• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream One Piece Live-Action Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
I don't see how they pull this off well unless it's also going to be the most expensive TV ever created, which is highly unlikely.The # of effects shots makes something like Pirates of the Caribbean small and grounded by comparison.

Imo, adapting anime to live action TV should stick to stuff like Nana or Steins;Gate where nobody has budget busting CGI powers and all the sets are something you could build or find anywhere on Earth for cheap.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Q4000 wrote:
That's also what they said about ASOIAF. Look how that turned out.

I mean, the show was quite popular obviously, but it's not exactly the best representation and adaption of the books. Same with other pop-culture icons like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, and DC and Marvel superhero shows and movies.

Westerners are more forgiving about book and comic adaptions because they know the likelyhood of a full, accurate, let alone animated adaption is very low. Japan's really the only place that can look at a 1000+ chapter weekly manga like One Piece and make a show that follows it. One Piece fans, and most anime fans in general, will have been spoiled by the anime which is why they're so cynical about live-action adaptions. Hollywood adaptions are interesting when you know there's no possibility of any other kind of adaption of your favorite book or comic will ever happen, but when you have an industry like the anime industry where adaptions of light novels, manga, and games get made every month, it's a bit of a 'why bother?' scenario for Hollywood adaptions since they're really only for the westerners who refuse to watch animation or read subtitles.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
... But why? This seems like the worst anime you could literally pick to turn into a live action. Also, are they going to make them accurate to the anime design because... I don't think anyone should want to see that in Live Action.

Like... ever?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
#Satou wrote:
The only chance for this to come good is don't adapt nothing that is already in the anime or manga, they should adapt something new, a sidestory from a different point of view like a Low rank Marine in the Gol D. roger Era or something like that but without main protagonist that we know(just show those like Roger and shirohige in the papers and teach the audience about this world little by little from that point of view),

I don't know what would be the point in doing that when both the anime and manga could potentially do that and when this adaptation will of course likely be changing a number of things from the source material.

SpiritBomb1991 wrote:
whos gonna actually watch this, all live actions apart from gto 1999 have failed for the most part compared to anime counterpart

Oh?

Is that why Japan keeps doing live action adaptations and stage plays of works?

Sometimes multiple of the same work like Death Note?

matt78 wrote:

I don't know why they don't pick easier anime to adapt. While not as popular as One Piece shows like Black Lagoon or Goblin Slayer would be so much easier for them to make and give them a better chance at making something most people won't hate.

If Goblin Slayer has the sexual violence synonymous with certain parts of the series people with hate it, if it doesn't people will hate it.

SenseRabit wrote:
Could be good or bad and what did you think of Bleach live action movie from Netflix? Since I have never seen it.

You mean from Warner Bros. Netflix's only involvement was streaming it for home video
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:20 pm Reply with quote
*sighs deeply*
*swigs entire decanter of spirits*
*puts revolver to head*
*cocks trigger*
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised Oda seems as gung-ho about this as he is.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
An example of an anime that should get a live-action movie or TV treatment: "91 Days" is set in a fictional Illinois town during the late 1920s. We have plenty of Italians in this country that could be cast.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:03 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm honestly surprised Oda seems as gung-ho about this as he is.

I think a lot of mangaka get starry eyed at the prospect of a Hollywood adaption of their work. They see it as a status symbol or goal to achieve, even if they always end up disliking the results. Toriyama was excited and on board with Dragonball Evolution too. Maybe in their mind they do actually think one can work if it's "done right" whatever that means. Or maybe they just like the Hollywood check they get.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If Goblin Slayer has the sexual violence synonymous with certain parts of the series people with hate it, if it doesn't people will hate it.

You're right. It would into a darned if you do darned if you don't scenario.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Johnny Depp is Luffy.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
#Satou wrote:
The only chance for this to come good is don't adapt nothing that is already in the anime or manga, they should adapt something new, a sidestory from a different point of view like a Low rank Marine in the Gol D. roger Era or something like that but without main protagonist that we know(just show those like Roger and shirohige in the papers and teach the audience about this world little by little from that point of view), but Oda obsession for hit hard in western audience will be the thing that make this suck., not at death note level but something moderate bad.

That's a really bad idea for an adaptation of this precise story if I ever heard/read one. To show all of that side material, they might as well do flashbacks between the main storyline's episodes, the very same thing the anime does (or any show, beit animated or live-action), and pretty well at that. I mean, if it ain't broke...
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
SpiritBomb1991 wrote:
whos gonna actually watch this, all live actions apart from gto 1999 have failed for the most part compared to anime counterpart

Apparently you haven't watched the Rurouni Kenshin movies.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
An example of an anime that should get a live-action movie or TV treatment: "91 Days" is set in a fictional Illinois town during the late 1920s. We have plenty of Italians in this country that could be cast.
I always keep suggesting Hollywood should remake Hellsing Ultimate. It’s a pretty simple plot, it takes place in England, and vampires are always popular.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
If anything, it should be Amazon the one that adapts this manga, since you can see that they care about quality, and even are very opne in greenlighting projects with big budgets. Hell, they paid half a billion dollars for Lord Of The Rings, and they were willing to do the same for The Dark Tower adapation if it wasn't for a mediocre pilot.

I don't trust Netflix's corner-cutting tendency and their formulaic stance in their Originals in adapting One Piece, since most of their offerings in programming are pretty mediocre (like 3 out of 10 shows they produce are genuinely good), SPECIALLY when they cancelled a show like Sense8 because it was too expensive; indeed a REALLY big budget is what an adaptation like OP really need for it to make a show with a sliver of quality on Netflix.

I'll watch the show when(if) it comes out, but mostly to bitch about how wrong is gonna be, because it's freaking Netflix.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
Looking at how huge and vast One Piece is as an IP, does Netflix have what it takes to do the franchise justice or will they just cut corners and do it in a very cheap way? Who knows where that will go unless if Oda is willing to help steer the ship in wanting the live action version to go its own direction away from the manga.

Why deviate from the manga? Lets face it, do the live action actors playing the Straw Hats be willing to stick around for 20+ years where the main series goal of finding One Piece keeps going farther and farther away to the point of being tired of the series not going anywhere and just want the series to be done and over with already unlike the anime version? One Piece is not a weekly police procedural show after all because it is heavily serialized.

Plus, I don't expect this to last more than three seasons at most due to how Netflix is unfortunately known of always cancelling their live action shows right around the second or third season most of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4