• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Monogatari Series Anime to Catalog

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh yippee. I cant wait to watch all 12 episodes of Bakemonogatari on the always functioning Funimation app.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean it'll get finally dubbed?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
nope. just getting added as is, like everything else they've added from Nozomi and Aniplex
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Now if we could get a reasonably priced BD release out of this, then I'd be excited!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Now if we could get a reasonably priced BD release out of this, then I'd be excited!

THIS!
crh1985

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ryuji-Dono"]Does this mean it'll get finally dubbed?[/quote]
I don’t think so but if they do I wonder what lines there going to change
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Not gonna happen.

VORTIA wrote:

Nor is this.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:

Sadly, probably won't happen. Aniplex doesn't really care much about the (tiny) US/Canada DVD/BR market, but they do care greatly about the Japanese market (which is much, much larger). Since Japan and US/Canada share the same DVD/BR region, the last thing Aniplex wants is for Japanese consumers to get in the habit of buying US/Canada releases from online retailers and simply shipping them to Japan. Even with shipping charges, the US/Canada releases of some titles cost new as much as half their Japanese counterparts.

Notice that non-Region-1 releases of all Monogatari titles (and really, most Aniplex titles) are generally much, much cheaper than the Region-1 releases.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Unlikely, but one can hope.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
VORTIA wrote:

Sadly, probably won't happen. Aniplex doesn't really care much about the (tiny) US/Canada DVD/BR market, but they do care greatly about the Japanese market (which is much, much larger).

Aniplex is a division of Sony. Funimation is now also a de facto Sony brand. Why would Sony purchase controlling interest in Funimation if they didn't feel their business model was more profitable in North America? I predict an eventual merging of Aniplex USA & Funimation, as it just doesn't make financial sense to operate two competing labels. Will that ultimately result in reduced cost Blu-Rays for Monogatari? Who knows, but I can hope! Even in Japan, BDs get discounted eventually. At over a decade old, Sony may have decided they can loosen their mitts on the franchise a bit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
this series is genuinely one of the best anime has to offer in pretty much every aspect. SHAFT put a ton of effort into Monogatari on a technical level.

Unfortunately, most people out of Japan just dismissed it as unorthodox (it's a very confusing anime in structure) paedophilic garbage.

Where Kizu is on a legal standing doesn't help either.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Unfortunately, most people out of Japan just dismissed it as unorthodox (it's a very confusing anime in structure) paedophilic garbage.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in North America Monogatari seems to have a strong following. Although I agree that Monogatari is an acquired taste, and I get why its detractors don't like it.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
Sadly, probably won't happen. Aniplex doesn't really care much about the (tiny) US/Canada DVD/BR market, but they do care greatly about the Japanese market (which is much, much larger). Since Japan and US/Canada share the same DVD/BR region,
That's half right, they share the same BD region. Japan is DVD region 2 and North America is region 1. Of course that too caused problems, way back in the early 00s, Manga UK could not work out why Stand Alone Complex was selling exceedingly well, turned out that people in Japan were exporting it as it was relatively cheap.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in North America Monogatari seems to have a strong following. Although I agree that Monogatari is an acquired taste, and I get why its detractors don't like it.

and why dont they like it or why is it an acquired taste? Too talky and unabashed with its fanservice? Those are pretty flimsy reasons.

I dunno if it's just a Nisio Isin thing. I always imagined SHAFT is just not liked in North America. Their best works from what I know don't get much fare in places that like manly content than "girly' things. Madoka Magica, Hidamari Sketch, 3 Gatsu among others are too "sentimental" to them.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
[and why dont they like it or why is it an acquired taste? Too talky and unabashed with its fanservice? Those are pretty flimsy reasons.
Everyone I've ever spoken to who didn't like it, say that it is too pretentious. Some people who even like it, say that they do despite it being pretentious. So that seems to be a big sticking point with a lot of people.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
[and why dont they like it or why is it an acquired taste? Too talky and unabashed with its fanservice? Those are pretty flimsy reasons.
Everyone I've ever spoken to who didn't like it, say that it is too pretentious. Some people who even like it, say that they do despite it being pretentious.

i'd never trust any human being that uses that word. And there should usually be a long ass explanation for it. It's just a quick way to dismiss things a little higher on the brow from "hulk smash" entertainment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3