• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: LaLaport Numazu Removes 'Sexualizing' Panel of Love Live! Sunshine!!'s Chika

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:54 am Reply with quote
burning_scrub wrote:
nargun wrote:

So they're making drawings that emphasise the location of the vagina on characters intended to be seen as underage because they want to make drawings with arrows pointing to exactly where your penis would go if they were real people you could fudge.

Dude, that's the accusation, not a defence.

Trying to fight the tide on high schoolers being portrayed like that in anime or related works seems like a fruitless endeavor to me. Regardless, I was addressing a specific criticism about realism. This is a completely different discussion.

No it's not, although understanding the reason why it's the same discussion may require the application of a bit of logic.

Thus. If the statement "the art is deliberately unrealistic" is true, then it remains true when you substitute the actual way the art is unrealistic for the word "unrealistic". In this case, the way the art is unrealistic is that it's drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits, in a way that real skirts don't behave like. I think that much is undisputed, but it's certainly part of the discussion, no?

So we can replace unrealistic with drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits, and the resulting statement remains equally true. Or equally false, either way. If you prefer syllogisms:
+ "the art is deliberately unrealistic" [your position]
+ "the art is unrealistic because it's drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits" [plain observable reality]
+ "the art is deliberately drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits" [your position, restated in context]

I mean, you're not arguing that the drawing unrealistically-but-deliberately includes three legs or has her hair coloured purple, because neither of those things are actually there. The actual unrealism that people are talking about, and thus the actual unrealism that you are saying is included deliberately, is the aforementioned "penis goes here" arrow, no? And, well, if it's an artistically valid decision to draw it that way then there's a reason to draw it that way and we'd kind of like you to tell us what you think that reason is.
burning_scrub

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

No it's not, although understanding the reason why it's the same discussion may require the application of a bit of logic.

Thus. If the statement "the art is deliberately unrealistic" is true, then it remains true when you substitute the actual way the art is unrealistic for the word "unrealistic". In this case, the way the art is unrealistic is that it's drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits, in a way that real skirts don't behave like. I think that much is undisputed, but it's certainly part of the discussion, no?

So we can replace unrealistic with drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits, and the resulting statement remains equally true. Or equally false, either way. If you prefer syllogisms:
+ "the art is deliberately unrealistic" [your position]
+ "the art is unrealistic because it's drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits" [plain observable reality]
+ "the art is deliberately drawn with a great big arrow pointing to a teenage girl's sexy bits" [your position, restated in context]

I mean, you're not arguing that the drawing unrealistically-but-deliberately includes three legs or has her hair coloured purple, because neither of those things are actually there. The actual unrealism that people are talking about, and thus the actual unrealism that you are saying is included deliberately, is the aforementioned "penis goes here" arrow, no? And, well, if it's an artistically valid decision to draw it that way then there's a reason to draw it that way and we'd kind of like you to tell us what you think that reason is.

My position is that it's ridiculous to criticize the skirt for not being drawn like reality when there are many other parts of the image that are equally unrealistic. I pointed out that it's intentional because if the artist wasn't trying to draw a realistic skirt, then the skirt not being true to life isn't some objective failing. The sexualization could be fixed with an equally unrealistic skirt, and that would solve the complaints. Criticizing the subject matter is perfectly fine, but it can be harder to defend; in lieu of that, there's a tendency to latch onto these nonsensical attempts at objective criticism, which as I said is lazy.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that last paragraph, but I agreed that the intent was to make the character sexier in my first response. This is in fact a perfectly valid artistic reason to do what the artist did; that doesn't mean it's beyond criticism. You're welcome to your feelings on the matter, but that's outside the scope of my initial comment and I've had my fill of condescension for this discussion.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
IMS Judi wrote:

No, no, you got it backwards.

This is a perfectly fine and innocent image. If you live here long enough, Japanese teenagers roll up their uniform skirts to ridiculous short lengths all the time.

However, if you actually see this image as erotic or obscene for some reason, maybe it's you who needs to "re-evaluate your life choices?"

This has nothing to do with skirt length. It's about a skirt drawn in such a way that no real article of clothing would ever act, with (as another poster put it) the express purpose of drawing attention to that part of the girl's anatomy.

Actar wrote:

But in all seriousness, people don't seem to understand that it's not the content we're standing up for, it's against the censorship of content that a minority of people dislike because they find it too objectionable. It's the principle of things, you know? I might find a ton of things disagreeable (like your opinions in general), but I think it's perfectly fine for them to be expressed.

...did you just Godwin teenage girl junk? Because I must say that's a bold rhetorical strategy.

harminia wrote:

Is this artist known for doing stuff like this? I don't know who the artist is.

I don't know if it's a singular artist or a staff thing, but someone earlier in the thread posted a few different images featuring the crotch-skirt look. Apparently it's a recurring thing, which just raises further eyebrows.

burning_scrub wrote:

An exaggerated skirt fold doesn't make a piece of artwork "profoundly shitty", especially given the stylization of the entire image. Insulting the artist is unnecessary. They likely do know how it works, and just like those boob sock shirts made an aesthetic choice; a perfectly valid one, even if it isn't to your taste. The argument that it needs to be realistic because he's drawing something that exists in real life doesn't hold up when the character's eyes are the size of golf balls and her nose is a dot. Human faces also exist in real life, and they look nothing like that. This extremely selective enforcement of real life accuracy in stylized images has never been anything more than a lazy, dishonest potshot at subject matter people disapprove of.

Any of us who have watched anime for any length of time recognize that it's an artform that frequently combines the stylized with the realistic. Of course the traditional " anime person" has exaggerated features, but said characters also frequently wear highly-detailed clothing and walk in front of near-photorealistic backgrounds. In this particular case, the girl is clearly meant to be wearing a normal realistically-designed schoolgirl uniform, but the fact that it looks so incongruous with how it should creates instant cognitive dissonance, at least in my book. As was noted, this was a deliberate choice by the author to create exaggerated emphasis on a teenage girl's crotch. Or maybe they just failed every figure drawing class they ever took, who knows.

And to anyone saying "why would you even notice this?", I'll be kind and assume you're very nearsighted.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Guys, cool it with the quote chains. It's one of Teh Rules.

My apologies, formatting on my phone is not ideal.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:17 pm Reply with quote
If seeing the outline of Chika’s crotch is considered offensive these days, then we have our priorities messed up.

Also, if a male character was featured in an event wearing clothing that would slightly reveal his crotch, would anyone really care?

Of course not.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
If seeing the outline of Chika’s crotch is considered offensive these days, then we have our priorities messed up.

Also, if a male character was featured in an event wearing clothing that would slightly reveal his crotch, would anyone really care?

Of course not.

You're talking about "moral guardians" here, they have nothing else better to do, but to complain about a small detail like an outline of Chika's crotch. It's nothing but projection of insecurities or worse.
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
NiPah wrote:
Ironically the initial outrage came from a Japanese model living in California, and boosted by an American living in Japan, personally I believe this is more a reaction to internet outrage then anyone living in Numazu. I still think it’s a shame and quite the over reaction to pretty tame imagery.

It's not that ironic. Expats, JETs, and forigners in general are always complaining about things like this and trying to stir the pot. Every week it seems like I read about some foreigner living in Japan getting into discourse with Japanese Twitter and being dogpiled on by Japanese people to the point that they have to go into protected mode to lie low for a bit. The worst I saw was someone trying to cancel Kyary Pamyu Pamyu a few months ago and getting absolute ravaged by her fanbase for it. As usual, the overwhelmingly majority of Japanese people had no issue with this poster, but the general idea is to get a lot of foreign attention on things like this and hopes it shames Japan into doing what they want. It really only works when they go after small targets like this though. A store that isn't used to being in public discourse can easily be spooked into caving into your demands with enough noise. But every time something like this happens I notice more and more people pushing back against it and being more and more vocal about it. All this really does in the end is make Japanese people hate foreigners even more.

It's almost like expats and JETs need to do a ton of research before taking the plane, boat, whatever to Japan. It would cut down on the senseless outrage nonsense.

Have you guys ever met any JETs and expats in Japan, or what gives you the right to generalize people like that?
I was a JET for three years and I don't remember having met another JET or expat who would go on a moral crusade about such trivial matter in anime/manga pop culture, seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...did you just Godwin teenage girl junk? Because I must say that's a bold rhetorical strategy.

Haha, I like how that's your only take away.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

It's not uncommon to see statues or ads with men in fundoshi all over the place, but those are always considered humorous and not sexual. Male bodies don't upset people as much as female bodies so probably not.

Swissman wrote:
Have you guys ever met any JETs and expats in Japan, or what gives you the right to generalize people like that?
I was a JET for three years and I don't remember having met another JET or expat who would go on a moral crusade about such trivial matter in anime/manga pop culture, seriously.

I have a long time friend who moved to Japan about 17 years ago. He sends us old retro games and merch that are hard to find outside of Japan He's cool, obviously. I know a few YouTubers who moved to Japan as well like Gigguk and The Anime Man. But y'know how it is; a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Haha, I like how that's your only take away.

I mean I thought it was the only part of your post that warranted comment, because the rest of your point doesn't really hold up. This isn't a book you can choose not to read, or a movie you can choose not to see, or a website you can choose not to visit. It's a public display in a public venue. If someone doesn't want to see highlighted girl crotch, their only choice would be to avoid the store entirely which is...somewhat counterproductive for a marketing tie-in. I mean, if you put that imagery in a doujin or upload it to a *booru, I'm absolutely fine with that. But using it as public promo material is a profoundly poor choice.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
If someone doesn't want to see highlighted girl crotch, their only choice would be to avoid the store entirely which is...somewhat counterproductive for a marketing tie-in.

Sure. That's their prerogative. You have to remember that no matter how benign something is, there will always be its detractors. If we were to heed each and every person who feels offended by something or another, there will be absolutely nothing left for the rest of us. In our relentless bid to be as inclusive as possible, we've ironically excluded everyone. Everyone has a right to be offended by something, but they should not have a right to dictate what should or should not be allowed to be expressed or enjoyed by others.

(Oh, you're also forgetting that controversy in and of itself is a great marketing strategy.)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Sure. That's their prerogative. You have to remember that no matter how benign something is, there will always be its detractors. If we were to heed each and every person who feels offended by something or another, there will be absolutely nothing left for the rest of us. In our relentless bid to be as inclusive as possible, we've ironically excluded everyone. Everyone has a right to be offended by something, but they should not have a right to dictate what should or should not be allowed to be expressed or enjoyed by others.

(Oh, you're also forgetting that controversy in and of itself is a great marketing strategy.)

There's a good reason the slippery slope fallacy is classified as a fallacy. This isn't "I don't like this character design because her hair color is weird," this is "I don't like this character design because it deliberately sexualizes an underage girl in a bizarre way for no good reason." That is a perfectly reasonable complaint to make. Again, if you like this particular style, go buy some character goods or doujin featuring it and knock yourself out. It doesn't belong in mass-market promo material.

Also no business in their right mind is going to implement a marketing strategy that actively drives away potential customers, because shockingly enough, businesses exist to make money. Controversy is anathema to any sort of business that targets the general public.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
You have to remember that no matter how benign something is, there will always be its detractors. If we were to heed each and every person who feels offended by something or another, there will be absolutely nothing left for the rest of us.

Stop. Right. There.

That's the bullstuff "slippery slope" argument that's based on the bogus assertion that people are routinely offended by something benign. There's nothing benign about sexualizing underage women. Nothing.

Let me repeat that so we're clear: You're defending something that a large number of people feel is repugnant. You're not a majority being repressed by a minority.
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This isn't "I don't like this character design because her hair color is weird," this is "I don't like this character design because it deliberately sexualizes an underage girl in a bizarre way for no good reason." That is a perfectly reasonable complaint to make. Again, if you like this particular style, go buy some character goods or doujin featuring it and knock yourself out. It doesn't belong in mass-market promo material.

You still fail to understand what I and many others are trying to say. Yes, there are people who choose to get offended by the image. Sure, you could even argue that it is a reasonable complaint (though what's reasonable is once again subjective). However, there are just as many, if not way more, who don't find the image objectionable, don't even notice the skirt or don't care one way or another. From disabling boob sliders in games to getting people fired over raunchy tweets to petitioning to get LGBT books removed from libraries, why is it that the offended vocal minority get to decide for everyone else what is and isn't appropriate? As much as I hesitated to use the slippery slope argument (it's an informal fallacy, not a formal one), this trend has become disturbingly prevalent.

DerekL1963 wrote:
There's nothing benign about sexualizing underage women.

Not when they don't exist. Let's not get into an argument over the rights of non-existent people, shall we?

DerekL1963 wrote:
You're defending something that a large number of people feel is repugnant.

...and your sources for this are? Surely not this forum. Nor this Change.org petition.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Let me repeat that so we're clear: You're defending something that a large number of people feel is repugnant. You're not a majority being repressed by a minority.

This is incorrect. Most people have no problem with this poster. It was a very small group of people who complained. Now there are women speaking up how they hate being dragged into this and they have no issue with the poster. Saying they do not see men cry about male sexual exploitation with works aimed at women. They are assuring otaku that they do not support what these few people say and want to enjoy things too.

https://twitter.com/sino_sakisaki/status/1230024606141956096

Just compare the numbers of likes and comments and retweets to this and other posts denouncing the actions of this complaint. It is a minority complaining. The majority stands against this harassment of LaLaport and Love Live brought to Japan's doorstep. Do not let westerners lie to you and tell you this is getting lots of criticism in Japan. It is not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6