• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Anime We Most Want to See in Live-Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
From the many complaints about GITS, Death Note and others I'm surprised many would say any show should be a Hollywood live action remake...I'd be happier if none of those shows got that but by all means, why should US corporations be denied raking in $$$ from fans of a proven money-maker like Fate Rolling Eyes
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
It would be a bit CGI intensive, but I always felt Blue Submarine No.6 would translate well into a TV show format. For as much as I like the original OVAs, I could never shake the feeling that it felt like a 12-episode show condensed down to four. More breathing room to pace things out and develop the characters and lore would be a perfect way to improve on some of the originals weaknesses.

Though most of the characters are Japanese, the story doesn't hinge on that very much. With the right cast, decent sets and monster makeup and a big enough CG budget for the underwater sub fights, the story and characters could be translated into live-action pretty well.
Scoot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
I think the only anime that Hollywood should look into remaking as live-actions are ones where the characters are mostly non-Japanese, that way they wouldn’t have to relocate and change names.
It bothers me when names get changed into something more familiar to us, but the story clearly takes place in a country where those names wouldn’t be common/used.

So the ones I think *could* work for Hollywood without the need to “Westernize” are:

Full Metal Alchemist
Last Exile
Attack on Titan
Gundam (any gundam)
No. 6 (a bit of a stretch)
Gungrave
Outlaw Star
Code Geass
Tiger & Bunny
Trinity Blood

Can’t think of any more with mostly Western characterizations/names.

Gundam is in the works already
bravesirz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
There's no doubt in my mind Hollywood will tap the wellspring of anime / manga for potential new franchises because let's face it: studio execs are creatively bankrupt. Why create something new, when you can shepherd something tried and true for potential millions? Anyway, here's a brief list of properties I think could be successful if adapted in the West!

(in no particular order:)
5. Gantz

4. Birdy the Mighty

3. The Big O

2. Hellsing

1. Parasyte
q_3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather see a Taiwanese puppet adaptation of Psycho-Pass. Much easier to have Dominators send puppet body parts flying than in live action. Plus it might actually get Urobuchi interested enough to come back to the series.
Color2413

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 pm Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:

No. 6 (a bit of a stretch)

I would be happy with a sequel that resolved the huge cliffhanger at the end of the "Beyond" book:

spoiler[Shion's grifter father heading for No. 6 with gold on his mind. What could possibly go wrong?]
Color2413

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Barciad wrote:
1. Vinland Saga. Divided as to who should play Askalad. Either Robert Downey Jnr or Christopher Waltz.

To be a successful live action adaption, "Vinland Saga" would have to measure up to the live-action "Vikings" series (on the History Channel in the U.S.), which is actually a much richer story, at least compared to the Vinland Saga anime so far. Moreover, the supernatural feats of strength displayed by some characters in "Vinland Saga" would require more suspension of disbelief in live action.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
dude, I'm just sitting here thinking how completely awesome it would be to see a live action Blood Blockade Battlefront directed by Guillermo del Toro. you can't tell me that wouldn't have the potential to be awesome.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Gantz has the potential to become a really good Hollywood Live-action sci-fi action film with all the good special effects.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I first watched Psycho Pass I've wanted to see a live action version in the west.

Only done by the BBC where it only takes the setting and base premise of the series and throwing it onto a future UK. Massive budget so they can actually use some good CGI. Would be really good.

That aside, Hollywood really needs to piss off with all of these ridiculous failed attempts at making anime as "muricanised" and mainstream as possible. Especially when they keep getting it wrong...
bones2039

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:57 pm Reply with quote
To me, the best anime to adapt to Hollywood live action are those that are already pretty western to begin with. Black Lagoon seems like a pretty easy choice, as well as Gunsmith Cats as both feel like they could easily be done without too many huge changes. Didn't Noir at one point have a live action adaptation in the works that didn't pan out? The sci-fi western shows feel like they could be decent too.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
We already have a live action Vinland Saga; it's called Vikings (as others have stated).
Psycho-Pass...yeah, Minority Report.
Berserk...The Witcher currently and a couple of years ago we had The Bastard Executioner.

Hollywood (yes, I say Hollywood because only they can do afford to do such heavy FX/CGI shows/movies at the moment) can come up with similar premised shows without having to deal with the headaches involved with licensing overseas properties.

But nonetheless, I'd like a live action:
Noir (oh wait, we almost had one.)
Gunsmith Cats
Log Horizon
Attack on Titan
Canaan
Broken Blade

That's just the anime fan in me.
Smile
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I think slice-of-life shows would work best in live-action. They're basically TV dramas and/or soap operas, only better-written. Monster would be excellent as well, since that's a psychological horror series.

In any case, shows like Fate or Code Geass would be too ambitious. It took 2 years to shoot all 3 Lord of the Rings movies, after all.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:01 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
...In any case, shows like Fate or Code Geass would be too ambitious. It took 2 years to shoot all 3 Lord of the Rings movies, after all.
Oh, but that means it could be a cash cow much bigger than LOR and for longer if it catches on with fans...I can't think of an exec not salivating at that prospect. Plus, if they adapt in the right sizes, the first couple of installments could be separable so if they failed, the project can be canned at any time...
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Kinda disappointed nobody mentioned Black Lagoon. That series is so inspired by American Action films, it's insane.

Honestly surprised Hollywood hasn't tried to adapt it already. It would be so easy.

Black Lagoon was my first thought too. It being easy to adapt is probably why Hollywood hasn't touched it yet. It would be hard for them to butcher something that is practically made for Hollywood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5