Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?' Anime Season III's Video Reveals Opening S


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4063
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
aaaaaah yes. the xenos arc. the arc that might mark the end of the fan shipping of bell and ais which becoming more and more likely now especially after the future arcs that took place between bell & lyu spoiler[ where they nearly had sex but lyu stopped them before things go too far]

no way in hell that near miss can be kept a sceret forever! especially on how close lyu is towards syr!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16067
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:37 am Reply with quote
For those who haven't read the novels, this whole next season should be a single story arc covering volumes 9-11. It's the main series' most extensive arc and also the most consequential in terms of the setting's big picture. I'd also say it's one of the franchise's better ones.

And this is coming in the summer season? Now I'll have two high-priority titles for that season (with Re:Zero's return being delayed until then).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soulwarfare



Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
People consider season 2 kind of a mess. Honestly, I was fine with season 2 with my only issue being the last couple of episodes covering volume 8 for no reason and skipping a majority of it.

Season 3 however will cover volume 9-11 most likely which is the Xenos arc. This should be fine compared to the previous season. 4 episodes per volume, simple. Can't wait for season 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1347
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
I dont really care for the anime (vastly prefer the novels), but i am glad that DanMachi is still getting more traction. The Xenos arc is probably the best arc in the series so far to be honest spoiler[even if the ending was a little blah.] This should be good.

Quote:
aaaaaah yes. the xenos arc. the arc that might mark the end of the fan shipping of bell and ais which becoming more and more likely now especially after the future arcs that took place between bell & lyu


I doubt that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 674
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
I cannot wait to see the fated rematch but at this point I think they should consider doing Sword Oratoria season 2 after this. While there is enough content for a 4th season I think world building and expanding the lore would be better and Sword Oratoria is ideal for that if its done right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Punch Drunk Marc



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 1347
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I cannot wait to see the fated rematch but at this point I think they should consider doing Sword Oratoria season 2 after this. While there is enough content for a 4th season I think world building and expanding the lore would be better and Sword Oratoria is ideal for that if its done right.


Wasnt the Sword Oratoria anime panned by most people? I know it cut a lot of stuff out from the novels, most egregiously for me the fight on the 60th floor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostD



Joined: 07 May 2016
Posts: 674
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
GhostD wrote:
I cannot wait to see the fated rematch but at this point I think they should consider doing Sword Oratoria season 2 after this. While there is enough content for a 4th season I think world building and expanding the lore would be better and Sword Oratoria is ideal for that if its done right.


Wasnt the Sword Oratoria anime panned by most people? I know it cut a lot of stuff out from the novels, most egregiously for me the fight on the 60th floor.


Yes it was and thats why I said "if its done right"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1542
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For those who haven't read the novels, this whole next season should be a single story arc covering volumes 9-11. It's the main series' most extensive arc and also the most consequential in terms of the setting's big picture. I'd also say it's one of the franchise's better ones.


A whole season for one arc sounds great, especially with it being 3 volumes it should fit in fine to 12 eps.

Hopefully we next hear about a 2nd Sword Oratoria season and then a 4th season =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dragon695



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 1338
Location: Clemson, SC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
S2 left a sour taste in my mouth because:

1) Apollo the mustache twirling, predatory gay villain who was obviously after Bell’s anal virginity.
2) Total cop out with Haruhime the prostitute who actually really wasn’t a prostitute after all and is still a virgin!! because reasons. Like the series spent 20 minutes of melodramatic dialogue explaining how Bell accepted her for not being a virgin. Kind of felt like shameless pandering to otaku purity.

The only saving grace was the final arc, which saved the season for me. I hope s3 is better, because the story is good even with flaws.

GhostD wrote:
I cannot wait to see the fated rematch but at this point I think they should consider doing Sword Oratoria season 2 after this. While there is enough content for a 4th season I think world building and expanding the lore would be better and Sword Oratoria is ideal for that if its done right.


Sword Oratoria is superior in my opinion because the familia has more diverse and interesting cast of characters who spend more time in the titular dungeon. I get that it is spelled out on DanMachi’s tin what it is about, but still Bell’s familia just feels like a generic harem by the end of S2. I’ll stand corrected if there are any other boys besides blacksmith bro who join them (unless I forgot, it’s been awhile).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2045
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
^ There aren't. Big Japanese Dude is with them for a lot of adventures as parts of Token Japanese Party, but he's accompanied by Shy Japanese Girl of the same party, so that evens out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16067
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
S2 left a sour taste in my mouth because:

1) Apollo the mustache twirling, predatory gay villain who was obviously after Bell’s anal virginity.
2) Total cop out with Haruhime the prostitute who actually really wasn’t a prostitute after all and is still a virgin!! because reasons. Like the series spent 20 minutes of melodramatic dialogue explaining how Bell accepted her for not being a virgin. Kind of felt like shameless pandering to otaku purity.

The only saving grace was the final arc, which saved the season for me. I hope s3 is better, because the story is good even with flaws.

To make sure we're clear here, all of the criticisms here rest on the source material, which the anime was almost completely faithful to. (The production may have played Apollo up just a little as a leering villain, but only a little.)

I think most novel readers would probably agree that novels 6 and 7 - which were the sources for most of s2 - are the low point of the main series. Not necessarily bad, and definitely crucial for moving the overall story along, but also definitely not the series at its best. The next arc is much stronger in a storytelling sense and has more potential to have some action sequences on a level with those seen in the first season.

Quote:
Sword Oratoria is superior in my opinion because the familia has more diverse and interesting cast of characters who spend more time in the titular dungeon. I get that it is spelled out on DanMachi’s tin what it is about, but still Bell’s familia just feels like a generic harem by the end of S2. I’ll stand corrected if there are any other boys besides blacksmith bro who join them (unless I forgot, it’s been awhile).

Sorry to disappoint, but it's always going to be Bell's harem. The only other guy is in love with someone else (and it shouldn't be hard to figure out who if you've been paying close attention). Mikoto technically isn't part of his harem, as she's also in love with someone else, but still.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer



Joined: 11 Feb 2017
Posts: 741
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
S2 left a sour taste in my mouth because:

1) Apollo the mustache twirling, predatory gay villain who was obviously after Bell’s anal virginity.


You're wrong there friend, Apollo is not homosexual,he's bisexual(if not omisexual).
Keep in mind the author knows their classic Greek mythology.

Your second point,I'll just say it plays out far less hamfisted in the novel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2045
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I think most novel readers would probably agree that novels 6 and 7 - which were the sources for most of s2 - are the low point of the main series


Absolutely not
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 16067
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Key wrote:
I think most novel readers would probably agree that novels 6 and 7 - which were the sources for most of s2 - are the low point of the main series


Absolutely not

Really? Then what would you say is the low point? While I've never heard of those novels being trashed, I've seen less acclaim for them (especially novel 6) than others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2045
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
8. If you don't count the short stories volumes (I thought 4 was decent), then 5. I can say I didn't like 14 too, but I know I'm an outlier on that one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group