More to the point, why would they pay to produce 48 episodes for a series that already concluded when the purpose of the Black Clover anime is to get people into a series that is currently running in WSJ. Even filler gets new people interested folks. It makes no sense. At best, an OVA or OVAs are all you can hope for. Inuyasha was the exception, not the rule.

Last edited by dragon695 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Second live-action or Hollywood movie.
Pretty sure it's NOT the final season everyone wants. Just like we never got final season of Katekyo Hitman Reborn.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:41 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

And Kubo was sick while doing this as what was confirmed.

So sick that Sega delayed working on the new Sakura Wars game until he was ready which shows how much they believed in him.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

He should have seen it coming. Bleach was nearly always in the lower part of the weekly polls. It also dropped from 800k copies a volume to 400k copies a volume, while always declining. There was no period of stabilisation of the sales. You can argue that still a lot, and I would agree... if it wasn't for the fact bleach used to sold far more, and the reception was worse with every volume, and the sales steadily declining. Anyone should have seen where it was going. But Kubo knowingly gave us fight about characters most readers didn't care about (second vice captains of whatever division, and things like that...), to the point Ichigo and the main cast were doing figuration at this point, and he even chose to troll his readers about Kenpachi's bankai, one of the few things in that serie that people still cared about, and wanted to see (and that was teased since the Soul Society arc). I call it stalling, or being disconnected from the reality that popularity and sales do matter in a Jump serie. But he chose to not listen the lectors critics, believing Shueisha would let him continue indefinitely despite the slowly sinking in both sales and popularity. He had it coming, and then played the surprised guy when Jump finally decided to take action. Yes it was entirely his fault. He is responsible for creating the situation that forced Jump to axe him. At least a new series had a chance to get better result, while Bleach proved it could only do worse for years. So juste taking the end of the whole story and ignoring the whole situation is kinda hypocrite and misleading.
SAG4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:55 am Reply with quote
I believe it will be the return of the anime with 24~26 episodes at most, enough to adapt the final saga and honor the legacy of Bleach. There are chances to be a second live action. And as someone mentioned, it can be a live action by Hollywood too.

Mewzard wrote:
I'm personally rooting for Kubo on writing/art for a Saint Seiya spin-off. Bleach already had heavy Saint Seiya influence, let the guy dip his toes in the inspiration itself. He'd do some crazy stuff with the Gold Saints, no doubt.
I hadn't thought about that, it would be interesting, but the Jump editor will be there and Saint Seiya is from another publisher today. Unless there is some collaboration from Kurumada with Jump for Kubo to launch a spin off in another Jump magazine, such as Jump Square. But the chances are almost zero in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3