• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK's All Final Fantasy Poll Crowns Final Fantasy X as Best Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
LadyKuzunoha wrote:
^ Yeah, it surprises me a bit that it's still popular enough to get first place, though more due to 1) the people who jumped ship after X-2 became a thing and 2) how poorly received X-2.5 ~Eien no Daisho~ was received (for good reason, in my personal opinion) when it released alongside the HD remakes.

FFX does become better if you ignore the existence of those (which I imagine most people who voted for it did too). I'd put 7 first in terms of actual quality, but there a plenty of games I love which aren't the best, but leave way more of an impression on me than a technically 'good' game. The PS2 probably was just generally more accessible, too.

Surprised Lightning isn't higher up in the character list, only because the whole reason FF13 was able to carry on for so long was because she alone was so popular. To Zakarkand at the top is something I can get behind, though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Tactics not even being in the top 10 makes me very sad Sad
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Having played X first, I can understand its appeal. Whatever I disliked in Tidus and Wakka was more than compensated for by Yuna, Auron, and Lulu. I really like XII a lot for its large map and the introduction of the gambit system. I also replayed IX recently and quite enjoyed it. I beat the game this time around; don't recall if I did that on earlier playings. VI, VII, and VIII were all pretty good, but I prefer full-sized character models not the chibis in VI and VII. I might pick Rinoa in VIII as my favorite female character for her personality and her awesome powers.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:13 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Final Fantasy VI will always be the best Final Fantasy in my book as it was pure heartfelt storytelling from beginning to end with an amazing cast of characters and the best use of Mode 7 graphics that the Super Nintendo was able to muster. It didn't help matters that the game wasn't more heavily promoted like VII was. All we had for it were misleading ads showcasing Mog as an overpowered character.

That and the dodgy translation.

Shiratori-san wrote:
For me the best FFs are in this order: 9, 8, 7, 6. I hated the 10. Imo, 10 marks the start of the degradation of FF. It amazes me how it can be at the top.

You say and yet you got 9 as the best Final Fantasy over 3 other games that people like more than it.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I'm sorry but hard disagree. "Son of a submariner!" is still the best line in any Final Fantasy ever.

Never knew the main creator of Final Fantasy stepped down after X, but now it makes sense as to why the franchise dramatically changed after that. It really lost me after X. I tried XII, I tried XV, and while they weren't bad games, something always felt like it was missing. They stopped being whimsical fun... or something.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I'm sorry but hard disagree. "Son of a submariner!" is still the best line in any Final Fantasy ever.

Never knew the main creator of Final Fantasy stepped down after X, but now it makes sense as to why the franchise dramatically changed after that. It really lost me after X. I tried XII, I tried XV, and while they weren't bad games, something always felt like it was missing. They stopped being whimsical fun... or something.

For the first part, an here I thought it was "You spoony bard!"

On the second, yeah, thats why we have a raft of sequels/spin offs from the main game line. Hironobu Sakaguchi had a hard and fast rule: no direct sequels. Each game was to have their own storyline, with some common elements like mechanics, summons, chocobos and mogs, but contained in their own worlds. After he stepped down, you got X-2, XII (set in the world of Tactics) then the whole Compilation of Final Fantasy VII
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
This is a very interesting list. I was expecting to see FFVII in the number one spot so this was truly a surprise, though I have to confess that I haven't played FFX. It's also nice to see FFVI and IX in the top five, it would be nice to both games remade in 3D, but in the style of III and IV on the DS, not like FFVIIR beacuse they would probably take years to remade them.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
[

I find it funny that scene has gotten over more than Yuna and Tidus's laughing scene.
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not surprised FFX was the most popular in Japan. It feels very Japanese, with the Okinawan-like setting and the fact that the theme song singer Rikki also has roots there.

I really enjoyed it, it was the first FF I played (I went back and played 7 & 8 later). I've replayed it often, including the International version. I also helped my sister play through it (she didn't normally play rpgs but wanted to see the story). So I would argue it's a very accessible game compared to some of the others.

The story and characters are special to me. The theme "To Zanarkand", for me, really evokes the feeling of the journey they take together.

Sorry. got emotional for a second there. Razz I feel it's a well deserved win, with absolutely no hard feelings to the other FF titles, which all mean something different for everyone. It's interesting to see which titles imprint on people, depending how old you were or where you were in life when you first played it. Doesn't make one better above another, we're all different and like different things. It keeps life interesting!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
DeviousDybbuk wrote:
I'm not surprised FFX was the most popular in Japan. It feels very Japanese, with the Okinawan-like setting and the fact that the theme song singer Rikki also has roots there.

I believe I've read that production staff wanted to make a "more Japanese" game when X was conceived.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3