• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach Manga's 'Thousand Year Blood War Arc' Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
LuluTheOtaku wrote:

The only thing I’d advise fans of, is try not to get too cocky about this. Bleach fans got shit for years and now that we get a win,

It only counts as a win if the anime actually finishes up better than the manga did. If it doesn't well hope you got a nice pair of waders and a gas mask.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes!!! So happy that this is a continuing adaption instead of something else as I was slightly fearing. They should be able to get through it with no filler since it's already done, so I guess my only hopes for now is that they manage to get a decent studio and the original dub cast. Oh and also Shiro Sagisu back as composer would be amazing.
rikku45

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Great news, been wanting this for years !!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Keep to the topic please.

Also, @ danpmss, to quote the forum rules, "The moderators and staff reserve the right to remove anyone actively creating an unwelcome environment at their own discretion." Please refrain from referring to segments of the anime fandom in disparaging terms. Those people are also users of these forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rowzy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Kubo is involved in the production of the anime so that he can fix the problems of the Final Arc and while the issue about Shueisha rushing Kubo has been debunked in the livestream, Kubo technically admitted that he sort of rushed the conclusion of Bleach in a radio interview (though im pretty sure it happened because of his health) hopefully he'll “fix” some problems in the last arc (especially spoiler[the final fight against Yhwach which is very anticlimactic] Overall tho I liked TYBW but there's no denying that it had problems. And even if tho this will most likely not possible since Kubo is going to be busy with Burn The Witch I'll still support Bleach as a fan forever. #ImStillBleach
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
Yes!!! So happy that this is a continuing adaption instead of something else as I was slightly fearing. They should be able to get through it with no filler since it's already done, so I guess my only hopes for now is that they manage to get a decent studio and the original dub cast. Oh and also Shiro Sagisu back as composer would be amazing.

I personally wouldn't mind a remake from scratch like HxH (2011) or maybe a Bleach Kai edit of a sort from Pierrot (like, hour long edited non-filler episodes covering the story up to the latest anime arc, before finally exhibiting the final one). I say that because the Pierrot adaptation for most of Bleach despite the filler, recaps and flashback (padding in general), was quite a commendable quality adaptation.

But I think that's asking too much and I'm way more than happy to even have this arc animated at all, to be honest. <3
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
Very happy for Bleach fans. I used to watch it on Toonami, but never picked up the manga. I honestly stopped caring about it after the arc they saved Rukia I think, but I did watch the anime to the end. I won’t be watching this new one, but happy for those who’ve wanted this!
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
I personally wouldn't mind a remake from scratch like HxH (2011) or maybe a Bleach Kai edit of a sort from Pierrot (like, hour long edited non-filler episodes covering the story up to the latest anime arc, before finally exhibiting the final one). I say that because the Pierrot adaptation for most of Bleach despite the filler, recaps and flashback (padding in general), was quite a commendable quality adaptation.

If they did a DB Kai type rerun of Bleach - one that cut out all of the filler arcs and irrelevant humor episodes and just stuck to the main plot - then I'd probably watch it. Might be nice to see the whole story together without interruptions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Slim Reaper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
Bleach and Fairy Tail, one and the same. Both beloved shonen manga with questionable endings. Both getting their final arcs adapted after years of dormancy. The return of Bleach fills me with hype, but honestly I'm probably going to treat it the same way I treated the final season of the Fairy Tail anime.
Rowzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:03 am Reply with quote
Slim Reaper wrote:
Bleach and Fairy Tail, one and the same. Both beloved shonen manga with questionable endings. Both getting their final arcs adapted after years of dormancy. The return of Bleach fills me with hype, but honestly I'm probably going to treat it the same way I treated the final season of the Fairy Tail anime.
the difference is that the Bleach community never faltered, Fairy Tail did.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:22 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
SnowyLightning44 wrote:

But I think that's asking too much and I'm way more than happy to even have this arc animated at all, to be honest. <3

To be honest I was more talking about something like a movie/original story but know I think about it a DB Kai-esque complete would've been neat, especially with today's animation quality
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
Yes!!! I knew if we kept the faith we'd get it eventually, I can't wait to see how it looks and sounds. I'd definitely want the same cast back both in Japan and for the English speaking actors. I've missed watching this, it would be really neat if Kubo tweaks the story to how he truly wanted it to be but even if that doesn't happen I'm still going to enjoy it.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
Rowzy wrote:
Slim Reaper wrote:
the difference is that the Bleach community never faltered, Fairy Tail did.

Bleach community did faltered just like Fairy Tail, I was part of the group who fall out of love for Bleach (it was around the Fullbringer arc).
Man, I remember when the Thousand Year Blood War Arc first started. I so excited, my favorite character Uryu was going to get an arc focus on him and we get to see more of his father and his backstory. Then 20 volumes later, Bleach falls from my top favorite Manga. I hope the anime fix this arc since the arc was a mess (the flashback with Ichigo's mom was good)
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Of course then the anime went into filler, but even when the canon returned, it already felt like the quality had lapsed. Kubo started dumping large numbers of recurring characters and then proceeding to not do anything with them (to be fair there were shades of that in the Soul Society arc already), and then the Hueco Mundo arc wound up being a direct retread of the Soul Society arc, only much worse (and in the end utterly pointless).

Curious about the bolded. I see people make the comparisons between the two arcs all the time, and personally I think it's a rather silly criticism. That said, I've never seen anyone call an entire arc of the series pointless before, so I'm wondering why do you say that?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The problem with a Dragon Ball Kai-type edit for BLEACH is the first 60 episodes are pretty damn tight. There's very little cutting to do. That type of thing would really help the Arrancar arc, though, which is filled with five-minute recaps of the episode you just watched.

The TYBW arc would fit almost like a glove to 60 episodes. Maybe some fights could be breezed through even quicker than that. I wasn't crazy about spoiler[Kenpachi VS Gremmy] but there's no way they're going to shortchange the story payoffs of it. Ichigo spends a lot of time spoiler[trapped in a warp vortex] that could be sped up. In the interest of expanding things that maybe went by too fast, I could see a whole flashback episode covering spoiler[Sasakibe's death].

If anyone is interested in a mostly unpadded run of the first series, I break it down as such:
Substitute arc: Episodes 1-20 (20)
Soul Society arc: Episodes 21-32, 34-49, 51-63 (41)
Arrancar arc: 110-127, 138-146, 150-167, 190-203, 206-212, 215-227, 267-283, 285-286, 288-297, 300-302, 306-310, 342 (117)
Fullbring arc: 343-354, 356-366 (23)
Total: (201)

The big, unavoidable thing with this list is the inclusion of Bount characters mixed in with the source material. Shouldn't be too confusing, though. Also, Episode 109 is half-canon, half-Bount arc finale. I didn't include it because the canon stuff is flashbacks, and perhaps you, the viewer, won't think sitting through Bount stuff is worth it. If you're interested, you can read Chapter 0, which is here from Viz. (they don't seem to be included in the Jump vault, unfortunately)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7