• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best (And Worst) Anime of Winter 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuzumei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 pm Reply with quote
To me PET was hands down the best show. It was not perfect but It has an interesting fresh story, great ending and the best OP and ED. Too bad that almost nobody watched it.

I am happy that many people liked Eizouken. It was a good show, but I personally got bored with it. I had to push myself to finish it.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Best: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken. Its probably going to be an Anime of the Year contender for me, there's not much left to say about it since its been talked about so much here. I really hope Crunchyroll eventually releases or lets another company release a blu-ray of this show one day.

Runner-Up: Beastars (I also really enjoyed Haikyuu S4, Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, and even F/GO Babylonia despite not believing I would). Beastars had noteworthy direction, shot composition (I particularly love its use of reflections), and voice work on top of a really engaging story. I can't wait for S2.

Most Disappointing (that I actually finished): ID: Invaded. It just... threw so much at the wall throughout its run and had a pretty lackluster ending. It had its moments from time to time, but its not something I ever really plan on revisiting or recommending to others.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
WORST-For me it was hands-down (and not prying open women's legs or up women's skirts like "Good Guy" Licht!) Plunderers. Started out bad, got worse, Ep8-9 seemed like it would improve but I am informed it couldn't keep away from the sexual harassment and abuser pandering. Thoroughly awful, not a microsecond of funny and enough to keep a person who occasionally likes "hate-watching" a "bad" show to actively avoid it's sh*t. I can't see how anything can top it this year for worst and it's only half-done folks!! Shocked

Best- Subjectively based on what I watched Bofuri, Infinite Dendrogram, Hanako-kun and MHA.

Very Honorable Mention- Interspecies Reviewers. Makes me wish I lived in 'Straya after it got pulled from Funi, Theron's synopsis is right on IMO. Hope to find a way to get it in it's uncensored entirety sometime...
bennyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:47 am Reply with quote
Best - interspecies reviewers. Funniest show of the season, with a laugh out loud moment at least every episode.

Worst that I actually managed to watch more than one episode - in Spectre. I don't care about "objectionable" content. Content is content. This show had three legitimate episodes of content and squeezed it out over 12 episodes like someone trying to get every last drop of angel mayo out of the bottle.
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
Best: Darwin's Game
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:21 am Reply with quote
echen_taichi wrote:
Best: Darwin's Game

I don't belive you.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:44 am Reply with quote
I’m only ranking new shows. Chihayafuru and Haikyuu are long time favorites of mine. They are like old friends who I am always happy to have join me. But it’s always great to discover something new to love.

Favorite: Toilet Bound Hanako-Kun: Dark, funny and poignant with some great characters. This series more than anything deserved a second cour but I have a new manga to read now

Runner-Ups: Somali and the Forest Spirit & The Case Files of Jeweler Richard . They are both very different series but also have strong heart warming relationships at their core so hmm maybe I have a thing for that.

Most Disappointing: Pet & Magia Record.
Barry Chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote
Based Theron Martin, a true man of culture and the best and most honest reviewer on ann without bias strikes again.

Loved ur interspecies reviewers reviews they were really good and also liked that the series grew on u.

Keep up the awesome job mate as always nice ranking. Smile Smile Smile
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
To me PET was hands down the best show. It was not perfect but It has an interesting fresh story, great ending and the best OP and ED. Too bad that almost nobody watched it.

I am happy that many people liked Eizouken. It was a good show, but I personally got bored with it. I had to push myself to finish it.

My thoughts exactly. I really think Pet is a strong contender for anime of the year for me. I haven't seen such a gripping, thought-provoking series in a good while. Also, it had and amazing soundtrack.
As for Eizouken, while enjoyable I think is way too overrated. It was nice and all but nowhere near Yuasa's finest works (Ping pong and devilman for me)
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
So far not one commentator has mentioned Somali???

I'd reverse Rebecca's ordering and put Somali in my top spot for its moving story and stunning graphics followed by Kitarou, whose departure from my TV will be sorely missed.

It's a bit hard to compare a show with 97 episodes that has stretched over two years with ones that last just a season, but GeGeGe no Kitarou (2018) is, to my mind, the most under-appreciated series of the past few of years. (It doesn't even get an average rating over seven at MAL.) The writers at Toei carried Mizuki Shigeru's work into the 21st century, with episodes that embodied his anti-war feelings and generous spirit, even in the anime-original stories. Nowhere do we see this better than the original episode twenty which indicts the Japanese educational system for white-washing the country's role in World War II. The episodes that depict conflicts between the government and the yokai seemed drenched in the same post-Fukushima critique of government inaction that we see in Anno Hideaki's live-action Shin Godzilla movie. Usually these shows present the yokai as the "other" and the targets of human discrimination and xenophobia. All in all, Kitarou was an impressive piece of work, more so given that it aired on Sunday mornings at 9 am.

Runners-up included In/Spectre, Jeweler Richard, and Chihayafuru 3.

I don't watch anything I dislike long enough to identify "worsts."
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
As good as Eizouken apparently is, the unholy trinity of overwhelming hype plus anime-about-anime (a genre I'm exhausted with)

It's actually more about the power of imagination and love for animation in general and less about "anime" per see.

Was Eizouken really hyped that much? I'm not following trends and fads in the net, so I don't know. I just appreciate Yuasa's works in general and I was lucky enough to have met him in person one time at an animation festival here in Switzerland. Eizouken was my most favourite show of winter 2020 just for sheer creativity and originality, closely followed by Beastars for the entertaining mixture between dark drama and comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Was Eizouken really hyped that much? I'm not following trends and fads in the net, so I don't know.

Among creatives, absolutely, but among general populace I saw a lot more of Bofuri, In/Spectre or Interspecies.

Or maybe I'm just hanging out with a weird bunch.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I'd reverse Rebecca's ordering and put Somali in my top spot for its moving story and stunning graphics followed by Kitarou, whose departure from my TV will be sorely missed.

It was a tough call, honestly. I went with the order I did largely because I was impressed by how well Kitaro managed to pull its themes through from episode 1 to 97 - I've seen shows that can't manage that in a quarter of the runtime. I probably just should have said that I loved and ranked them equally, though!
timber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
A few ago, in the usual end of season poll I would have difficulties choosing only 5 shows, but this season it just a little bit less than the amount of shows I found watchable.

On top Inter-species Reviewers and Eizouken, then Somali, Haikyu and Railgun and a finally a few others I finished but won't they leave a lasting memory so I won't mention them.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
My 2¥ worth:

Best: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken

Runner-Up: A Certain Scientific Railgun T (s3)

Honorable Mentions: Science Fell In Love So I Decided to Prove It, Isekai Quartet 2, Kabukicho Sherlock (cour 2), Darwin's Game, Madoka Magica Side Story, Fate/Grand Order: Babylonia (cour 2).

Dropped: In/Spectre, Infinite Dendogram, Koisuru Asteroid

Didn't Watch But Plan To At A Future Date: ID/Invaded, Dorohedoro

Worst: Plunderer

Really, really strong season overall. Lots of shows I very much enjoyed, and even the ones I dropped still felt as if they were generally pretty decent (they just weren't what I was interested in at the moment). Keep this up, and 2020 may rival 2018 as a great Anime year.

On to Spring 2020!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4