• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin 'Final Chapter' Films' Teaser Previews Kenshin vs. Enishi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
is it wrong to not like the fact watsuki profits off these films
leongsh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

It's based on his work and the intellectual property that he owns. Thus, he should profit from it. Which part of that is wrong?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

It's based on his work and the intellectual property that he owns. Thus, he should profit from it. Which part of that is wrong?

it's not like i implied he shouldn't. Just the fact, you know, *he* profits in general.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

It's been brought up in other articles regarding these movies that Shueisha's policy, as evidenced by the Hideaki Sorachi's comments regarding the live-action Gintama movie, is a one-time royalty before pre-production, and nothing else. Therefore, Watsuki likely already got all the money he was owed before this movie even got started, and any money it earns in Japanese theaters will not go to him, whatsoever.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:02 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

it's not like i implied he shouldn't. Just the fact, you know, *he* profits in general.

And it's not even just monetary; there's also notoriety involved.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'll admit these movies are looking very cool, and reminding me what I enjoyed about the first three movies--but speaking for myself, I have been unable to go back to them after finding out what I did about the original author and have no drive to see these new ones should Funimation still feel compelled to get them in spite of everything. Some seem to think that as long as the original author doesn't get paid, that's enough to "separate the art from the artist". I have no understanding of that, because the way I see it, it doesn't remotely matter if the author gets paid or not--nothing changes the fact this was all created by him in the first place, and I just can't get over that and enjoy these movies on their own (again, speaking for myself).
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I'll admit these movies are looking very cool, and reminding me what I enjoyed about the first three movies--but speaking for myself, I have been unable to go back to them after finding out what I did about the original author and have no drive to see these new ones should Funimation still feel compelled to get them in spite of everything. Some seem to think that as long as the original author doesn't get paid, that's enough to "separate the art from the artist". I have no understanding of that, because the way I see it, it doesn't remotely matter if the author gets paid or not--nothing changes the fact this was all created by him in the first place, and I just can't get over that and enjoy these movies on their own (again, speaking for myself).

It's not just enough,sadly,and it's hard. Despite Watsuki's vile and inexcusable actions,he did create a beautiful story. It's like separating Alice in Wonderland from Lewis Carroll who was (and still is,to this day) accused of being on drugs while writing the story,or Harry Potter from J.K.Rowling given her recent controversies.

My admiration is for Kenshin,not Watsuki.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... one interesting question... The trailer shows a character to who appears to be Otowa Hyōko (or possibly Nakajō of the Yaminobu). It makes me wonder whether these new movies will include all of Enishi's Six Comrades? What complicates things is that the first Kenshin movie already featured Gein and Inui Banjin as working as hired henchmen for Kanryū Takeda. It will be interesting to see if the same actors reprise those roles.

Although... honestly their appearance in the first Kenshin film wasn't very recognizable as their manga counterparts. For example the "Gein" that appears in that movie fights a lot more like Otowa from the manga (a ninja with numerous hidden assassin weapons) rather than Gein from the manga (a karakuri puppet master).
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Hmm... one interesting question... The trailer shows a character to who appears to be Otowa Hyōko (or possibly Nakajō of the Yaminobu). It makes me wonder whether these new movies will include all of Enishi's Six Comrades? What complicates things is that the first Kenshin movie already featured Gein and Inui Banjin as working as hired henchmen for Kanryū Takeda. It will be interesting to see if the same actors reprise those roles.

Although... honestly their appearance in the first Kenshin film wasn't very recognizable as their manga counterparts. For example the "Gein" that appears in that movie fights a lot more like Otowa from the manga (a ninja with numerous hidden assassin weapons) rather than Gein from the manga (a karakuri puppet master).

I'm interested in two things:one,if the first movie will be anything like the Trust and Betrayal OVA,the only one of the two I actually enjoyed,and two,how Kaoru's "death" will play out.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Have they cast Tomoe yet?
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Have they cast Tomoe yet?

Not as far as I know but it could be the same actress who appeared in the flashback back in the first movie.
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Nobody would notice if they recast Tomoe because her face isn't even seen during that flashback in the first movie.

It would be very cool if they bring back Yusuke Iseya as Aoshi Shinomori, since he was involved in this story arc in the manga. But I doubt it at this point, since he hasn't been mentioned in the cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1