• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Was BEASTARS Worth the Wait?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
Wait - did Netflix really have both the sub and the dub say "Rouis"? I watched it from.. a ah.. different source, binged the whole series Wednesday night, and I'm pretty sure there's even places where it's written down on posters or such in the show as "Louis" (i could be wrong, I'm ancient and my memory isn't what it used to be). Also, in the sub I watched, it was "Dark Market" rather than "Black Market", which I think has a nicer ring given the specific items for sale. Lots of other minor differences in the translation. I always worry about "Official" translations because they tend to over-Americanize things rather than keep the original intent of the author.

In that case you should use Rouis and Hal, because that's what's used in the original manga and on official merchandise when the characters names are written in English. "Louis" and "Haru" are technically the Americanized names.

Engrish in the Japanese manga and merchandise does not equate to the official character names. In my opinion, that would go to the official English manga translation by Viz, which spell the names Louis (the author has openly stated the character is based on King Louis of France), Haru, and Legoshi. Netflix has promoted in tweets that his name is Louis, and Netflix has acknowledged that the name "Rouis" was a mistake. https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1238487184988135424
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
The awful CG and animation ruins it completely for me.

God, please stop making shows in that style Netflix.

Um, this is by far the most anime-like Full cg production you are going to find. I think it is the gold standard for the next few years imho.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope nobody minds that I’m digging this article up! I don’t keep up with the binge model, ok?!
I just finished season 1 and I like this story way more than I thought I would, although I think the manga might be better at telling it. The OP is incredible, though!

I was trying to think of a way to describe Beastars to non-Otaku and came up with “Zootopia x CW’s Riverdale”. What do y’all think? Anthropomorphic animal world, set in high school, with murder mysteries, sex, love polygons, and more violence than it seems like it would have at first glance...
but I’d describe it to Otaku as Zootopia x O Maidens in Your Savage Season +...uh, murder? IDK. But it definitely have O Maidens gravitas in exploring young people’s issues with sexuality and growing up, in a good way

GuruBuckaroo wrote:

Legoshi makes a fantastic character. His brooding, resting-gonna-eat-you-face makes me wonder if he was named after Bela Lugosi. All the accidental looming had me cackling.

I fully support Legoshi & Haru's relationship. That hussie Juno can go find herself another wolf. Imagine a first-year dancer coming in and spicing up her own costume for the big festival dance, putting herself in front of all of her senpais.

Lugoshi *was* named after Bela Lugosi! Good catch!

I felt sad for Juno; she just wants Lugoshi to be into her. Discovering his interest in a girl from another species is kind of like finding out he’s gay, which sucks for her! But I might be saying that because I think Louis x Lugoshi romantic tension (if they were both bi) would make the story even more interesting! It disappointed me that all the romantic melodrama was so straight, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3