• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga's 'Thousand Year Blood War Arc' Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:08 am Reply with quote
If the producers would allow Kubo sensei to change the story to his original vision, then the people who were disappointed in the manga would have a reason to watch/buy the BD.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
Eh i'll probably watch it but imo after the end of the aizen arc is where the series really went downhill fast.

but then i've never been a fan of depowering a protagonist...

Also i'm a bit skeptical they will even adapt the whole thing, 20 volumes is a lot of material and bleach was getting poor ratings near the end.
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Oh crap. It's going to be as big a mess as the manga was. Plus, I was never sold on IchiHime as it was... I'm skipping it for the sake of my sanity.

That's a bit presumptuous when its only just been announced though isn't it? If it ends up being a literal adaptation then you might have a point but I'd prefer to see it firstly before judging how they plan to adapt it.

I wondered if they would have made 2-3 feature-length films based around the final arc but if its going to be a TV adaptation and they've announced it now (i.e its already been in the planning stages for a while) hopefully they do a really good job with it and don't have major issues with the pacing, fleshing out characters when required, animating the battles well, etc.
Tind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
Oh crap. It's going to be as big a mess as the manga was. Plus, I was never sold on IchiHime as it was... I'm skipping it for the sake of my sanity.

That's a bit presumptuous when its only just been announced though isn't it? If it ends up being a literal adaptation then you might have a point but I'd prefer to see it firstly before judging how they plan to adapt it.

I wondered if they would have made 2-3 feature-length films based around the final arc but if its going to be a TV adaptation and they've announced it now (i.e its already been in the planning stages for a while) hopefully they do a really good job with it and don't have major issues with the pacing, fleshing out characters when required, animating the battles well, etc.

It is impossible to adapt all that material into 2-3 movies, unless they do the same garbage as they did with Sora no Otoshimono: a rushed garbage where they left out 70% os the material.
This is their chance to get some really high sales with a "fixed" story where Kubo tells the story as he originally wanted, however if they just release 2-3 movies with a small part of rushed material from the manga, then even the remaining Bleach fans will spit on them.
lucio542

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
F*CKING FINNALY.
8 years.....i almost lose hope.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
Tind wrote:
Honeyman wrote:

It is impossible to adapt all that material into 2-3 movies, unless they do the same garbage as they did with Sora no Otoshimono: a rushed garbage where they left out 70% os the material.
This is their chance to get some really high sales with a "fixed" story where Kubo tells the story as he originally wanted, however if they just release 2-3 movies with a small part of rushed material from the manga, then even the remaining Bleach fans will spit on them.

there's over 200 chapters left to adapt, this will need a least 4 cours at minimum, and that's if they really rush through it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
Just a caution, people: be sure to use appropriate spoiler tags concerning the manga version. Do NOT assume that anyone reading this thread has read all of the manga, as there are likely many anime-only viewers who are going to check out this thread.

As someone who was never a big fan of the franchise but has seen all its animated content + the live-action movie, I am quite surprised that this is happening. Bleach's TV ratings were sagging badly towards the end of it run, and that's usually a bad sign for any chance of follow-up animation. Maybe the LA movie was successful enough to re-stimulate interest in Japan?

Whatever happens with the length of it, I agree with another poster that I'll be happy if Shiro Sagisu is back to do the music, which I always thought was the series' strongest production aspect.

As for dubbing this new series, we'll see. I expect a relatively quick turn-around on the English dub, as this is a big-name title, but mixed signals have been sent about possible casting. The LA movie's dub had Johnny back as Ichigo but not most of the others. Michelle Ruff has made it clear that she'd be eager to dub Rukia again, and most of the other key players are still in the industry, so it may come down to whether or not Netflix gets its hands on this. (And given that they had the LA movie, I don't think that can be ruled out.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Honeyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
sol20 wrote:
So is this going to be a 1-cour showing like most shows nowadays (12- 13 episodes) or is it going to have the same system it had previously?

Which is to keep going, add filler and hopefully end it at some point in the future. With an additional amount of filler on the safe side.

Whatever happened to D.Gray man? Confused

The final arc is nearly 20 volumes long. Unless they want to cover it in the style of the 7 Seeds anime (I wasn't aware that was trying to cover the entirely of the manga until I checked later) they'd do well to allow the production team the right amount of episodes to cover it (a year's worth of episodes or thereabouts would be appropriate).

I lament that Katsura Hoshino never got to finish D.Gray-man. An interesting setting with great characters and a compelling overarching story that never got to reach its conclusion. Does anyone know what she's doing nowadays or is she just living a quite life off of royalties from her most popular series?
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Honeyman wrote:
sol20 wrote:
So is this going to be a 1-cour showing like most shows nowadays (12- 13 episodes) or is it going to have the same system it had previously?

Which is to keep going, add filler and hopefully end it at some point in the future. With an additional amount of filler on the safe side.

Whatever happened to D.Gray man? Confused

I lament that Katsura Hoshino never got to finish D.Gray-man. An interesting setting with great characters and a compelling overarching story that never got to reach its conclusion. Does anyone know what she's doing nowadays or is she just living a quite life off of royalties from her most popular series?

Um, I guess you didn't get the memo...but D.Gray-Man hasn't been on hiatus for awhile. The latest chapter literally came out last month, and the latest volume came out in America this month.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I have such a weird relationship with Bleach, as I genuinely thoroughly enjoyed its opening arcs when it was airing on [as] back in the early days of my anime fandom. The introductory Karakura episodes had a cool vibe (I still wish they'd lasted longer), and I'd rank the Soul Society Rescue arc as one of the best in shounen history, with a fun twist ending. Of course then the anime went into filler, but even when the canon returned, it already felt like the quality had lapsed. Kubo started dumping large numbers of recurring characters and then proceeding to not do anything with them (to be fair there were shades of that in the Soul Society arc already), and then the Hueco Mundo arc wound up being a direct retread of the Soul Society arc, only much worse (and in the end utterly pointless). The final fight with Aizen was a total mess of narrative asspulls, with an immensely unsatisfying payoff, and by that point I'd had enough of Kubo's storytelling. I carried on with the anime through most of the ensuing filler for the hell of it, but I never actually finished off the final post-timeskip canon arc. Every single thing I've heard or read about the final arc and climax makes it sound like a supreme cluster****, so I guess I can look forward to witnessing the trainwreck firsthand.

Honestly I always felt a bit sorry for Noriyuki Abe and his anime staff. Given how sparse Kubo's average chapters were on actual narrative progression, they were constantly butting up against the manga and had to scramble to insert filler in inconvenient places. Bleach remains the only shounen adaptation I've seen to feature whole arcs that were not only non-canon to the manga, but to the anime itself too. The shame of it is that I think I enjoyed a few of the filler arcs more than the canon material surrounding them. The bit with the personified zanpakuto was kind of fun. Fortunately they won't have to deal with the issue this time around, and hopefully they can do something to correct some of the source material's missteps.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing though, the whole thing with My Hero Academia and nationalism had absolutely nothing to do with shippings.

And could we please stop blaming the awful writings and the awful endings to shippers? The crazy parts of the fandom will always exist, but that doesn't cancel the fact that the creators did a very bad job. The shippings just usually happen in the endings and the displeasure culminates and explodes there. Bleach had turned sour way before its awful ending, which somehow managed to be even worse than expected. There are tons of other works out there which deserved to get a studio to work on them and to be shared other than this relic which only sells because of a very small portion of its fans, most of whom stay fans more due to arrogance for what it means to be a "faithful" fan rather than actual enjoyment.

The fact that it did get another anime adaptation is just the studio betting on some sure money than risking a hit or miss with a non famous series. Nothing more or less than that.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:10 pm Reply with quote
MoonStar9 wrote:
Kubo lost his massive readership with the defeat of Aizen and then burned the bridges of many hardcore fans with his handling of the last arc and pairings. I had huge issues with the Thousand Year Blood War arc. It started off strong but Kubo hadn't developed any of his characters nor employed any world building over the decade+ -long run of his manga and then tried to do both during the final arc for every character he could, while at the same time introducing new enemies and a whole new world. Each fight would be interrupted with flashbacks and expositions explaining characters' personalities, backgrounds, and intentions, their weapons, ranks, abilities, and peer relations. Its easy to see why Kubo got so burned out towards the end. It was jarring to read and I bet even more jarring to produce.

This was the Bleach formula after the initial Soul Society arc, and why the series got consistently worse as it progressed. I’m thankful that Aizen’s defeat gave me and many other readers/viewers a very clean jumping off point.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:13 pm Reply with quote
*Golf Clap*

I am surprised not angry. I don’t think I have egg on my face. The evidence was leaning heavily against this happening. Saying so is not wrong. Nor is saying that this is the worst arc plot and art wise is a widely shared opinion. Jump editors must have their own reasoning. Plenty of other series that sold well only to fall off at the end haven’t been so lucky.

TranceLimit174 wrote:
This was the Bleach formula after the initial Soul Society arc, and why the series got consistently worse as it progressed. I’m thankful that Aizen’s defeat gave me and many other readers/viewers a very clean jumping off point.

Many of us also came for the art and that was just being phoned in by the end of Arrancar. If health was a concern, he should have gone monthly.

Last edited by dragon695 on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I have such a weird relationship with Bleach, as I genuinely thoroughly enjoyed its opening arcs when it was airing on [as] back in the early days of my anime fandom. The introductory Karakura episodes had a cool vibe (I still wish they'd lasted longer), and I'd rank the Soul Society Rescue arc as one of the best in shounen history, with a fun twist ending. Of course then the anime went into filler, but even when the canon returned, it already felt like the quality had lapsed. Kubo started dumping large numbers of recurring characters and then proceeding to not do anything with them (to be fair there were shades of that in the Soul Society arc already), and then the Hueco Mundo arc wound up being a direct retread of the Soul Society arc, only much worse (and in the end utterly pointless). The final fight with Aizen was a total mess of narrative asspulls, with an immensely unsatisfying payoff, and by that point I'd had enough of Kubo's storytelling.

I doubt this kind of relationship with the series is all that weird, as your experience mostly mirrors mine. I don't have quite as negative an opinion of the climactic battles against Aizen, but I agree that the Soul Society arc (in particular its final 10 or so episodes) is the series' strongest arc and that the series only occasionally peaked that high again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Locking thread for clean up.

Done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7