• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masashi Kishimoto, Akira Ōkubo's Samurai 8 Manga Ends

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Sadly, I think s8 would have worked better as a tie in to the Naruto universe (Perhaps years in the future). I suspect, aside from glaring flaws in the early narrative, some fans of Naruto were expecting a Naruto retread and responded accordingly when it was obvious S8 was not going there.

Eh, I don't think people were disappointed because they wanted more Naruto and didn't get it. The main complaints I've seen from Sam 8 (and that I mostly agree with) were that the setting and powers were too convoluted, the writing for most of the characters was flat and lacked any really endearing traits to make you root for them, and the art could make the action difficult to follow a lot of the time. those are bone-deep problems that wouldn't have been fixed from just saying Hachimaru was Naruto's great-great-great-grandson or whatever.

I don’t disagree with the list of the flaws. I would argue, however, that most (if not all) of those issues exist, to a certain extent, in Boruto (at least from what I read it). I wouldn’t underestimate fan nostalgia for iconic series, though. It’s not just a western phenomenon. I think that is why Kubo is tying into Bleach with his new series. It is the safer bet—even if Bleach nosedived at the end, there is a built in base of fans who are willing to endure for a lot longer if it feeds nostalgia.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
Ensaru64 wrote:
Had Kishimoto trusted his audience more and had us learn about the world through the characters and not have a constant exposition dump every few panels, this manga would've been something else. I lost interest in the series pretty quickly the more stuff was being explained.

I still think its setting is very interesting. I just wished Kishimoto learned from similar titles like this: Dorohedoro and One Piece, for example. It's a sci-fi adventure series! Let us in on the adventure!

This must really suck for him, considering he spent a lot of time on research for this title.

I think Kishi have a misconception of what Sci-fi mean base on his interview about S8. The genre mean more just looking futuristic and set in space with spaceship. it about the exploration of worlds and possible consequence of technology. Heck he could have tone down the exposition by just not using made up terminology and use words most people can understand from first read.
SpiritBomb1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 am Reply with quote
So was this gonna be like samurai 7 maybe a 26 episode anime???
Flü

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote
Good riddance. Making room for better series in the magazine.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
SpiritBomb1991 wrote:
So was this gonna be like samurai 7 maybe a 26 episode anime???

All it would need is 12 episodes.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:17 am Reply with quote
I think I knew we were in trouble when Daruma turned out to be obsessed with money. That was a hilarious trait but we didn’t see it for dozens of chapters into the story and we never saw it again. The characters were just too flat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2