• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Character Gets Name Change Following Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Maybe, but having your feelings hurt is definitely not a justifiable reason for censorship.

It's less about feelings and more that they still want the Chinese audience to give them money. That's usually why companies apologize and do what they can to appease China. They're hoping they'll be forgiven and the series will be made available for sale again there.

Yep. Media companies are like that picture below when it comes to China.

feitan000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Too late, they want him dead now lol
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
feitan000 wrote:
Too late, they want him dead now lol

Eh they'll stop caring by the end of the month.

By that point the shock value will have worn out and they'll move on to the next thing to treat like a big deal.

These things eventually run their course.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:59 am Reply with quote
It's a fitting name for an evil scientist who did human experiments to create the Nomu.
It was a mistake to apologize. As always it doesn't change anything you only hurt your integrity. They will soon lose interest in this farce anyway.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
It's a fitting name for an evil scientist who did human experiments to create the Nomu.
It was a mistake to apologize. As always it doesn't change anything you only hurt your integrity. They will soon lose interest in this farce anyway.

He was never meant to be a reference. And apologizing at least shows that regardless of what the name's intent was supposed to be, Horikoshi listened to those who were offended and removed the offending name with hopefully something that doesn't accidentally reference a war crime.

Also, not sure the whole "it's fitting because he's evil" thing works as an excuse anyway since you'd be taking something that historically involved the Japanese army doing horrific war crimes, and then turning it into a guy who has no actual connection to those running Japan and is actually an enemy of the government. It's not done in a way to suggest this is payback against the Japanese government and they have to pay for their crimes nor does it have anything really to do with the people who were affected by unit 731. Yes, it uses the word "maruta" and has to do with human experimentation, but it erases the context that usage came from and has nothing to actually say about it besides the obvious "human experimentation is bad", and actually obscures the part where Japan itself was the villain that committed the atrocities on civilians of others countries. You wouldn't get any actual hint of the historical context from the text of the manga since that's not the kind of story My Hero Academia is about, you'd have to go to outside sources and bother to actually look up "Maruta". Involving real life historical events that negatively affected actual groups of people requires more sensitivity and thought behind the usage, and it just doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle in this case where the reference wasn't even intentional on Horikoshi's part, so he has no incentive to keep this controversy dangling over his story.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:30 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:
Maybe it's a coincidence but they'll NEVER apologies properly because doing so would require admitting that they committed crimes.
Nothing that may hurt "their glorious honor".

I think you're way off. They don't want to admit wrongdoing because people will ask for reparations. Fairly recently a country was asking for reparations from Germany for WWII, and hey, they probably were owed some... except they were paid reparations decades ago. Countries, just like people, will use shit like this as an endless ticket. Also, considering almost all of the fighting age WWII generation are dead, people probably don't want to be on the hook for actions they had nothing to do with.

I can't say pride has no impact on this, but it is basically all about the money.

I was wrong because they "apologized".
But again, referring just to a "tragic past". Not "something bad our country did", but the "past".
ThugsBunny3840

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
While weird for the author to name the dude after what had been done to the victims, this went way overboard. Definitely hope that this will let up and the series can eventually be legally available again in those countries.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
On the one hand, the original name seems to be in very poor taste. On the other hand, it draws attention to war crimes that are seldom acknowledged and frequently denied.

People say this. But... look at how the IJA gets portrayed in popular culture.

For example, IJA only really shows up in anime as an antagonist organisation: bad guys, basically. Sometimes you might have a few isolated hero/good-guy people or a small unit, but organisationally it's pretty consistently depicted as unambiguously evil and run by evil/crazy people. I mean, Golden Kamui. Or... is it the first episode of Mayonaka no Occolt Koumuin, where the army buried a wartime zombie factory under a park? I'm reading Zettai Karen Children, about v30; in that case we've got a small unit of nominally good guys who are doing terrible things because of terrible orders from terrible people, and the nominal good guy squad are the subject of whack medical experiments and all die except for their two youngest members one of whom becomes a violent extremist.

As near as I can figure based on mass-market media depictions, the japanese population regard the IJA as being run by a bunch of crazy violent racists who did crazy horrible medical experiments and killed people. The people -- at least the young and the middle-aged people -- know.

[most of the positive depictions of wwii-military are navy, not army: army wore kakhi and had red/gold rank badges, navy wore black or white and had black/gold rank badges. Relations between the two forces were unbelievably bad -- the army built their own aircraft carriers -- and this was actually in part due to the navy hierarchy thinking that the army was run by crazy violent racists.]
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Whether or not Horikoshi should have known better, I respect the way he and Shueisha responded here: they acknowledge the offense, accept ownership of it, apologize, and describe how they plan to avoid a repeat. It takes a lot of maturity and a cool head to step back and see the bigger picture when you're called out on stuff like this.
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:24 am Reply with quote
ThugsBunny3840 wrote:
While weird for the author to name the dude after what had been done to the victims, this went way overboard. Definitely hope that this will let up and the series can eventually be legally available again in those countries.

It was never the author's intent to name the character after some crimes against humanity. The character's name was some Japanese wordplay based around his appearance that got horribly misinterpreted.
Quote:
Maruta (kanji: round + fat) reflects the appearance of the character in question.

This is something many of the JP-ENG translators I follow pointed out was the likely choice behind said character's name.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:55 am Reply with quote
Is the name/term not notorious enough in Japan that nobody else in the production line noticed it and flag a signal?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
Unit 731 will hunt them forever but the Japanese government never did the proper outreach, unlike Germany, so this will continue to go on for decades. Sigh. We pay reparations to this day but no one of importance is complaining too much.

Interesting to see how severe the repercussions were. China still despises Japan and the reverse tensions equally exist, even in pop-culture. The new Death Note epilogue had a weird dig for example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Is the name/term not notorious enough in Japan that nobody else in the production line noticed it and flag a signal?

No, because unlike Germany, Japanese war crimes don't carry the same sort of collective historical guilt and remorse that the Holocaust has left. I wouldn't be surprised if Japanese textbooks make no mention of Japanese warcrimes in the East/Southeast Asian theaters during WWII.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
The Second World War was 75 years ago.

I believe most Americans would be hard pressed to even remember the leaders of the Allies and the Axis forces, much less the individuals under them.

So it is not far fetched to believe that the majority of young men and women in Japan would not even know the details of a torture unit, unless they studied World War 2 and/or watched documentaries of that time.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The Second World War was 75 years ago.

I believe most Americans would be hard pressed to even remember the leaders of the Allies and the Axis forces, much less the individuals under them.

So it is not far fetched to believe that the majority of young men and women in Japan would not even know the details of a torture unit, unless they studied World War 2 and/or watched documentaries of that time.

Yeah. Everyone in the US remembers Hitler, but Mussolini and Hirohito are less well known. Maybe they could name Franklin Roosevelt and Churchill, but that's pretty much the limit of layman's knowledge of the leaders of WWII.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9