• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nikkei Editorial Predicts Gloomy Times Ahead for Japanese Anime Industry as China Puts Foc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RubyRed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:46 am Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
ILOVEITToo wrote:
Most chinese anime are trash. So I hope they don't dominate in anime industry
I

Most isekai anime are trash but they dominate the anime industry.

Both sadly very true. And the god-awful Chinese censorship! Good god, imagine that being all we're going to get from anime after the next couple of years...
ILOVEITToo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
ILOVEITToo wrote:
Most chinese anime are trash. So I hope they don't dominate in anime industry
I

Most isekai anime are trash but they dominate the anime industry.

No. Most isekai anime (slime, Sheild Hero, overlord, Cautious Hero etc) are great and way more enjoyable that almost any Chinese anime

I tried to watch many chinese anime and almost all of them are boring and I dropped them after few episodes. Uncharted Walker (called Mi Yu Xing Zhe in chinese) is the only Chinese anime that I genuinely enjoyed.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
China is infamous for blocking many anime/manga. As such, doesn't that seem counter-intuitive to outsource how ever much of the animation process of [Japanese anime title] to Chinese animators?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
We need Steam for anime and Steam for manga, preferably both in one or two platforms with limited to no region restrictions.

Would anime viewers actually embrace a Steam-like model, though? They want every anime ever made on one site for no more than $10 a month, and any kind of per-episode/per-show payment model in a Steam-like system would easily be considerably more expensive. Plus, download counts in the traditional BitTorrent/IRC/DDL piracy scene are way down. Nearly everyone's moved to streaming, legal or otherwise; hardly anyone even wants to download anime for free these days, so where's the market for paid downloads?

Lack of regional restrictions is a good thing in theory, until the moral authorities in some governments take issue with one title on the service and block the entire site. We've seen it happen before. Even in the Internet Age, borders still matter because different countries are still different. That's why we need more local companies that're actually in underserved areas and are more in tune with the regional economies, languages, fandom tastes/preferences, cultural standards, etc., rather than everyone expecting US-based companies like Crunchyroll and Funimation to cater to every last corner of the planet.

I've seen others call for "Steam for Anime" in the past. However, its appeal seems more based on attraction to Steam as an abstract concept (and perhaps from the pull of the Gabe Newell Industry-Blaming / Piracy-Excusing Cult of Personality), rather than it being a practical improvement over the existing system -- which in the US at least, provides legal access to 90% of airing anime and substantial back catalogues for $14 a month. If gamers treated Steam the way anime viewers reacted to anime services, it'd be, "What, I can't download and play any video game in history for a couple bucks a month? PIRATE EVERYTHING! Bad Service Wink"
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Lack of regional restrictions is a good thing in theory, until the moral authorities in some governments take issue with one title on the service and block the entire site. We've seen it happen before. Even in the Internet Age, borders still matter because different countries are still different. That's why we need more local companies that're actually in underserved areas and are more in tune with the regional economies, languages, fandom tastes/preferences, cultural standards, etc., rather than everyone expecting US-based companies like Crunchyroll and Funimation to cater to every last corner of the planet.

You forget that Netflix exists? Regional restrictions is bullcrap in this day and age. Netflix flourished despite the difference in regions. If there is a problem with certain government (i.e. the recent gay Jesus Netflix comedy show), Netflix can either just not listen or just remove that particular title from that country. I don't want to effing memorize a lot of local streaming services (w/ divvied-up titles) especially when travelling to other countries when Netflix can just be accessible anywhere with slight variation on available shows.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Plus, download counts in the traditional BitTorrent/IRC/DDL piracy scene are way down. Nearly everyone's moved to streaming, legal or otherwise; hardly anyone even wants to download anime for free these days, so where's the market for paid downloads?

Not saying you are wrong, but the IRC community seems to be going strong. But then looks can be deceiving.

I download paid anime from Amazon to my kindle, guess I am an outlier.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad this is happening! Studios are in the red? Well Publishers aren't, nor the other members of the committees, maybe if they start to give some of their huge margin profit to the Studios maybe they can start paying well to the animators, which are the only ones that I actually care about.
shukujo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

This right here is the massive, glaring issue. If the industry doesn't move away from the archaic, profit-hoarding production committee model and give animation studios a direct cut of profits, then it's going to wither up and die.

You copied the same passage from the article I did, and I agree completely. I'd like to add that the current system of evaluating which productions are successful based on DVD/BD sales, instead of on worldwide digital sales AND physical disk and original source work sales, is going to be the death of the Japanese anime I dustry. What has always worked in the past will not continue to be the best choice for any industry in an increasingly web-based world.

We all know that anime is basically the best advertising tool for manga & light novels one could hope for, but if the Production Committee model doesn't wise up to the fact that 1/2 the revenue in the world now comes from outside of Japan, where the sale of manga/LNs ISN'T a multi-billion dollar industry, it will only make it more and more difficult for them maintain any kind of revenue at all.

I was delighted when the Chinese animation industry began challenging the status quo in earnest a few years ago, and I'm happier every time another donghua comes out. This is for 2 reasons: the 1st is purely self-interested, I have quite an extensive watch history and had come up against that wall we all reach looking for new things to watch. The second is the other thing we all come up against, recognizing that the Japan anime industry is stagnating. what is needed in a stagnating market is competition, and donghua has provided exactly that.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
At some point the industry will have to be willing to pay the people who actually put in the majority of the work their fair share or they'll see those people go elsewhere or seat they industry implode. The way it works now is basically a racket where everyone agrees that they'll pay anyone BUT the animators because they all suffer once those folk realize what their true value is in the equation.

Greed1914 wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
I'm actually glad that this is happening. I'm aware that this might negatively affect the industry, but this might be one of the push Japan needs in order to forcibly pay their animators decent wages.

I was thinking the same thing. I could also see it contributing to a reduction in shows produced each season, even if it doesn't impact pay. That might not be the worst thing.

That would be pretty bad, especially if it didn't impact pay. It would just mean less people with a job. The only group that benefits is people forced to write anime reviews against their will or forced to watch literally every anime that sure against their will. I don't know if those people actually exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2