• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Character Gets Name Change Following Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feitan000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
MHA stans are pathetic af.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
No one should disregard the cost of their own history. Japanese people shocked at their own government's past war crimes are as purblind as Americans acting shocked when confronted with the Indian genocide or black slavery. Getting angry at a cartoon is a kneejerk reaction.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Has it ever been confirmed that the doctor who said Izuku was quirkless is the same dude? Cause if it hasn't they shouldn't be using this picture. I'm not sure since I don't read the manga..

Nope, I guessing they twins since they look like the same person.

Yeah and they also have different names, which would be an odd thing to do if you're trying to keep a clean public image.
While they could be the same character, since it was just a single shot in chapter 1, it could just be a mistake Horikoshi made using a very similar character design some time later.
kogamisdad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Yeah and they also have different names, which would be an odd thing to do if you're trying to keep a clean public image.
While they could be the same character, since it was just a single shot in chapter 1, it could just be a mistake Horikoshi made using a very similar character design some time later.

Both characters in the anime have the exact same voice actor in both Japanese and English. That would be a hell of a coincidence for them to both look the same and sound the same and not be the same character.
OmegaE50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't think hori sensei meant any ill intentions by choosing that name for this character because let's face it japan does not teach the younger generation about the many atrocities japanese soldiers did in ww2 I guarantee you if you ask any japanese citizen in there 30s 20 or teens if the know anything about unit 731 or comfort women there not going to know jack shit

because they like to keep all there dirty little Deeds out of sight and out of mind and to put this in more perspective why korean and chinese fans are so upset imagine if the doctor was a women and here name was anne frank

Last edited by OmegaE50 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Horikoshi's apology is probably sincere, but only serves to throw an unflattering spotlight on Japan's gov't-orchestrated educational system still refusing to do more than casually outline historical events that fail completely to flatter pre-WW II Japan. Obviously Horikoshi knew this real person was a bad guy, but was never exposed to the true horrors he was responsible for.

I've rubbed elbows with many Japanese colleagues who are blissfully unaware of much of what happened during WW II---bad AND good. They were simply never taught any of it. Much in the same way my 70s and 80s h.s. history books in the US gave only a brief chapter on the Vietnam war.
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
No one should disregard the cost of their own history. Japanese people shocked at their own government's past war crimes are as purblind as Americans acting shocked when confronted with the Indian genocide or black slavery. Getting angry at a cartoon is a kneejerk reaction.

This wasn't confronting history though, it would have been if the Noumu were named Maruta instead. Him using the term for the victims for the name of a doctor performing human experimentation is what's drawing the outrage. There probably wouldn't have been as much of a reaction if he used any of the names of those who performed the experiments for the doctor's name
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:59 pm Reply with quote
This is stupid. Outrage culture is a bloody cancer.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
TichoSlicer wrote:
Censorship Always wins... What a sh** world that we live in... WTF man, its just a WORD! The next step now will be force Hollywood to not use the world 'Nazi' too... ¬¬

A creator or publisher choosing to change something based on reader feedback isn't censorship.

I have no strong sentiments regarding the name change, but let's be honest here, it stopped being a choice when people started sending him death threats.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Either the author did it to point out the atrocities or the mentions came to vaguely point it out. Maybe he knew they were experimentation victim names but not the full extent. I can forgive in either case.

Though I dislike the entire naming system in this franchise. Reminds me a bit too much of the Western habit of sticking -man after every superhero name. Even had I liked this franchise more I think this is not a hill I'd care to die on.

As for twitter mobs, do they still occur once one gets off Twitter? I think once I closed my account the wasteland that is twitter stopped being my concern. Social Media can be as harmful as it can be productive.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Twitter Mob strikes again. Rolling Eyes
Heart of the Foreign God

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:40 am Reply with quote
Perish the thought, what if people suddenly learn about any other harmful words, right?
insinuating that anything bad that happened in the past should never be allowed again, that way the world can remain the safe bubble of peace and happiness that it has always been
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 am Reply with quote
My respect towards Horikoshi grew a lot after this. Other people would've probably ignored it. Takes a lot of guts to admit the mistake and work on it.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
As for twitter mobs, do they still occur once one gets off Twitter? I think once I closed my account the wasteland that is twitter stopped being my concern. Social Media can be as harmful as it can be productive.

No, of course not. The main problem is though is a lot of people have social media addiction so they treat Twitter as an actual part of their life, if not an actual substitute for one. If your entire life involves Twitter, then a Twitter mob will be very effective on you. If you don't have one or barely use it, it's completely powerless.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
If your entire life involves Twitter, then a Twitter mob will be very effective on you..

Unless you're the 45th President Of The United States.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9