• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Top 5 Magical Girl Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am kinda sad that no one seems to remember Yūki Yuna is a Hero. That show and its spin-offs have some great writing and characterizations for the Mahou Shoujo genre, not
To mention how delicate they handle characters with disabilities.

I remembered! When the poll loaded, the first thing I did was scroll down to the bottom to make sure it was my first pick.

But yeah, it should have made the original list. It doesn't get talked about nearly enough.
Saffire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Magical Witch Punie-chan holds a special place in my heart...

Because it was lodged there by a Tokarev pistol and can't be operated on. Laughing
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
While the best magical girl to me is both Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, the truly best one would have to be one where it displays its yuri content unapologetically unlike many shows throughout its history.

Didn't both those anime heavily change and downplay a lot of content from the manga, or at least made it a lot more ambiguous? At least until Clear Card/Crystal came along.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:32 am Reply with quote
Glad the Other option to add is there... although need it twice... and showing my age
Hime-chan no Ribbon
Miracle Girls

These 2 go along with ChaCha.

Actually wait, Zettai Karen Children (Psychic Squad) isn't listed either to choose from.

Really hard to just pick 5 series...
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:49 am Reply with quote
This is a solid list, and 4/5 would be on mine as well (I'm not into Precure, but it's influence is massive and undeniable), but... I too do not get the inclusion of Symphogear. It really is the odd one out here.

I'm glad and pleasantly surprised to see Yuri on Ice made the top five in last week's poll.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:15 am Reply with quote
Sailor Moon will always remain my favorite, although I am liking Wedding Peach, Precure is enjoyable, I want to see Symphogear, and though I haven't seen much of Cardcaptor Sakura or Princess Tutu I found them very enjoyable.

I have always had zero interest in Madoka.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
No Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya? Granted I know it's more of an actual Fate series then magical girl series but it would have been cool to see a mention.

Oh, it definitely qualifies as a magical girl series, just one keyed to the Fate universe. It's one of the better action-oriented ones (even though I could do without the loli elements) and I'd easily put it in my Top 10. However, it's not influential like most of the titles mentioned on the list are.

Is Symphogear really considered more influential though? I thought just through the sheer amount of merch it sells, 4 seasons, a movie, it's representation in F/GO, and a 5th season on the way eventually Prisma Illya would be considered pretty damn popular.

Illya is my all time number one waifu so the loli elements definitely don't bother me but I can understand that turning some people away. Prisma Illya is easily my favorite entry in the Fate franchise though outside the original F/SN VN and F/GO and I love how it balances comedy, action, and drama throughout. 3rei specifically is a god damn masterpiece in many respects and I can't wait to see how it ends (manga has been releasing sporadically recently so knows how long that will take). The anime coming back soon for season 5 would be nice as well...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:39 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Key wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
No Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya? Granted I know it's more of an actual Fate series then magical girl series but it would have been cool to see a mention.

Oh, it definitely qualifies as a magical girl series, just one keyed to the Fate universe. It's one of the better action-oriented ones (even though I could do without the loli elements) and I'd easily put it in my Top 10. However, it's not influential like most of the titles mentioned on the list are.

Is Symphogear really considered more influential though? I thought just through the sheer amount of merch it sells, 4 seasons, a movie, it's representation in F/GO, and a 5th season on the way eventually Prisma Illya would be considered pretty damn popular.

Illya is my all time number one waifu so the loli elements definitely don't bother me but I can understand that turning some people away. Prisma Illya is easily my favorite entry in the Fate franchise though outside the original F/SN VN and F/GO and I love how it balances comedy, action, and drama throughout. 3rei specifically is a god damn masterpiece in many respects and I can't wait to see how it ends (manga has been releasing sporadically recently so knows how long that will take). The anime coming back soon for season 5 would be nice as well...

If you followed the live and background work behind it, it inspired a lot of voice actors to do better and inspired a lot of would be sakuga artists that made the series successful in the first place despite being anime original. Meanwhile, Fate being cash cow as far as the current franchise goes doesn't mean it's influential, that would be the same if Call of Duty was influential in video games (which it isn't)
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:01 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Heishi wrote:
While the best magical girl to me is both Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon, the truly best one would have to be one where it displays its yuri content unapologetically unlike many shows throughout its history.

Didn't both those anime heavily change and downplay a lot of content from the manga, or at least made it a lot more ambiguous? At least until Clear Card/Crystal came along.

The Clear Card is a sequel, not a new version of the original anime. Therefore, I doubt that this is the case. As for Sailor Moon, if by “yuri content” you don’t understand a stronger emphasis on partnership between female characters in the manga, the difference between the original anime and Crystal is mainly in the amount of homoerotic subtext. For example, the relationship between Usagi and Seiya lost their lesbian connotation due to a literal gender change, while the bromance between senshi became less idealized and intimate. This is definitely a noticeable change in work style, but it is clearly not "heavy downplay a lot of content".
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Key wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Notice I said "most" in the sentence about influential, and Syhmphogear is the exception I was referring to. While it may have had some behind-the-scenes influence as one other poster mentioned, it hasn't had any significant influence on the style and content of magical girl series that followed; if anything, it's taken cues from earlier hybrid magical girl series like My-Otome in its mecha-like aspects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:45 am Reply with quote
I would like point out that on the list Tomoyo is spelled Tomoya which is wrong.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Though, it should not be illya the one that is there in place of symphogear, but Nanoha.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am kinda sad that no one seems to remember Yūki Yuna is a Hero. That show and its spin-offs have some great writing and characterizations for the Mahou Shoujo genre, not
To mention how delicate they handle characters with disabilities.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero, was all those things until the final episodes. That is when the creators of the show trashed their characters, and made their actions unbelievable. Not even human.

It was a great show, with good animation, and characters you could like and sympathize with, but it ended on a really sour note. The second season didn't really fix that either.

That is probably why it didn't make the top five, not because it has been forgotten.
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This list is highly lacking Ojamajo Doremi
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I would have added Magic Knight Rayearth. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4