• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kingdom Anime's 3rd Season Streams Teaser Video, Reveals 3 More Cast Members

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dardre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this won't be that bizarre blend of 2D and 3D CG characters that it was for the last two seasons.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
Hopefully this won't be that bizarre blend of 2D and 3D CG characters that it was for the last two seasons.
If Pierrot not learned their lesson after so many years - it certainly will be. Though, the staff change is can do miracles.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:11 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Dardre wrote:
If Pierrot not learned their lesson after so many years - it certainly will be. Though, the staff change is can do miracles.

When you consider the state of Pierrot nowadays, and the fact it's being animated by St. Signpost, as opposed to the main Pierrot studio, they probably will out of necessity. Pierrot barely has enough resources to keep Boruto & Black Clover going, so they're going to need to use CG (where they can) to help with budget costs. Even though it's been a while, it's still picking up from where season 2 left off, so they do need to try and remain somewhat consistent. If the series doesn't have CG, then expect the art and animation to be subpar/very inconsistent, cause they simply don't have the manpower to make the whole thing 2D and look good nowadays.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Dardre wrote:

3D CG for melee battles has been in place for over a decade now, I first recall it coming up in Guin Saga but I’m sure earlier use can be found. I don’t expect that to change.

It is profoundly disappointing that better shading and compositing techniques haven’t become more widespread in that decade. Either studios have figured it out or they haven’t, there doesn’t seem to be an inbetween at all. Still, there are good studios. I think Orange does a pretty good job, especially with closeup 3D CG. Beastars is about as close to 3D CG looking like anime as it gets. Their Idolish 7 AMV is pretty good, too. It just goes to show that competence in something can go a long way. I think the problem is that production committees think 3D CG can carry more water than it does. It saves time, to be sure, but if you rush it too much and lack skilled staff, you get the crap we saw with earlier seasons & Berserk. They don’t realize it, but that crap is as jarring to the human eye as poor 2D animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1