• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime Video Removes Interspecies Reviewers Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

For crying out loud, this was not an anime original story, this was all along a manga (now in volume 3, at this rate the anime will only cover the first two) adaption that did not deviated from the source material. What Funimation did was the equivalent of a vegan going to a burger king and then crying foul because their is meat in their meal. -_-;
From everything I've heard about this show, the anime did add in more graphic content than the manga. Is it typical for anime companies to read the manga source material of every title they license?

I have read the first two volumes of the manga in their entirety and I've seen the first two eps of the anime. From what I have seen so far the anime is indeed much more risque than the manga is. The manga deals with the same subject matter, of course, but there's no detail shown other than boobs, and they're drawn more "cartoony" than they are realistic or detailed. It's much more of a comedy than it is anything else. From a visual perspective Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs is more risque than the Reviewers manga. The anime is a heck of a lot closer to hentai.
dcresistance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:03 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

For crying out loud, this was not an anime original story, this was all along a manga (now in volume 3, at this rate the anime will only cover the first two) adaption that did not deviated from the source material. What Funimation did was the equivalent of a vegan going to a burger king and then crying foul because their is meat in their meal. -_-;
From everything I've heard about this show, the anime did add in more graphic content than the manga. Is it typical for anime companies to read the manga source material of every title they license?

... and Funimation censored (with a black screens and dub cuts) said extra graphic content, so people can't cry foul by what they did not get a chance to see.

I have no idea if anime streaming companies do their homework and research the yet to be finished series they buy every season to see if said material adheres to their very unique "standards", but if they do not they have no one to blame but themselves.

Funimation didn't censor it. The censored versions are provided to them by the studio, since Ishuzoku also airs on stations other than AT-X.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:19 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I have read the first two volumes of the manga in their entirety and I've seen the first two eps of the anime.... The anime is a heck of a lot closer to hentai.

It seems to me you (like most other people out there) watched the uncensored version (what has been seen can't be unseen). If you only watched the censored version of the episodes please do elaborate how it is more risque than the manga (since a slight change in art style and animated scenes by themselves do not make a series about visiting brothels more risque by themselves).
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
AnimeLab and Wakanim are streaming it still, and they are Western streaming sites. Clearly this is a US thing.
And Wakanim in Norway pulled it from their site.
I said it in another thread, but I think they did it for the same reason as Amazon (as said in the part of the quote you cut out), that they were relying on the Funi sub and decided not to source it themselves like AnimeLab
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Anyways, I really hope Crunchyroll or Hidive will pick this up. Really disappointed in Funimation for all of a sudden coming up with "standards" out of the blue, when they clearly were even expecting an uncensored version (the Funi page for Reviewers was advertised as being uncensored before and several days after the first episode aired

I'm no betting man but I'd assume they were expecting it be akin to something like JoJo or High School Of The Dead which were censored in their television airings (which censored stuff like bloody injuries, smoking,groping, & nudity) but didn't feature any sex scenes.

DjangoDCCX wrote:

This is on par with Disney Anime hyper picking up Naruto Shippuden (and pretty much anything intended for a mature audience without doing proper research)

Naruto Shippuden was a shonen anime meaning they picked it up to air for the appropriate audience....just like when Cartoon Network did the same with the original series.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:07 pm Reply with quote
sneakysnake128 wrote:
Quote:
You know I see people going all “those pesky feminists trying to get this pulled” but I honestly didn’t see that much blowback compared to Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero, or even Nekopara. I really don’t think it’s “them” dude.

Yeah I'm not getting that vibe either. It's more like what they think would garner hate from feminists then self-censoring preemptively.

I don't know enough about the show (and based on what I do know, will not be changing that!) to have an informed opinion on whether it should have been removed from Funimation & Amazon Prime, but -- wow --.. this ... is really quite the pretzel of an argument just to get to blame your desired boogeyman(/lady).
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
AkumaChef wrote:
I have read the first two volumes of the manga in their entirety and I've seen the first two eps of the anime.... The anime is a heck of a lot closer to hentai.

It seems to me you (like most other people out there) watched the uncensored version (what has been seen can't be unseen). If you only watched the censored version of the episodes please do elaborate how it is more risque than the manga (since a slight change in art style and animated scenes by themselves do not make a series about visiting brothels more risque by themselves).

I watched the uncensored version of the anime, yes.
I can't comment on any of the censored ones.

I suspect that the main difference is this:
In the manga, there's no genatalia shown, and the so-called "sex scenes" are less of a focus of the content than the characters discussing things are. On the other hand, in the anime it seems that the sexy scenes are far longer, if that makes sense?
For example, I just re-skimmed the first 4 chapters of the manga. There's not a single "sex scene" shown, though plot-wise the characters have been with elves, older humans, bird women, cat-girls, and fairies. Every bit of the "naughty stuff" is off-camera, and the overwhelming majority of the pages are simply characters talking.
Chapter 1: 12 pages. 3 of them show females in skimpy clothing, the rest of the pages don't even have that.
Chapter 2: 8 pages. 1 of them shows a woman in revealing clothing
Chapter 3: 10 pages. 1 with skimpy outfits.
Chapter 4: 12 pages. 3 pages with skimpy outfits, 1 with a male crotch bulge

The manga seems to be a comedy where most of the humor comes from the different characters discussing their preferences in prostitutes. The anime is much closer to a hentai in that the visuals are just as much, or are even more of a focus than the humor is.
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
LiteMangime wrote:
I swear, if you ask me, all this bad press from feminists, to streaming services jumping ship, it just garners more attention for the series and makes it more relevant in the news and I love it Laughing

You know I see people going all “those pesky feminists trying to get this pulled” but I honestly didn’t see that much blowback compared to Goblin Slayer, Shield Hero, or even Nekopara. I really don’t think it’s “them” dude.

Talking bout nekopara where are the ep reviews? Its such a cute little show
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:
I swear, if you ask me, all this bad press from feminists, to streaming services jumping ship, it just garners more attention for the series and makes it more relevant in the news and I love it Laughing

which is a bad thing since all it will do is have people watch them via illegal streaming.

its a bad call on their end, especially since they have licensed even more outrageous fanservice series (Rin: Daughters of Mnenosyne [correct me cause i probably spelled it wrong], valkyrie drive, sin nanatsu no taizai, shinmai mao no testament, tsugumomo and highschool dxd) and funi had no issues with them. especially with rin, shinmai & valkyrie drive which seriously pushed the boundary between a fanservice series & softcore hentai!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I still find it funny that people are blaming feminists when it is more than likely the other side of the spectrum....
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the Funimation show that probably comes the closest to this one is How Not To Summon a Demon Lord which had a lot of racy sexual content and BDSM themes though that show still never became overtly graphic and it still seemed like the fanservice elements were secondary to the isekai plot.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
In the meantime, the show just jumped on # 2 in top of the best anime of all time on MAL.
I know people like to meme and riot, but this is ridiculous.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
gamegodtre wrote:
...Talking bout nekopara where are the ep reviews? Its such a cute little show
Sorry, it was not selected for weekly reviews, see following animenewsnetwork.com/site-news/2020-01-14/your-daily-streaming-reviews-schedule-winter-2020/.155371
Coldcherrii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
In the meantime, the show just jumped on # 2 in top of the best anime of all time on MAL.
I know people like to meme and riot, but this is ridiculous.

Because a Youtuber told their suscribers to review bomb the show.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:49 pm Reply with quote
LiteMangime wrote:

As far as I can tell, this is the extent of what animefeminist has written about Interspecies Reviewers:

Quote:
Pit of shame
These shows need to go to their room and think about what they’ve done.

Interspecies Reviewers (Episode 1): Fantasy dudebros review their sexual experiences with various humanoids; there’s heavy fanservice, but it’s the rape culture that damns it.

Not surprising that they wouldn't care for it; still, note the complete absence of anything resembling "We demand that companies remove this degenerate filth from their services!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4