• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Tokyo Mew Mew Project Teased With Countdown Site

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hika Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:09 am Reply with quote
With all of the new manga, the Blu-ray for the original anime and this, it seems that Tokyo Mew Mew's 20th anniversary has started off with a huge BANG! I'm so excited!!!
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:32 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen anything about this series in quite some time. Definitely interested to see what the announcement is.
Sheriru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
The Manga was ok, the Anime just Average and its pretty old. Who needs a New Anything of this?
But it had the whole "We need to save the Animals"-Vibe, maybe thats the Bandwagon they want to jump on...
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:47 am Reply with quote
Sheriru wrote:
The Manga was ok, the Anime just Average and its pretty old. Who needs a New Anything of this?
But it had the whole "We need to save the Animals"-Vibe, maybe thats the Bandwagon they want to jump on...

It was my favorite anime growing up and still means a lot to me. I’ve been loving all the new content and I’m super excited that there will be more. Also, the reason for the revival is that it’s the manga’s 20th anniversary this year.

As for what the project could be, I’m guessing an anime reboot. It would be cool if they included A la Mode this time. I know it’s not as popular, but Berry’s my favorite and seeing her animated would be amazing. Whatever it turns out to be, I’m excited.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will be an anime reboot or maybe a sequel? I’m really excited because I enjoyed Tokyo Mew Mew a lot back in the day. And I’m always here for more magical girl shows that aren’t just grim dark shows or Precure which seems to mostly dominate the magical girl market nowadays. But I’m wondering if this is a new anime of some sort, how will it be released in the US? The original anime was only released through a localized dub that was canceled halfway through the show by the now defunct 4Kids and the anime never got a proper uncut release like Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura did. Though the manga is available in a faithful English translation.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Of all the anime that desperately need a reboot, I don't consider this one of them. It's a cute little Sailor Moon knockoff but otherwise I didn't consider it anything worth remembering. Still, curious to see what they plan to do with the franchise. There might be some potential here.
Hopefully they remember to give the love interest a personality this time around. Goodness he was dull.

...or we're getting the gender-bent version. That's cool too.

Last edited by ThrowMeOut on Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
My best guesses as to what this could be are a remake of the anime, an anime adaptation of Tokyo Mew Mew a la Mode, or an anime adaptation of Tokyo Mew Mew Oré (although it’s probably a bit too early for that last one). Geez, the anticipation is killing me!
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, besides TMM getting a Blu-Ray release in JP. Yeah, chances are, and hopefully it'll be a reboot or something similar. A sequel series, well, the manga versions already had those. But you never know what could happen.

While yes, there also Oré/Au-Lait, but its too early to have an anime adaptation. Considering the manga is still ongoing. The countdown site clearly looks like its just going to be the main series in general for something. So yeah, 2020 seems to be the year TMM comes back in various ways.

spoiler[That and well wishing the original TMM anime would get a proper US release stateside too, since all we got was the manga, lol.]
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I actually loved the original anime series. I would be perfectly ok with a reboot of the series.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see a remake of this. I enjoyed the original back in the day granted it was the 4Kids version. I doubt there's much demand for the original version uncut now so maybe a remake would be the best way for new audiences not to mention international release.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey. My birthday...

One of the first magical girl shows I watched as a kid. So I have some sentimental attachment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1