• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream One Piece Live-Action Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm gonna end up watching this sink or swim.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Has to be one of the worse choices for a live-action adaptation. Besides it being comically expensive to adapt,that visual style just won't translate well in live-action.

Get ready for some high priced QUALITY 3D CG, if that GitS preview is to be believed. Laughing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Themaster20000 wrote:
Has to be one of the worse choices for a live-action adaptation. Besides it being comically expensive to adapt,that visual style just won't translate well in live-action.

Get ready for some high priced QUALITY 3D CG, if that GitS preview is to be believed. Laughing

Actually this is supposed to get a budget of $9-$12 million an episode, Game of Thrones tier.

Which again, why One Piece? Certain stories do not translate well to live action, and if you really think the Straw Hats will be the next GOT, sorry, but no. The tone switches between serious and relentlessly silly on a dime and is quite proud of it.
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
I can't even imagine how cheesy the effects will be
SpiritBomb1991

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote
whos gonna actually watch this, all live actions apart from gto 1999 have failed for the most part compared to anime counterpart
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 am Reply with quote
How about Netflix tries this after all their other currently planned live-action anime titles have finally been streamed?
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:06 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Actually this is supposed to get a budget of $9-$12 million an episode, Game of Thrones tier. .

How much of that went to the actors, I wonder.. Razz

I could see them maybe adapting the early fights and locales with that kinda budget. Luffy VS Krieg maybe being the most intense fight possible that could still be convincing. Arlong will cost a lot if they want the fishmen to look Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean tier and not like rubber suits you see in tokusatsu. But any kind of heavy Paramecia/Logia fight is going to be impossible. I'd say until around Little Garden. That''ll be when the series starts becoming too complex for live-action. Mr. 3 would be the first challenge if they want to capture all the crazy and unique things Devil Fruit users can do with their powers and not just have him shoot wax balls or webs like Spider-Man.

And yeah, then there's the always elephant in the room of casting, writing, humor, and tone. If they try to play is super serious it'll fail.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Which again, why One Piece? Certain stories do not translate well to live action, and if you really think the Straw Hats will be the next GOT, sorry, but no. The tone switches between serious and relentlessly silly on a dime and is quite proud of it.
Rather than GOT, I think they'll probably aim for a tone similar to Pirates of the Caribbean.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:04 am Reply with quote
This is where the fun begins.gif
I hope that this will be as wild and awkward as it can be. There is no way that Netflix of all people can make this work with live-action (anything with water costs big money and is a bitch to film) but the potential to be so bad it´s good is also there.

Set a course for meme.gif the tv show. And just announce that you want to also desecrate Berserk. It´s only a question of time with the licenses they get to have it get made. And also Dragon Ball. A wonder that it didn´t precede One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NightRunner7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:54 am Reply with quote
Naruto hollywood live action movie director said he wants to work with Kishimoto or else the project will stay in development I hope Oda's involvement with One Piece live action series is not gonna be just a paper thing so they can actually give us something good.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:08 am Reply with quote
NightRunner7 wrote:
Naruto hollywood live action movie director said he wants to work with Kishimoto or else the project will stay in development I hope Oda's involvement with One Piece live action series is not gonna be just a paper thing so they can actually give us something good.

Good luck with that! Someone’s Samurai 8 project is in trouble, so I don’t see that happening anytime soon...
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:58 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:

I don't know why they don't pick easier anime to adapt. While not as popular as One Piece shows like Black Lagoon or Goblin Slayer would be so much easier for them to make and give them a better chance at making something most people won't hate.
SenseRabit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:47 am Reply with quote
Could be good or bad and what did you think of Bleach live action movie from Netflix? Since I have never seen it.
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:37 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Really can't see how this will work. Oda's involvement sounds like it's mostly just to get his name on paper kinda thing. Like all those bad movies Spielberg was "executive producer" for. Should at least give some laughs with the CG for the powers lol.

"Lest you think I have "sold out" as an artist, let me stress that I have retained total creative control over the show, in the sense that, when they send me a check, I can legally spend it however I want."
-Dave Barry
Q4000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

That's also what they said about ASOIAF. Look how that turned out.

Personally, I don't think 'mainstream' audiences will like it unless Luffy somehow ends up behaving like a certain drunk pirate. As for the 'fan' audience, we will probably have high expectations as usual and end up criticizing it for how they localized/adapted/changed everything for the mainstream (read: Western) audience - which is the actual target audience. But we'll see how this turns out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4