• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga's 'Thousand Year Blood War Arc' Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZetMoon80

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Pierrot's adaptation was amazing if you discount the crazy amount of flashbacks and recaps + the clearly non-canon filler arcs in-between canon content (which basically means they didn't fudge with the story whatsoever with the sole exception of adding some minor scenes with characters from the Bount arc here and there on canon ones).

Fans dealt with that just fine with a Kai project some years ago using video editing, and so could Pierrot if they really wanted to, and the experience would be as nice of an adaptation as you would likely get, overall.

Considering the anime staff in the livestream just now, they are going to be the same people, and that gets my hopes up now that they don't have to worry about filler and padding shenanigans.

But again, the ending was axed, I hope they fix it expanding it the way it was intended to be. Kubo is very close to them production-wise anyway, I bet it wouldn't be a problem unless episode limit issues.

Wow, a Bleach Kai version would be great, but pretty unlikely something like that will be officially released in the near future. I hope they adapt the novels, I haven't read them but supposedly they explain what happened with Urahara, Yoruichi and the others after the battle. I could forgive all the plotholes, rushed pacing and bad plot devices, but how could Kubo give that ambiguous ending to Urahara in the manga? I mean he is a cool character and one of my favorites! I hope the anime fixes its tons of unresolved stuff, specially that one.
Popstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, congrats ANN. You're only....three days late.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Popstone wrote:
Wow, congrats ANN. You're only....three days late.

ANN doesn't report leaks last I checked
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
The only way this works is if there's a LOT of expansion and rewrites because that last arc was a mess with a lot of "Huh?" plot developments.
MoonStar9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
I was an spoiler[IchiRuki] fan all through my childhood up to the climax of the manga but I'd already been broken down over the years by various other sunken ships of mine in other series so the spoiler[IchiHime] ending didn't bother me. Especially since I'd already dropped Bleach in its last arc, I hated it that much. I did, however, come back to check the last few chapters as the ending had pissed a whole lot of people on the internet off when it happened. The climactic fight of the series was bad, put plainly, and a good portion of Bleach's female followers put up with years of high-testosterone shonen brawling just for spoiler[Rukia and Ichigo] so I can understand the bitter feeling. Especially since the last arc wasn't particularly well written, pairings aside. This is true for Japanese readers too as the final Bleach volume ended up with a cumulative 1-star rating on Amazon.co.jp, amassing a lot of angry reviews.

The final volume didn't sell well either and Bleach faded into obscurity soon thereafter, which is why I was certain the anime would never return. Kubo lost his massive readership with the defeat of Aizen and then burned the bridges of many hardcore fans with his handling of the last arc and pairings. I had huge issues with the Thousand Year Blood War arc. It started off strong but Kubo hadn't developed any of his characters nor employed any world building over the decade+ -long run of his manga and then tried to do both during the final arc for every character he could, while at the same time introducing new enemies and a whole new world. Each fight would be interrupted with flashbacks and expositions explaining characters' personalities, backgrounds, and intentions, their weapons, ranks, abilities, and peer relations. Its easy to see why Kubo got so burned out towards the end. It was jarring to read and I bet even more jarring to produce.

Still, one thing I always noticed Kubo kept consistent even after the time skip was spoiler[Orihime's feelings for Ichigo]. He's not a terribly talented writer so the fact that he always referred back to that told me it was always on his mind and he wanted to do something with it. When the ending pairings happened I thought to myself "oh, that's why". I was totally blindsided by the spoiler[RenRuki] ending though. Was that their relationship this whole time? In retrospect, Kubo did seem to like spoiler[Renji] quite a bit. He was one of the few secondary characters who consistently got fights, he was always on colour pages with the main gang, and he even got himself a whole new spoiler[Bankai] which looked awesome. We went the whole series without ever even seeing Yoruichi's Zanpaktou, mind you!

I'll watch the anime. I can only think its return hints at a new manga project by Kubo which the anime will help to promote via connection to its author. Hopefully the cast, both Japanese and English, return. Hopefully its handled much, much better than it was in the manga. And hopefully fans enjoy it as a satisfactory send off for Bleach.
sol20

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
So is this going to be a 1-cour showing like most shows nowadays (12- 13 episodes) or is it going to have the same system it had previously?

Which is to keep going, add filler and hopefully end it at some point in the future. With an additional amount of filler on the safe side.

Whatever happened to D.Gray man? Confused
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I wonder why shippers have such a bad reputation.

Then I remember the whole shitstorm when Bleach ended of people publicly burning their own manga volumes (real statement there am I right? Laughing) & death threats being sent to Kubo all becausespoiler[ IchiRuki] didn't become a thing.

And thus I am reminded why the common response to any serious mention of shipping is to roll one's eyes.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Sometimes I wonder why shippers have such a bad reputation.

Then I remember the whole shitstorm when Bleach ended of people publicly burning their own manga volumes (real statement there am I right? Laughing) & death threats being sent to Kubo all because IchiRuki didn't become a thing.

And thus I am reminded why the common response to any serious mention of shipping is to roll one's eyes.

Shipping ruins most of the shounen series' fandoms overall.

People weren't upset about the entire spoiler[Black Zetsu] plot thing in Naruto, but oh no, timeskip without muh shippings? Unforgivable!!

Worst example at the moment is likely My Hero Academia, since the fandom is so entitled and tumblr-centered, so you can already guess that if any shipping goes anywhere, there's a shit storm and people being aggressive towards the authoron twitter, especially if it doesn't favor their LGBT headcanons.
Tind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 am Reply with quote
Yesss!!!
I hope they allow Kubo to edit the story and use this as an opportunity to close his vision as he originally wanted without the rushing of the publisher.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:17 am Reply with quote
While it's good that "Bleach" is getting it's last arc animated,I just have one question. I noticed in the video that there's something called "Burn The Witch." What's that? I'd really like to know what that is because I have no idea what that is.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:14 am Reply with quote
That's it folks. The industry is officially out of ideas.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
I hope they make it so the story follows what the author originally intended instead of the rushed climax that it was cause of AXED.

FOR EXAMPLE, SHOW EVERYONES BANKAI!

I was furious when we didn't get to Urahara Bankai or Aizen's bankai or THE ENTIRE ZERO SQUAD BANKAI for example. Also have Espada 3 return instead of just teasing her and then doing nothing with it. For the love of god do justice to Ichigo's true bankai instead of making it seem like the most garbage thing ever.

If they are just adapting it word for word and page for page then this anime is going to be garbage
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
catandmouse wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Oh crap. It's going to be as big a mess as the manga was. Plus, I was never sold on IchiHime as it was... I'm skipping it for the sake of my sanity.

Everybody was hating on Bleach for the haphazard pacing and all the lose plot points, but to me what ruined the whole thing was that stupid end pairing.
Why did it even need to end on that note? Not everyone has to get married an shave kids and to me that damn pairing came out of nowhere.
It’s cool that they’re completing the anime, but I won’t go through that heartbreak again.
When I first read the final chapter it ruined my whole day. It really did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Of all the problems with Bleach's ending, the pairings were far and away NOT one of them.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:07 am Reply with quote
It's just a matter of how glued on they were. I mean, the biggest problem with that arc was how badly written it was, and how OP the main villain was. I griped about the pairings because I, for one, would've liked to see everyone being on their own, and not married. Plus, going by calculations, Ichigo and Orihime spoiler[would've married after high school and then had a kid while in their early 20s?]. That's just too much. That was clearly pulled out of Kubo's backside.

But as it is, my main gripe was how OP Yhwach was. Seriously, Kubo wrote himself into a corner here.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
So eternally running anime like Naruto & One Piece have lengths of inconsistent quality....... Okay your point? Even then Bleach actually looked fine for the most part, the main problem was the large stretches of filler that occurred inbetween arcs.

Also here.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-11-01/tv-tokyo-animation-division-reports-increase-in-profits-in-1st-half-of-fiscal-year-2019/.152840

Last year Tv Tokyo the channel that airs Bleach notes that it is still among its top 5 selling franchises despite the show being over for nearly a decade now.

That's not from airing in Japan that's global revenue from all sources which makes sense since paying for a Bleach streaming licence would be in high demand since even if it was already licensed a renewal would see a sharp increase in price with all the new competition.

Though interesting that it's top 5 in revenue but not profit. I guess it's got a better sharing deal with the creator and assistant production anime studios.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7