• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream New Sakura Wars, Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2, The Millionaire Detec

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 am Reply with quote
I guess I shouldn't blame FUNi for this but it really bugs me that Sega is kinda retconning their previous games by just calling the new entry "Sakura Wars" by itself in the west. We had a game here on PS2 & Wii by NISA along with most of the anime adaptations so it would come across confusing marketing-wise, especially since two of the anime adaptations are still in-print.

If Sega decides to port the older games then they would have to think of something new if they finally get localized (or re-localized in 5's case).

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Surprised Funi got Sakura Wars. I thought for sure Sentai would get it since ADV had the original license.

loveliver wrote:
I thought Funimation rescued the movie from Geneon, and formerly held the license for some of the OVAs.

Each adaptation had a different committee & licensor attached. The only reason Sentai still has the first TV series is because of their long time relationship with TBS Animation and it's also why they don't have the original two OVAs that ADV previously had because those were handled by another set of companies.

First TV series - TBS (source)
Movie - Production I.G. (source)

We probably won't find out who's involved with the new show's committee until the first episode is out (like usual) but the fact that it's not airing on TBS means they're not involved with this one.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
And, as an inmediate aftermath, people in Latin America stared to bash Funimation and Aniplex on Twitter because they will no longer put more anime on Crunchyroll.

Screw Funimation and Aniplex.

Same with Europe(except UK and Ireland, where Funimation is available)
Funimation and Aniplex HATES Europe(including the Baltics)
OddJobsKatsura wrote:
This is the end of Crunchyroll and legal anime streaming as we know it. Pirate life for me.

Apparently, Crunchyroll is becoming useless nowadays because of Funimation and Aniplex. Funimation should be make available worldwide instead in only English-speaking countries.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Though it's true that legal streaming as a system is disintegrating due to exclusivity, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. The first season of Kaguya was on both CR and Funimation ("FunimationNOW," whatever that is), and even Hulu, which is still a thing apparently. Seems likely that arrangement will happen again for season 2, though we can't say for sure. CR still has like 10 unrevealed shows (and calls sequel seasons "new simulcasts" for some reason).

None of these shows matter much to me personally, and CR still tends to get the oddball ones I actually want to see, so I guess that's still the one service I'm willing to pay for. Don't know how much longer that will last, though. The brief days of not needing to spend $30 a month and live in North America to watch all anime legally are already behind us, apparently. The anime industry could band together to end exclusivity rights and make everything global on all platforms... they'd likely end up making more money that way, and people could choose the best streaming service for their region instead of location-spoofing to Japan to watch anime on Netflix or whatever. But change is hard.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:05 am Reply with quote
Does Funimation own the rights to these shows in regions where they are not streaming them? Because if they don't, could a domestic streaming service not stream them. Or could CR or Hidive not license and stream them in that region?
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:22 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Friki del Mal wrote:
And, as an inmediate aftermath, people in Latin America stared to bash Funimation and Aniplex on Twitter because they will no longer put more anime on Crunchyroll.

OddJobsKatsura wrote:
This is the end of Crunchyroll and legal anime streaming as we know it. Pirate life for me.

Apparently, Crunchyroll is becoming useless nowadays because of Funimation and Aniplex. Funimation should be make available worldwide instead in only English-speaking countries.

I'm pretty sure most of Europe as well as Russia and Scandinavia will still be getting the show through the Wakanim partnership.

I'm also pretty sure it's just a matter of time for the Latin America thing guys.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
Friki del Mal wrote:

OddJobsKatsura wrote:

I'm pretty sure most of Europe as well as Russia and Scandinavia will still be getting the show through the Wakanim partnership.

I'm also pretty sure it's just a matter of time for the Latin America thing guys.

But I have two problems on Wakanim, and that is #1 Animes on Wakanim Russia have Russian subs and I don't understand Russian, which I'm disappointed that there are no English subs in it.

And #2 Wakanim Russia is available in central and eastern Europe, including the Baltics. However most of youths in central and eastern Europe(except Russia, Ukraine and Belarus) doesn't understand, speak or read Russian language. Wakanim think central and eastern European countries(including the Baltics) are Russian speaking countries. Is this intentionally or not? I wish they could add English subs in it.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:45 am Reply with quote
Not surprised Funi has taken most of the "good" anime (all anime is good but by taste wise) again this season. Just wish they would be more open to their anime. Crunchyroll was doing a good job in allowing subs in so many different languages....
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Though it's true that legal streaming as a system is disintegrating due to exclusivity, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. The first season of Kaguya was on both CR and Funimation ("FunimationNOW," whatever that is), and even Hulu, which is still a thing apparently. Seems likely that arrangement will happen again for season 2, though we can't say for sure. CR still has like 10 unrevealed shows (and calls sequel seasons "new simulcasts" for some reason).

Did you not read the article? Both Funimation and Aniplex announced that Kaguya season 2 will be exclusive to Funimation. Maybe that’s only a 1 year exclusivity or something, but for the near future it’s only Funi.

And yea I guess it’s a little early to complain about Latin America, I’m sure Crunchyroll or someone will get LatAm rights, it would be stupid if they were just ignored while they got season 1.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
If they Dub Bunny Girl Senpai Aniplex would have to rerelease it as a separate set since they already released the series on home video sub only last year.

They already did the same for the first season of Kaguya-sama, I believe, so it wouldn't be unheard of.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me if I sound ignorant as I don’t know much about the situation in Latin America anime fandom, but is Crunchyroll the only anime streaming service in Latin America and is there not like another site that could license shows that Crunchyroll doesn’t get? I don’t know much about it again so I don’t know if it’s a matter of affordability if there isn’t another source that can pick up shows Crunchyroll can’t.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:22 am Reply with quote
OddJobsKatsura wrote:

...because Funimation's never had any exclusives before Question And CR never offered every show in a season, either. When did it become a crime against nature for content distribution companies to compete with content? We didn't see this in the pre-streaming era, e.g. when Funimation licensed Solty Rei in 2006, there was no "Well this sucks, now ADV and Geneon can't release it. PIRACY 4EVER!" uproar.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
...because Funimation's never had any exclusives before Question And CR never offered every show in a season, either. When did it become a crime against nature for content distribution companies to compete with content? We didn't see this in the pre-streaming era, e.g. when Funimation licensed Solty Rei in 2006, there was no "Well this sucks, now ADV and Geneon can't release it. PIRACY 4EVER!" uproar.

I assume it's because they'd rather only pay for 1 service rather than 2, 3, or more. You didn't have to buy a subscription to a company's warehouse to buy their DVDs or buy a company specific DVD player to play them. There was no reason to complain about who licensed something back in the day unless it's the people who complained about Aniplex of America's prices, Funimation's awful blu-ray upscale releases, or a kid-oriented company who releases things in dub-only formats. This is a problem that only exists in the era of streaming due to platform lockouts which physical media didn't have.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
We probably won't find out who's involved with the new show's committee until the first episode is out (like usual) but the fact that it's not airing on TBS means they're not involved with this one.

https://i.imgur.com/g9fw91X.png

Sammy
Sega Games
Tencent Japan

Usually the licensor is on the top of the listed committee but in this case, FUNi definitely got it from Sega.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2