• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Was BEASTARS Worth the Wait?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
Wait - did Netflix really have both the sub and the dub say "Rouis"? I watched it from.. a ah.. different source, binged the whole series Wednesday night, and I'm pretty sure there's even places where it's written down on posters or such in the show as "Louis" (i could be wrong, I'm ancient and my memory isn't what it used to be). Also, in the sub I watched, it was "Dark Market" rather than "Black Market", which I think has a nicer ring given the specific items for sale. Lots of other minor differences in the translation. I always worry about "Official" translations because they tend to over-Americanize things rather than keep the original intent of the author.

Gotta say I really enjoyed the series. Couple things amazed me, like how much expression they were able to get out of Haru's face with such a simple design. And it struck me about half-way through that, nobody should be surprised by her promiscuity, I mean that's what rabbits are known for - reproducing. The interspecies stuff I could see giving her a stigma, maybe.

Legoshi makes a fantastic character. His brooding, resting-gonna-eat-you-face makes me wonder if he was named after Bela Lugosi. All the accidental looming had me cackling.

The little squirrel girl was adorable.

The only thing that really bothered me about the animation was all the herbivores' having human-like fingernails (at least those that had human-like hands, barring the winged species). Bunnies have claws too, you know. Very good diggers.

Not a furry myself, although I can appreciate anthro characters (not so much the hentai, but I don't judge). I can definitely see this being huge among the furry community.

I fully support Legoshi & Haru's relationship. That hussie Juno can go find herself another wolf. Imagine a first-year dancer coming in and spicing up her own costume for the big festival dance, putting herself in front of all of her senpais.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:45 am Reply with quote
While many parts of it sound interesting, those first 4 screenshots--not counting the one from the obligatory bait-and-switch joke--made it abundantly clear that this is as much "not my bag" as that idiom is potentially made up on the spot. Never heard that one before.

The literal bunny girls are kind of a funny concept, I guess. But overall this looks to be several orders of magnitude too much horny-Zootopia for me. Which is weird because the one thing I thought I knew about this show was that it wasn't like that. The more you know, the less you actually know, I guess.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
Wait - did Netflix really have both the sub and the dub say "Rouis"?

The subtitles, yes. The dub thankfully calls him Louis like sane people. There's also some awkward episode synopses that list Haru as "Hal" so there's just a lot of weird inconsistencies to the localization. Again, thankfully the dub is free of any of that.
ICO44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I usually HATE 3D in anime but man Beastars looked good. It was damn worth the wait.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
You people who say the show looks awful dont know how to judge good CGI for shit. Beastars is probably one of the best looking shows to come out last decade. The show would have not captured the magic of the manga with normal 2D.

I don't buy that at all. That's like people who defended Aku no Hana's rotoscopped animation by saying it was the only way to capture the 'style' of the manga despite the fact the manga looked nothing like that. 2D would have been just fine for Beastars. I would argue better, because I also find the CG very off putting and the main weakness of the show.

GuruBuckaroo wrote:
Wait - did Netflix really have both the sub and the dub say "Rouis"? I watched it from.. a ah.. different source, binged the whole series Wednesday night, and I'm pretty sure there's even places where it's written down on posters or such in the show as "Louis" (i could be wrong, I'm ancient and my memory isn't what it used to be). Also, in the sub I watched, it was "Dark Market" rather than "Black Market", which I think has a nicer ring given the specific items for sale. Lots of other minor differences in the translation. I always worry about "Official" translations because they tend to over-Americanize things rather than keep the original intent of the author.

In that case you should use Rouis and Hal, because that's what's used in the original manga and on official merchandise when the characters names are written in English. "Louis" and "Haru" are technically the Americanized names.
ICO44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
You people who say the show looks awful dont know how to judge good CGI for shit. Beastars is probably one of the best looking shows to come out last decade. The show would have not captured the magic of the manga with normal 2D.

I don't buy that at all. That's like people who defended Aku no Hana's rotoscopped animation by saying it was the only way to capture the 'style' of the manga despite the fact the manga looked nothing like that. 2D would have been just fine for Beastars. I would argue better, because I also find the CG very off putting and the main weakness of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ef-44vOqc
I disagree.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
The CG in Beastars isn't 100% perfect but it does capture subtle, nuanced character acting in a way traditional anime just can't. Not without a massive budget anyways. You can learn so much about a character just from the way they walk, gesture with their hands, how they hold themselves ect. I remember being especially impressed by one scene where you could tell everything that was going on in Legoshi's mind simply by the way he tilted his head.

This is like the argument on whether Mob Psycho 100 has "good artwork" or not all over again. Beastar's animation is excellent. It may not be to everyone's taste, but it's doing its own thing and that's pretty cool.
Benisara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The CGI gets better as the anime goes along. Their movements are smoother and the blend of 2D and 3D is interesting. It's wayyy better than I thought it would be and I had watched Studio Orange's Land of the Lustrous a while before seeing this. I was not disappointed, it gets better, trust me.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
The CG in Beastars isn't 100% perfect but it does capture subtle, nuanced character acting in a way traditional anime just can't. Not without a massive budget anyways. You can learn so much about a character just from the way they walk, gesture with their hands, how they hold themselves ect. I remember being especially impressed by one scene where you could tell everything that was going on in Legoshi's mind simply by the way he tilted his head.

CG costs more than hand drawn does. CG only costs less on the very long term when you can reuse the same models and backgrounds over and over again. Objectively speaking, hand drawn is the ultimate and most versatile of the two since CG relies on preset models, backgrounds, and camera angles. With hand drawn, you draw each and every frame as you want it with no reliance on posing models or limitations of the invisible camera.

I do find it funny we're reaching the point where some people are now starting to say CG is better than hand drawn in the anime fandom though. Laughing Never thought I'd see the day. Not a fan of the limited animation CG myself. Guess I'm just an old school boomer who thinks Kimetsu no Yaiba's, Attack on Titan's, and Mob Psycho's animation is what's considered the top brass, not Beastars or Hoseki no Kuni. Those just look like dolls doing stop-motion animation. Maybe it's a younger generation thing. Those who grew up in the post-2D Disney era childhood.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:

I do find it funny we're reaching the point where some people are now starting to say CG is better than hand drawn in the anime fandom though. Laughing Never thought I'd see the day. Not a fan of the limited animation CG myself. Guess I'm just an old school boomer who thinks Kimetsu no Yaiba's, Attack on Titan's, and Mob Psycho's animation is what's considered the top brass, not Beastars or Hoseki no Kuni. Those just look like dolls doing stop-motion animation. Maybe it's a younger generation thing. Those who grew up in the post-2D Disney era childhood.

Eh, both methods of animation have their strengths and drawbacks, it's all about how they're used and the work environments/scheduling involved in their production. Orange, with their TV work so far, has definitely set a high standard for CG IMO, especially with Beastars' expressive character animation. There's a ton of attention paid to body language, subtle character expressions and physical tics that make the show feel far livelier than any CG production I've watched in the last few years. Frankly arguing about whether the show would or could work better with a different animation has to presuppose a lot about the hypothetical 2D version that it's kind of pointless.

As a side note it's kind of funny you mention Kimetsu since that series used a ton of CG elements in its biggest moments and even utilized CG rigs for characters in certain shots and scenes. Maybe you're not as "out of touch" as you suppose. Wink
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ICO44 wrote:
jellybeanbandit wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ef-44vOqc
I disagree.

Damn, you took the video I was gonna respond with. There is also this one I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyKHcegrrJI
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

I don't buy that at all. That's like people who defended Aku no Hana's rotoscopped animation by saying it was the only way to capture the 'style' of the manga despite the fact the manga looked nothing like that.

By "style", they meant "atmosphere", not "what it physically looks like".
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
[ Guess I'm just an old school boomer who thinks Kimetsu no Yaiba's, Attack on Titan's, and Mob Psycho's animation is what's considered the top brass, not Beastars or Hoseki no Kuni. Those just look like dolls doing stop-motion animation. Maybe it's a younger generation thing. Those who grew up in the post-2D Disney era childhood.

Those shows you mentioned all use a HUGE amount of CG. In Demon Slayer especially, nearly everything that isn't a close up is CG. Even the stuff that's hand drawn, those scenes are done first in CG to get the angle and movement right, then "drawn over" by animators. It's an especially useful tool for bombastic action scenes.

So essentially what you've said is yes, you do love CG animated shows Smile
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
Those shows you mentioned all use a HUGE amount of CG. In Demon Slayer especially, nearly everything that isn't a close up is CG. Even the stuff that's hand drawn, those scenes are done first in CG to get the angle and movement right, then "drawn over" by animators. It's an especially useful tool for bombastic action scenes.

You're being pedantic. You're basically saying since superhero movies uses a lot of CGI, it's the exact same as a Pixar or Dreamworks film, so people who say they don't like CGI animated films but like the Avengers films are hypocrites,, which no one would realistically say in good faith because it should be obvious why they're two completely different scenarios and situations and the way they're utilized differently. If anything, it just shows what Beastars could have been like instead by pointing to Demon Slayer and saying they're the same thing. CGI can be a great supplement, but it's never a replacement.

A lot of anime fans aren't fans of CGI anime. Especially that low-frame style studios like Studio Orange and Polygon Pictures put out. If people genuinely like Beastar's animation, good for them, but I hope those people can see why many people don't without the need for condescending comments about not being able to judge CGI properly. I enjoyed the manga and was disappointed when we learned the anime would be CGI. Same when I heard Dorohedoro was going to be CGI as well since it was another manga I loved.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 am Reply with quote
Well, this is not Seton with its weird frivolity, but I still have to admit that if the setting of this anime were normal, it would be one of the most interesting school animes for me. However, I also have to admit that its setting works and I really enjoyed the plot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3