• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimeJapan 2020 Event Canceled Due to COVID-19 Coronavirus Concerns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceKirby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:10 am Reply with quote
Animelo usually announces the concert's theme and first batch of artists during the AnimeJapan, so with the event cancelation [they already announced they will change plans to a broadcast in an studio with no audience](https://anisama.tv/2019/news/detail20022701.html).
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:15 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
so is there actually a believable solution to this virus issue? You know, no edgy ass shit. Just rational opinions.

Frankly, besides Maintaining the basic personal hygiene and wearing face masks while attending high-populated areas, not much.

What mainland China And Singapore did was also a solution that World Health Organization recognizes as effective: shutting off the entire city/state that was densely-infected. But that was the extreme method, and cannot be applied worldwide, after all, shutting off Tokyo along is never a realistic option, and it would only cause even more panic.

It’s tricky time (as Asian American I can even felt the rising racism against us minorities in my local communities), just refrain from traveling or shopping frequently will lower your chances of being infected.

I wish everyone luck
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:56 am Reply with quote
I think the Olympics are much more likely to be delayed than outright cancelled. Tokyo is far south enough that even most outdoor events could be held through to mid-October and, if Coronavirus is still a concern through to the fall, maybe the Olympics will just be "Tokyo 2021" instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:03 am Reply with quote
IceKirby wrote:
Animelo usually announces the concert's theme and first batch of artists during the AnimeJapan, so with the event cancelation [they already announced they will change plans to a broadcast in an studio with no audience](https://anisama.tv/2019/news/detail20022701.html).

At least they already announced the dates (28, 29, 30 August 2020). Those wishing to attend should pre-order the 2019 blu-ray set and apply via Line ticketing using the coupon codes from the blu-rays, see: https://anisama.tv/2019/news/detail20011701.html (I've attended since 2011 except for 2014).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I think the Olympics are much more likely to be delayed than outright cancelled. Tokyo is far south enough that even most outdoor events could be held through to mid-October and, if Coronavirus is still a concern through to the fall, maybe the Olympics will just be "Tokyo 2021" instead.

The IOC already stated that if it comes to this, the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is more likely to be cancelled than postponed or moved elsewhere.

At this late in the game, the logistics of moving time or place for everyone involved, especially the athletes, would be too hard. People have other things that they have to do; other plans in their calendar outside the July-Aug time period of the Olympics. (Ex: baseball playoffs are in autumn, tennis year-end tournaments, track & field and swimming meets already scheduled in the fall, European futbol, etc.) They can't just move everything in their lives suddenly to accommodate a revamped Olympics.

But also importantly, the lucrative TV contracts that pay the IOC a lot of money - they gonna lose money competing against the likes of the NFL and college football, for instance.

Anyways, even if the Tokyo Olympics still happens in the summer, remember what happened in the 2016 Rio Olympics with the Zika virus fears? Many of the big-name athletes decided not to go, instead of risking getting sick and thus derailing their sports seasons.

So even if the 2020 Tokyo Olympics is a go, there'll likely be big-name athletes not a go. That's the problem the Olympics is facing again exactly like last time.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
It's not up to Japan though, it's up to the IOC
I doubt the situation is as naively simple as that, the IOC is likely bound by contract to the local and national governments to organize and manage the sporting events which may not have clauses for cancellation due to epidemic. Unless the Zika virus situation mentioned by another poster resulted in having such a clause, cancellation would require negotiation with or at least concurrence from the government bodies. The more $$$ committed or to be lost by an action, the proportionately less likely such will happen...
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
There are lots of comments on twitter about people with irregular employment (like many of the musicians) being more badly affected by the cancellation and postponement of events than those with regular employment.

Shinji Kakijima and Lisa Komine also postponed their March 7 live https://ameblo.jp/kakijimakun/entry-12578292037.html
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:42 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
so is there actually a believable solution to this virus issue? You know, no edgy ass shit. Just rational opinions.

May not necessarily be a "solution" but coronavirus like COVID-19 - it should be pointed out coronavirus is not a new thing and there are many types - are typically upper respiratory infections that primarily spread in fall and winter weather when it's colder. Asia along with North America are still in winter months, which is exaggerating it's transmission vessels when individuals are most likely to have their respiratory systems compromised.

There's an assumption that even if a 'treatment' per say is developed in the interim, the virus will eventually begin to stymie itself as warmer weather comes and individuals are less likely to develop respiratory infections. Of course that doesn't account for the 'now', and at best good personal hygiene and precautions have to be taken.

On the flip of this which hasn't been spoken of much in the news, Japan is seeing one of the lowest flu seasons it has experienced in recent memory primarily spurred by the even more extreme precaution the Japanese population take regarding their hygiene in the face of COVID-19.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I saw an announcement that the Olympics would not be cancelled. While I think it could be a good idea out of caution, there is too much money and planning committed to just "pull the plug". Plus, referencing the 1980 US Olympic Boycott, doing so would be massively unfair to the athletes, some of which might not have another chance at winning at the Olympics in their career. I can imagine some would brave getting coronavirus if they thought they could win something or make history and the shitstorm from the participating Olympic Committees who would not agree with such a move would be unbelievable.https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/02/26/japan-rejects-possible-tokyo-olympics-cancellation-amid-coronavirus-threat/#266ad094c9ee

First of all, the while the IOC has a say, Japan also has a say regarding the Olympics.

A better indicator is the nation's other sporting events--NPB isn't cancelling any games, they are just making them private events. You can still watch it on TV, and it's a good compromise for teams, players, and fans. It's not out of the question that this becomes the case for the Olympics as well.

There are a wide range of alternatives besides cancelling the Games. It is also unlikely it will be postponed, given the other options available.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
on a lighthearted note, why Gilgamesh front and center of that cool art over Saber next to all those heroes?
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
on a lighthearted note, why Gilgamesh front and center of that cool art over Saber next to all those heroes?

Simple. Gilgamesh is one of the main characters of the currently running Babylonia anime and he‘s practically the main star of that anime.

Saber meanwhile doesn’t have an on-going anime where she’s the main character. She’s a villain in Heaven’s Feel and she’s the main villain in the Camelot movies. (As Saber Alter and the Lion King, respectively.)
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Simple. Gilgamesh is one of the main characters of the currently running Babylonia anime and he‘s practically the main star of that anime.

Saber meanwhile doesn’t have an on-going anime where she’s the main character. She’s a villain in Heaven’s Feel and she’s the main villain in the Camelot movies. (As Saber Alter and the Lion King, respectively.)

oh is that right. Not too up to date with new Fate media but I remember the guy was one hell of a sicko in Stay Night and Zero so it seemed jarring to see him in a colorful cast of good-hearted characters
-SP-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
-SP- wrote:
Olympics will most likely be cancelled. People from all over the world will be flying in to watch the games, and the risk of spreading the virus to new parts of the world, is going to be too high.
Eh, by that point, the virus will probably be spread pretty much everywhere anyway, so what's the difference?

The speed and rate, it's easier to contain small numbers of people flying in rather then the large numbers we will see during the Olympics.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Frankly, besides Maintaining the basic personal hygiene and wearing face masks while attending high-populated areas, not much.

What mainland China And Singapore did was also a solution that World Health Organization recognizes as effective: shutting off the entire city/state that was densely-infected. But that was the extreme method, and cannot be applied worldwide, after all, shutting off Tokyo along is never a realistic option, and it would only cause even more panic.

It’s tricky time (as Asian American I can even felt the rising racism against us minorities in my local communities), just refrain from traveling or shopping frequently will lower your chances of being infected.

I wish everyone luck

Regular face masks won't help much either, as the virus can supposedly be transmitted through your eyes.

-SP- wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
-SP- wrote:
Olympics will most likely be cancelled. People from all over the world will be flying in to watch the games, and the risk of spreading the virus to new parts of the world, is going to be too high.
Eh, by that point, the virus will probably be spread pretty much everywhere anyway, so what's the difference?

The speed and rate, it's easier to contain small numbers of people flying in rather then the large numbers we will see during the Olympics.

Engineering Nerd wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

I wish everyone luck

Regular face masks won't help much either, as the virus can supposedly be transmitted through your eyes.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
-SP- wrote:
I doubt the situation is as naively simple as that, the IOC is likely bound by contract to the local and national governments to organize and manage the sporting events which may not have clauses for cancellation due to epidemic. Unless the Zika virus situation mentioned by another poster resulted in having such a clause, cancellation would require negotiation with or at least concurrence from the government bodies. The more $$$ committed or to be lost by an action, the proportionately less likely such will happen...

Yeah it's not as easy as I made it out to be, but a member of the IOC stated cancelling the Olympics was a possibility. Today, the IOC president said that are fully committed to the Tokyo Olympics schedule.

Last edited by -SP- on Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

oh is that right. Not too up to date with new Fate media but I remember the guy was one hell of a sicko in Stay Night and Zero so it seemed jarring to see him in a colorful cast of good-hearted characters

FGO kept the trend of showing antagonistic versions of the established stay night cast or subverting our expectations.

Artoria is an antagonist in Singularity F (as Saber Alter), the Fourth Singularity (as Lancer Alter) and the Sixth Singularity (as the Lion King). Three. Times. As Saber Alter, she wasn’t actual evil in Singularity F and actually kept it stable enough, so we could save the day, and Saber Alter is one of the main allies in Pseudo-Singularity I.

EMIYA becomes a villain in Singularity F. As EMIYA Alter, he shows up as a villain in Pseudo-Singularly I, but

spoiler[he was good all along] and he’s an ally in SE.RA.PH, usually doing the really dirty work for us.

Cú Chulainn is an ally (as a Caster) in Singularity F, but his Alter version is one of the two main villains in the Fifth Singularity.

Medusa shows up as both, a major ally (as „Ana“) and as a major villain (as Gorgon) in the Seventh Singularity.

Medea shows up as Medea Lily in the Third Singularity. Even as an villain, you‘d expect the Lily version to be nicer than the vanilla version, but nope, she’s the mastermind all along.

Sasaki Kojirou shows up as a Saber as the main villain‘s bodyguard in the Pseudo-Parallel World, mostly because to repay his dept, but he doesn’t do anything villainous.

Hassan of the Cursed Arm is a major ally in the Sixth Singularity.

Heracles is an antagonist in the Third Singularity and in Pseudo-Singularity II, as Megalos in the latter. In both cases, he‘s more like a force of nature, especially in the latter where he’s compared to a natural disaster and has no agenda.

Gilgamesh (Caster) is the main ally in the Seventh Singularity, and he will soon get his glorious moment in a few episodes. It’s not even new. He was a playable Servant in CCC, where we got him to see as a hero for the first time, and he’s a hero in strange Fake too.

Servants can be either on the side of the heroes or of the villains. It’s not a black-and-white thing.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:14 pm Reply with quote
A lot of productions are going to lose a lot of money, as venues require non-refundable booking deposits, which may not be covered by business surety (pandemics are often excluded with wars and disasters). A lot of people are going to be demanding refunds or filing chargeback requests for those tickets, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3