• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Hero Academia Manga, Anime Removed from Chinese Digital Platforms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Enrique Suárez wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Looking at the controversy over this, it honestly kinda amazes me that Pokémon of all things actually got away with an item called the “Holo Caster” invented by a man who wanted to eliminate half of Europe to create a master race.

...So you're trying to say here the item of the XY games called Holo Caster which is based on Hologram and News Caster/Broadcast or more simple it's an "Hologram Caster", according to your twisted theory is based on the "Holocaust"? and the worst of all is that you're being apparently serious about it Laughing get help! Rolling Eyes

In the court of public opinion it doesn't matter what something is "based on". The kind of people who will cry foul about this kind of thing don't care about the fact that the name comes from "hologram caster". The mere fact that it sounds superficially like "holocaust" is enough to trigger them.

This MHA fiasco is a great example. The character in question is the main villian if I understand correctly. If we assume the name of this character was a deliberate reference to Unit 731 then there really is no problem here...naming an evil guy after an evil event makes sense. People would be right to be up in arms if the hero were named after a war criminal or war atrocity, or if the atrocities were presented in a postive light, but that's not even close to the real situation. Look at what's actually happening here: people are mad at the mere mention of an atrocity, nevermind the fact that deliberately giving an evil character that name is fundamentally accepting that the acts in question did indeed occur and were in fact evil.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:38 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
In the court of public opinion it doesn't matter what something is "based on". The kind of people who will cry foul about this kind of thing don't care about the fact that the name comes from "hologram caster". The mere fact that it sounds superficially like "holocaust" is enough to trigger them.

This MHA fiasco is a great example. The character in question is the main villian if I understand correctly. If we assume the name of this character was a deliberate reference to Unit 731 then there really is no problem here...naming an evil guy after an evil event makes sense. People would be right to be up in arms if the hero were named after a war criminal or war atrocity, or if the atrocities were presented in a postive light, but that's not even close to the real situation. Look at what's actually happening here: people are mad at the mere mention of an atrocity, nevermind the fact that deliberately giving an evil character that name is fundamentally accepting that the acts in question did indeed occur and were in fact evil.

Well said. Obviously people stopped paying attention and they're getting outraged over a villain having name that reminds atrocity. Absolute failure of comprehension and logical thinking.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:22 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Obviously people stopped paying attention and they're getting outraged over a villain having name that reminds atrocity. Absolute failure of comprehension and logical thinking.

Then why not name him after the people responsible for the atrocities rather than the term given to the victims? If he's trying to make the Nomu a metaphor for Japanese wartime atrocities, he's botched it.

I don't think they set out to offend, but whichever way you cut it, be it a deliberate choice or a coincidence (which given the context, I don't buy), Horikoshi and his editors are idiots.
DCR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 am Reply with quote
The character's fake name was Daruma.
Spelled backward, in kana, it's basically Maruta.

The character is a bit chubby.
Like a snowman (daruma)
Maruta is spelled with the ideograms for round and fat.

Maruta means a log, and by extension something useless.
Deku means a log and by extension, something useless.
Both are quirkless

People pointed that Shiga is the name of a bacteria.
But that bacteria was named from the japanese doctor who discovered it.
Shiga also reminds of Shigaraki.

So, "Maruta Shiga" have many significations that fit the character and the story.
The relation to war crimes is but one of those possible significations, yet some people are claiming without proof that it has to be that.
The writer claims that he didn't have such intent and is willing to change the name of the character. Considering the fact that the character naming has many other explanations and that japanese medias and schools almost never talk about Japan war crimes, it's not unlikely that he was unaware of the offensive meaning of "maruta".

To stick to the wood allegory, it's like he had picked "fag" as a name for a gay quirkless character who smokes all the time and works for a group called G.A.F..
Offensive? Sure. Intentional? Probably not. Worthy of internet outrage after the writer decided to change the name? Definitely not.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
Enrique Suárez wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Looking at the controversy over this, it honestly kinda amazes me that Pokémon of all things actually got away with an item called the “Holo Caster” invented by a man who wanted to eliminate half of Europe to create a master race.

...So you're trying to say here the item of the XY games called Holo Caster which is based on Hologram and News Caster/Broadcast or more simple it's an "Hologram Caster", according to your twisted theory is based on the "Holocaust"? and the worst of all is that you're being apparently serious about it Laughing get help! Rolling Eyes

Sure, it broadcasts holograms, so it’s a Holo Caster. If it was simply that, I wouldn’t look further into it. But given that the character who invented the device is ultimately revealed to be a genocidal maniac, I have to question if there was a deliberate deeper reference there.

I’m not offended or anything, just find it mildly amusing that they somehow got away with slipping something like that into one of the world’s most popular children’s franchises.

encrypted12345 wrote:
To be fair, you could argue that his claim is as ridiculous as the Chinese claim about the doctor's name.

Being a pedantic butthole here, but I’m a girl. Razz
DCR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:28 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Imagine if the villain character is named after Hitler or Stalin, it would've been a scandal and a backlash too.

There is already a Hitler without moustache who teaches at Shiketsu.
Let's hope he won't be named Mr Hitora or Higenashi Adorufu.
Razz
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
Sigh... there has been so much controversy with My Hero Academia in the past.

Maybe next time its best to do more research on your characters names eh Horikoshi?
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 am Reply with quote
Not surprised this happened. Tbh, I am strongly against the Chinese government with what they are doing to their people and Hong Kong BUT I have to agree with them being upset. Not taking the series away. Just being upset. A lot of people in and out of Japan forget what they have done. Many countries have done so too. I'm not forgetting them but if it is recent/not finished talking about then that's a different thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm upset with his Japan hasn't properly talked or taken action with what they have done. It would have been finished years ago if they did not do the actions they are currently doing now. I know my history (not a bluff but a strong hobby) so they have done wrongs like each country.

Part of me thinks the Horikoshi did know what he was doing. Not out of ignorance but trying to have the reader understand how awful this villain is. Make people look up what Japan did in world war 2. This is just me but I think he did it to bring awareness. Out of a good purpose to know and learn from the past. In the end, I could be wrong in all of what I say. It's a shame they took it out the series from the country. I understand why but doesn't mean I agree...
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:59 am Reply with quote
de-ka-fu-ta wrote:
To ANN staff. Could you rewrite the acticle so it explains the actual reasoning behind the doctor's name? You were corrected several times in the thread for the previous article by people who actually can speak Japanese and yet you repeated the same incorrect explanation in this article. As it is right now it paints wrong people in wrong light and us posting here to correct that does little because most users who post in this thread choose to do so without reading it first and an untold number of users choose not to open the thread at all.

It does, what are you asking exactly?;
Quote:
"Maruta" refers to the code-name for human experimentation undertaken by the Imperial Japanese Army's Unit 731 during the Second Sino-Japanese War of World War II. The Chinese victims of the experiments were called "maruta," the Japanese word for "logs" as a reference to the facilities cover story that it was a lumber mill. Victims, including children, the elderly, pregnant women, and the mentally handicapped, were purposefully infected with diseases, dissected, lobotomized, and amputated while still alive.

It doesn't seem to explain Shiga, however it is known Unit 731 engaged in biological warfare in experimenting poisoning wells and rivers with Shigella(bacteria), among other things...

Edit; And if you insist going with the explanation the name refers to the character itself, 'round and fat', it would have been logical he would have gone with '達磨' (round, fat) which is also a common name in Japan. He didn't, instead he went with '丸太' (log).
Too many coincidences...
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:

encrypted12345 wrote:
To be fair, you could argue that his claim is as ridiculous as the Chinese claim about the doctor's name.

Being a pedantic butthole here, but I’m a girl. Razz

To be fair, his can be a gender neutral pronoun when gender is unknown (only recently has this language use been challenged). Though, nothing wrong with mentioning one's gender when you want it to be recognized in a semi-anonymous forum.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

This MHA fiasco is a great example. The character in question is the main villian if I understand correctly. If we assume the name of this character was a deliberate reference to Unit 731 then there really is no problem here...naming an evil guy after an evil event makes sense.

You gravely misunderstood.

The author allegedly named the evil guy after the victims of Unit 731. Not Unit 731 itself, but the people who were experimented upon. Unless you're trying to say the victims themselves were evil or whatnot, then that's just beyond the scope of civil argument for me.
DCR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Edit; And if you insist going with the explanation the name refers to the character itself, 'round and fat', it would have been logical he would have gone with '達磨' (round, fat) which is also a common name in Japan. He didn't, instead he went with '丸太' (log).
Too many coincidences...

He already used daruma 達磨 as the fake name. And in japanese letters, daruma ダルマ is almost like maruta マルタ spelled backward.
Also "daruma" doesn't have the wood analogy, so if Horikoshi was going there, it wouldn't have worked.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
God China is pathetic. Blowing such a non-issue this far out of proportions. Of course not that this is any different from their usual MO.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 am Reply with quote
CrimsonDX wrote:
God China is pathetic. Blowing such a non-issue this far out of proportions. Of course not that this is any different from their usual MO.

I kinda gotta give them props on at least being consistent. If a yellow bear can get banned then everything is up for grabs.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:

This MHA fiasco is a great example. The character in question is the main villian if I understand correctly. If we assume the name of this character was a deliberate reference to Unit 731 then there really is no problem here...naming an evil guy after an evil event makes sense.

You gravely misunderstood.

The author allegedly named the evil guy after the victims of Unit 731. Not Unit 731 itself, but the people who were experimented upon. Unless you're trying to say the victims themselves were evil or whatnot, then that's just beyond the scope of civil argument for me.

I did not misunderstand anything. I'm well aware that the word maruta refers to the victims rather than the Unit itself or one of the people responsible for the atrocities committed there, but I'm not sure how that distinction matters. It's beyond absurd to think that anyone is calling the victims evil; I can't fathom how anyone might think that was even a remote possibility on the author's part. If the name was indeed an intentional reference to Unit 731 it's just a general one for the unit itself. Perhaps the author wanted to reference the unit and maruta was the only word he could think of which both did that and maintained consistency with his naming conventions of using the tree character for quirkless characters, etc.

To use a different example, is there really a distinction between naming a fictional evil character who performs human experiments Zyklon Untermensch as opposed to Zyklon Mengele?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6