• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Nobuhiko Okamoto Confirms Marriage With Voice Actress Asuka Ōgame, Apologizes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
#868028 wrote:
The headline should be "Nobuhiko Okamoto cheated on his wife and apologizes for it (yes! He was married!)" because the way it is now, looks like he was apologizing for being married and that's not the case at all. Lots of people think that fans are in rage because he was married while they are in rage because he cheated on her with a prostitude in a love hotel! xD

Personally, I feel very sorry for his wife, I'm sure she doesn't deserve this. The scandal will pass as the Namikawa case, but I hope she divorce him. I'm very dissapointed with Okamoto not just because he cheated on his wife, but because he said he wants to gain back the trust of fans with his actor skills. You don't need to do that. You just need to be a better human being with your wife, not with us...

Even though he said he would try to be someone who could be faithful to his wife if he's forgiven? I'm disappointed in him too, but I'm not denying a second chance from him unless shown otherwise.
MakiharaMeiko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
#868028 wrote:
The headline should be "Nobuhiko Okamoto cheated on his wife and apologizes for it (yes! He was married!)" because the way it is now, looks like he was apologizing for being married and that's not the case at all. Lots of people think that fans are in rage because he was married while they are in rage because he cheated on her with a prostitude in a love hotel! xD

Personally, I feel very sorry for his wife, I'm sure she doesn't deserve this. The scandal will pass as the Namikawa case, but I hope she divorce him. I'm very dissapointed with Okamoto not just because he cheated on his wife, but because he said he wants to gain back the trust of fans with his actor skills. You don't need to do that. You just need to be a better human being with your wife, not with us...

Even though he said he would try to be someone who could be faithful to his wife if he's forgiven? I'm disappointed in him too, but I'm not denying a second chance from him unless shown otherwise.

A betrayal like that can't be forgiven so easily (for me, of course). If Oogame wants to give him a second chance it's up to her (of course), but if I were Oogame, and I discover through media that my husband is cheating on me... I'll divorce inmediately. Or separate, at least. And then, if he wants to make things better with me, be my guest, but I wouldn't want to see his face in a long time. All country (and... part of the world) now knows about this, it must be a huge shame for her. It would be impossible for me to just forgive and give a second chance.
We will see what Oogame does, I hope! And we will have to accept it whatever it is :_)
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy. With another woman to then say you were married all this time? Horrible way to announce you're married.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
chrysanths wrote:
He is apologizing for both marrying secretly AND cheating on his wife with a prostitute. Well, according to the article title, but I don’t see mention of it anywhere else in English articles.

VOICE ACTOR OKAMOTO NOBUHIKO, ADMITS TO PROSTITUTION

Japanese to Korean to English translation. A bit more relevant to the Korean anime world given he will - or was slated to, depending on how this situation unravels - voice Khun/Koon from Tower of God.

Neither the Bunshun article nor Nobuhiko Okamoto's blog post mentions prostitution.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
Everyone's overreacting to this--it's not like he was smoking marijuana or something! Now *that* would be something to burn him at the stake for!

Jokes aside, he could probably come out of this better if his wife did divorce him; he'd be confirmed single again (something a great many female fans [and possibly many male ones] would be happy for) and he'd get the pity factor for being dumped, even though he's clearly 100% in the wrong here (that misogyny hits different, especially for male VAs).
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
>Married voice actor apologizes

Oh, here we go again, he's not even an idol. Really now, who figured this was necessary-

>for a clandestine meeting in a hotel with a woman who's not his wife.

Well, that's an unexpected headline. So much for Yan Qing's loyalty lmao.

He's not an idol, for sure, but voice actors have generally been marketed as idols for the past 10 years or so ever since the idol "sengoku period" beginning in the late 2000s. They release music, they hold fan meetings, they hold concerts, they even have photobooks. To say that they're "just a voice actor" is pretty much no longer applicable. I guess they were marketed this way because of the overlap in anime and idol fans.

I don't think this incident will get as much coverage as Masahiro Higashide's cheating scandal earlier in the year but it still leaves a bad taste.

Edit: Bunshun's article outright calls Nobuhiko Okamoto an "idol voice actor" so yes, he is an idol... sort of.
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Oh boy. With another woman to then say you were married all this time? Horrible way to announce you're married.

I agree that this is horrible way to announce that you are married.
Melicans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Feel really bad for Asuka Ogame. I know not many people know her work, but I've been a big fan since she voiced Erio... She must be absolutely devastated, and I hope she follows the path she feels is right for her (and not the one she feels society may pressure her into).

People may portray it as "just" cheating, it is unfortunately quite common after all, but it is nonetheless a really horrible thing to do and absolutely awful to have happen to you. She has my support, whatever she chooses to do.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:
We didn't even know he was married and we found out because he already cheated on her lol. Poor wife.

Yeah, that's just... you gotta wonder how she's feeling. her marriage was revealed because her husband was caught cheating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2