• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream One Piece Live-Action Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If Goblin Slayer has the sexual violence synonymous with certain parts of the series people with hate it, if it doesn't people will hate it.
I don’t think it would matter much either way. People would still watch it. People still watch shows that they know are going to be problematic for them, or even hate.
Even though I hated the adaptation of Arifureta, I still watched the entire series.
- -
As for a live action One Piece; if they can do Mr Fantastic from the Fantastic Four, they can do Luffy. But it is a show where they are going to have to spend a lot of money on, otherwise it won’t be One Piece.
Another problem is the style and tone of the anime. They will have to work hard to maintain those things to some degree in the live action show, or it will feel fake to the fans.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:

Why deviate from the manga? Lets face it, do the live action actors playing the Straw Hats be willing to stick around for 20+ years where the main series goal of finding One Piece keeps going farther and farther away to the point of being tired of the series not going anywhere and just want the series to be done and over with already unlike the anime version? One Piece is not a weekly police procedural show after all because it is heavily serialized.

A lot of the series can be condensed and cut down so it wouldn't go 2- years like the manga or anime. Like the flashbacks? Those can be pared down to a few minutes if outright not removed altogether.

Lycosyncer wrote:

Plus, I don't expect this to last more than three seasons at most due to how Netflix is unfortunately known of always cancelling their live action shows right around the second or third season most of the time.

Welcome to America not they're we're the only ones guilty of this but still.

TarsTarkas wrote:

As for a live action One Piece; if they can do Mr Fantastic from the Fantastic Four, they can do Luffy.

Think you meant try the live action Fantastic Four movies stretching effects for Mr.Fantastic was......not particularly good. Don't know what they did with Josh Trank's version though.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anyone else pushing for Depp as Roger?

Unless it's a prequel dedicated wholly to Roger's early life that seems like a huge waste of money to spring for a A list actor for what would only be maybe a minute or two of montage footage establishing the premise of the show... like casting Patrick Stewart in Oblivion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4