• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Don't Panic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
I have to agree that if you start a fight you lose the right to complain when your opponent swings back. And it's always the Hollywood elite that swing first,

Yeah I think you need to go back and lurk some forum threads or social media plafforms whenever an adaptation of an existing work or a remake of a movie is made 9 times out of 10 it's the fans that are starting trouble not "the Hollywood Elites".

Some of this is based out of cynicism, some of this is based out of bias, a good majority of it is people deciding they want to be legitimately terrible people.

Horsefellow wrote:
I can assure you. Either way, it's a bad marketing technique.

Fans complaining about something is not a marketing technique......it's literally fans complaining about things.

Horsefellow wrote:

All it does is drive away your customers. Part of the reason Sonic did to well was because it listened to fan feedback

On the design?

The movie is still more or less what the studio, the director, & the writers wanted.

Horsefellow wrote:

and ensured it would appease its audience through both design and writing changes.

From what I've read the writing is one of the weaker parts of the movie. So whatever they changed in between that delay they didn't improve much on that front.

Horsefellow wrote:
That's what products should be doing, not talking down to their audience and preemptively berating them.

If your audience is made up of a bunch of sexists, homophobes, transphobes, racists and just all around bad people they kind of need be talked down to.

Horsefellow wrote:

It appears things changed the minute the Sonic movie listened to its fans and changed Sonic's design, which a lot of culture warriors felt was a mistake and would only make fans feel "entitled". It was just another dumb fight in the "culture war". The "feminist movie" was supposed to win against the "gamer movie".

Birds Of Prey was never guaranteed to beat Sonic at the box office especially being it was basically another movie set in the shaky DCCU for one and two Sonic originally wasn't even supposed to come out in the same period as BoP.

Really though no one cares whether Sonic made more money than BoP only people who care about that are people trying to establish specific narratives out of nothing.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:

Critics, websites, actors, writers, directors, and fans throwing everything they could against Sonic to desperately try to salvage the sinking ship they bet their chips on and each time they had their disinformation shut down.

Listen, I'm pretty sure you and I agree on absolutely nothing about media or people or life itself, but even I have to tell you this is crazy pants.

So if I'm to understand your thinking here, you believe that critics and writers and fans "bet their chips" - what, their personal... taste? Credibility? What does that even mean in the context of "people talking about a movie online"? There aren't any stakes in that - it's just people discussing what they thought about whatever they watched. Why would you frame it in this way? "Birds of Prey exists and I kinda enjoyed it" isn't "disinformation" - it's an opinion.

It's been said before, but I know literally not one person who enjoyed Birds of Prey and then said "Yeah! I'm gonna stick it to... uh... the Sonic movie for some..." You know, I can't even get through this sentence, it's such a dumb waste of time.

Watch less Youtube, hon.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Frankly I feel like the whole supposed Sonic vs Birds of Prey war is a myth that either isn’t happening or is largely been exaggerated by YouTubers. I saw a handful of screencaps from Twitter about it that got blown up in viral tweets but I’m not particularly aware of most DC fans complaining about the Sonic movie. As far as I’m aware, none of the major pop culture sites like The Mary Sue, Kotaku, Polygon, or io9 is talking about this supposed pop culture war. The only people I’m aware who have been making a big deal about this supposed Sonic vs BOP war are angry YouTubers making 30 minute videos about how the press is supposedly attacking against the Sonic movie even though it has glowing and literally everyone online likes it to monetize off it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I hate censorship of problematic scenes mainly because once something is made, it's a part of history and I think it's important to acknowledge that history. That said, history already happened. Royal is a new version of the game. The original is still out there. History is not being censored here. That's... pretty much all that matters to me.

That said, I'll be sticking to the Japanese game. I don't really have to worry about localization anyway. =P
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Which reminds me with people planning on importing the game to stick it to Atlus USA (and by extension Atlus Japan) for the change. Do these people know they'll be spending extra money to import the game and while buying the game used is also an option are they going to skip on the DLC too?
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which reminds me with people planning on importing the game to stick it to Atlus USA (and by extension Atlus Japan) for the change. Do these people know they'll be spending extra money to import the game and while buying the game used is also an option are they going to skip on the DLC too?

While I think that a lot of people may just claim to import the game out of principle, there will be a significant chunk of people that will follow through with their threat. I have known people that have refused to buy localized versions for whatever reason (ie. price/content in the US vs. abroad) and will spend the money to get an all region DVD player so that they can play that import. Everyone has their hang-up when it comes to hobbies.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:09 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
With the exception of the last scene which I legit don't remember those scenes weren't really offensive and relatively harmless compared to the scene that's being removed.

That didn't stop people from complaining about those scenes though. There was a lot of complaints about Persona 5's content so it's interesting that this is the only thing being changed, at least that they've revealed.

Quote:

I don't see anyone importing the game to stick it to Atlus. I see people importing the game to play the game without any censorship. The used game thing doesn't really matter if the problem is the lack of content on the disk. The DLC can be bought from the Japanese PSN store and chances are if people are importers they already have an account. If not, it's very easy to make one. But it is worth pointing out if anyone buys this game to stick it to the complainers, they're the ones who will be giving money directly back to Atlus Japan who created these scenes in the first place and felt they were find to be kept in the Royal version. So it's a bit of a win-win for Atlas Japan here. They get money regardless if people buy the American version or import it.

CardcaptorTakato wrote:
Frankly I feel like the whole supposed Sonic vs Birds of Prey war is a myth that either isn’t happening or is largely been exaggerated by YouTubers. I saw a handful of screencaps from Twitter about it that got blown up in viral tweets but I’m not particularly aware of most DC fans complaining about the Sonic movie. As far as I’m aware, none of the major pop culture sites like The Mary Sue, Kotaku, Polygon, or io9 is talking about this supposed pop culture war. The only people I’m aware who have been making a big deal about this supposed Sonic vs BOP war are angry YouTubers making 30 minute videos about how the press is supposedly attacking against the Sonic movie even though it has glowing and literally everyone online likes it to monetize off it.

The simplest summary I can think of is people are upset a comic movie didn't do well and rather than admit that maybe the film mishandled a lot of things, something we know because all the test screenings for the film were overwhelmingly negative in addition to negative reception to the marketing and all the promotional material leading up to it on social media, they tried to find a scapegoat. They first tried to blame men, like Gerry Conway and Gail Simone did in now-outdated Twitter rants, but then audience numbers came out and showed that more men than women saw the film so the focus shifted to the movie that came out a week after which was Sonic so sites like CBR, ScreenRant, and Pajiba started comparing the two, the later of which did a a rather angry and melodramatic article about how it was the end of cinema that Sonic would do better than Birds of Prey. For all the complaints I'm seeing about angry YouTubers, there seems to be no mention of angry tweeters or angry journalists who were the actual origin of all this.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Having grown up in a country that actually had gag laws and "anti-seditious" acts, the people acting high-and-mighty in their declaration of "censorship" at the removal of homophobia in a game makes me laugh.

Keep waving that flag. It's good comedy fodder.

Anyway, I'm kinda bummed about the coronavirus's effects on the gaming industry. The potential Switch shortages are one thing (it could put a wrench into Nintendo's plans if they get smacked with those when Animal Crossing comes out), but the over-reactions on behalf of other companies for their social events are just lame. E3 never gets cancelled over the flu. Confused
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
- Box-office battle: I know that a movie shouldn't be judge by how much it earned at the box-office, but I was rooting for Sonic to succeed.
- Coronavirus: there aren't any cases reported where I live, but it's interesting how this outbreak is affecting business. I hope that the Tokyo Olympics, and the opening of Super Nintendo World won't be affected, but the important thing is to spread awareness and that a cure is found soon.
- Atlus localization: I haven't played P5 but I heard about that scene, and I think Atlus did the right thing. Although I want to have an accurate translation, it seems that the scene in question doesn't affect the rest of the game, and to be honest, in this day and age everybody can look the original scene on the Internet, it's not like in the 80s and 90s when games and anime were changed for their international release and most people didn't notice (I know people were aware of the changes back in the day too, I have a magazine from the late 90s that made some complaints about FFVII's translation and its errors). All in all, I don't think that you can please everybody when translating a foreign work, some people complain that the translation took many liberties, others say that it was too literal, that the dub was poorly made, that it didn't have a dub at all, etc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:22 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

That didn't stop people from complaining about those scenes though. There was a lot of complaints about Persona 5's content so it's interesting that this is the only thing being changed, at least that they've revealed.

It's not really that interesting when you remember the recurring issue of Persona and how it's treated Gays and Trans people as transparent (and offensive Jokes) with more of the world becoming far more accepting of the LGTBQ community these jokes are going to stand out to people and not in a good way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2