• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Lupin III THE FIRST CG Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I knew this would get licensed eventually.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Looks so good.
Hope they can do what Discotek's been doing and get the dub cast.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Looks so good.

Well GKids mostly does Hollywood English Dub actors with regular Anime voice actors on side characters or like on the Directing/Script Writing side. But since Lupin already has English Dub Actors, they can use anyone of them that is available. Of course I hope it’s Tony Oliver.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Looks so good.

Well GKids mostly does Hollywood English Dub actors with regular Anime voice actors on side characters or like on the Directing/Script Writing side. But since Lupin already has English Dub Actors, they can use anyone of them that is available. Of course I hope it’s Tony Oliver.

Yeah.

And actually normally it's pretty cool getting the rare opportunity hearing the different voices in their original movie dubs since they usually do that, but that's my hope as well since it's something with a great existing cast like Lupin.

Still remember how much of a pleasant surprise it was when we first learned that they actually got the cast back for Part IV.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Looks so good.

They have to ask him first (though its possible he will be back). Of course, other than voicing Lupin at whichever studio is doing Lupin the Third Part 4-5, Tony Oliver has been primarily doing his Anime voiceover work at Bang Zoom! Studios these days given that he also is one of the primary ADR Directors and writers at the studio.

So far the ONLY GKIDS licensed films dubbed at NYAV Post that utilized Hollywood actors were, Mirai, Weathering with You, and the redub of Tokyo Godfathers (which had Shakina Nayfack and Kate Bornstein), while the Studio Ghibli licensed films (Only Yesterday, The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, When Marnie was There) and Modest Heroes were done at Studiopolis.

Going by the recording Studios that GKIDS turns to (NYAV Post, Studiopolis) it seems likely that this film would be outsourced to NYAV Post given that it's one of the major recording studios that they utilized for their licensed films.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely prefer the Parts IV and VI English dub cast for this movie, if possible (though my initial viewing will likely be in Japanese, with subtitles). But if they use the dub cast of the Koike movies, that'll be fine, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought it will be on Netflix.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:46 am Reply with quote
DarkEXE wrote:
I thought it will be on Netflix.

Well thank goodness it isn't, Netflix Hell isn't much of a nice place, especially if you're a physical collector.
skyechan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Of course I hope it’s Tony Oliver.

Oh man, I hope so too. He's my favorite Lupin VA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1