• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kagawa Prefecture Wants Opinions on Potential Restrictions of Children's Video Game Playin

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:40 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
While people can become addicted to video games which can cause major problems it is generally a secondary issue that is caused by something else.
It has been recognized clinically (to my dismay) and is approached the same way as with other forms of addiction. Cases are only rampant in certain areas (China, SKorea) but cases that resulted in death have been documented. Furthermore, addiction almost always has an underlying issue, not just generally video game addiction per se.

Mai5 wrote:
You can get addicted to anything, especially when depressed. Also to be completely honest it’s at least less harmful than other options (drugs, sex, gambling, etc...that will waste your time and probably destroy your health/savings/reputation).

Video game addiction, like all other addictions, will waste your time and destroy your health/savings/reputation. That is why it is called an addiction. If it doesn't, it probably isn't an addiction warranting an actual diagnosis. If it instead helped you recover from other issues and helped you reintegrate, then definitely it isn't an addiction. But then, if it in turn became the problem...

Also, anyone here who is depressed, or has any other mental health issues, I urge you to seek professional help. If you can't, or won't, then please at least talk to someone you consider a support figure in your life.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
I approve of this, video games are terrible for kids. Spoken from someone that lived with crippling depression throughout his nearly 30 years of life and drowned in video games. Video game addiction is already dangerous as it is for adults, can't imagine kids and their unavoidable lack of discipline and emotional instability dealing with it.

Video game consumption doesn't need government regulation though. Problems of videogame addiction can be easily circumvented by a parent ensuring that it doesn't happen. Limiting videogames to 1 hour a week doesn't sound like a good idea either. When videogames feel like a reward than a pastime, you run the risk of putting it on a pedestal and elevating a child's interest in gaming. It's similar to barring a child from something because it's taboo; it'll just peak the child's interest even further.

Teaching a child when to take a break from gaming is much better than setting a hard-limit on their time of play.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2