• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Pop Team Epic Anime With Half Episodes in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:04 am Reply with quote
The good news is you can watch Pop Team Epic on literally every other streaming site.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:
Yeah I mean, given how Netflix US approaches anime content... I'm not surprised they fumbled this so horrendously.

Have they done something positive? I'm asking so I can know if you're just being generalizing or not.

Sorry, I'm a little late on this. But, I wanted to add that the frustrations I see with Netflix are:

They've sniped licenses away from other companies, namely Teasing Takagi and Mr. K from Funimation and just get an entirely new dub cast.

Even if you don't care for dubs, they just sit on these exclusive licenses and wait for the dub to finish a dub MONTHS after the show aired. Sure, this was fine in the age of physical media, but now in the age of Simulcasts and even SimulDUBS, it's so needlessly archaic.

I thin the one thing they've done good on is with Saint Seiya and how they took the cast of the new show and went and dubbed the original show and made it available. If Netflix ends up licensing Adventure of Dai, I hope they do the same thing there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:

Even if you don't care for dubs, they just sit on these exclusive licenses and wait for the dub to finish a dub MONTHS after the show aired. Sure, this was fine in the age of physical media, but now in the age of Simulcasts and even SimulDUBS, it's so needlessly archaic.

But not really a deal breaker for all anime fans?
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
El Hermano wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Though I am wondering why they're doing this to Pop Team Epic, and I don't even like the show.

I mean, the second half of the episode is the exact same as the first half, only with male voice actors. I can see why they would do this, since people might find it weird and a waste of time if they just want to watch the next one and not the same segments again with different voice actors.

There were other minor differences between the halves besides just the voice actors. Some situations here and there played out somewhat differently which made them Easter eggs of sorts if they weren't obviously noticeable.

There were also jokes that played on the earlier version's jokes if you watched both, like one I remember being there was a JuOn-type ghost hidden in the corner of a room that the camera slowly revealed in one version; in the second version that ghost wasn't there where you expected it, but then the camera moved slightly again or something and Popuko/Pipimi were in the opposite corner.

It's generally a TREMENDOUS waste of time to watch both just to feel like you didn't miss anything, but I found the humor/surprises were enough and the episodes were so short that I'd watch half an episode, leave the stream/recording at a marker, and come back to an episode weeks later on to watch the variant. That, or scan through for some of my favorite gags real quick and see they differed.

I appreciate that they went this crazy with the eps (just doing one special double-seiyu episode would have been a strong-enough gag) and there's some value in repeat viewing since at least always the performances have inherently different tones and inflections, even if the content is 90-100% the same. Is it vital you see both? No, but it is weird and frustrating that Netflix watchers don't have a choice.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:

But not really a deal breaker for all anime fans?

Thinking of this being a deal-breaker is approaching the issue from the wrong side. Generated social media buzz for binge-structured shows (even/especially popular ones) seems to wane exceptionally after two weeks after dropping the whole shebang. People watch the whole thing, react, then go on about their life.

Compare that to popular series that release weekly, the online buzz tends to stay/increase weekly until the show ends.

Lets say they did simulcast some series that were definitely posed to be highly popular here in the states... Beastars/Carole and Tuesday definitely, Little Witch Academia/Violet Evergarden maybe... every week there'd be social media buzz, accumulating till the finale. There's a good chance some of these would be exponentially more popular than they ended up being.

Add that to the fact that piracy is so incredibly easy and available for a lot of anime fans that are concerned about the seasonals, and you've siphoned off a lot of the selling potential of these series before you've even released it.

Frustrating for fans that do want to support it, absolutely.
But the bad business sense heavily outweighs that.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think the best way to deal with this situation is to simply not watch the Netflix US streams of the episodes at all and/or contact Netflix, politely letting them know that you would like to see the episodes in their original 23-minute format instead of the shortened 11-minute format.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The good news is you can watch Pop Team Epic on literally every other streaming site.

Exactly. Smile
yeehaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll, funimation and all other anime streaming services worked generally the same and customers were happy! We got anime the same day as the japanese!
And then Netflix came and decided that people who watch anime are doing it wrong and our complaints don't matter because people who liked game of thrones prefer binging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2