• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super_M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed so far first episodes of Tower of God, Appare, Fugou. If I must choose between these three I liked Tower of God the most. Fugou have very good opening and ending.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:09 pm Reply with quote
First episode of Millionaire Detective made me cringe so much. Though it did have some funny moments ...
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
meiam wrote:

Arte yes, 100% the generic cliche story, the setting isn't very common but based on the first episode I doubt it'll go much in detail about the renaissance, so it'll remain as just a backdrop.

Having read the manga, that's not entirely true - some period-specific artistic techniques and social issues of the day do come up.

Good to know, there are some interesting aspect of the renaissance for artist, like the patronage system or the less than reliable nature of the church that can make interesting topic that don't have easy contemporary equivalent.

Appare-Ranman!: I feel like the show should have upped the wacky hijinx 10 fold. Appare looks absolutely ridiculous, even beyond the red mark on his lips. Yet he act like a slightly strange person, but not "person who goes around wearing a flashy rope backpack" ridiculous. His personality just doesn't mesh with someone who every morning would go trough the trouble of applying make up, dressing like that and making his hair (not to mention dying them every few weeks). If you're going to go with "mad scientist", then actually give him the personality to match (or if you're going to go with serious scientist match his appearance).

I liked millionaire detective, although I wish they didn't re-use their "computer" CG over and over again, we get it, he transfer large amount of money. I do worry that the show doesn't seem to have anything beyond "this guy is really rich and doesn't care". I liked Yuko, I really doubt it but it'd be cool if she was a regular (either have the couple constantly try to commit crime, a la team rocket, or just have her straight up join the police squad). I do wonder if there's going to be a lot of batman reference.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Trivia for Appare-Ranman's time setting: the flag on the American steamship has 45 stars, so, Utah became the 45th US state in 1896, and Oklahoma, 46th, was 1907. But the show in general looks like a steam-punk-ish Wild West, with fights with six guns up against swords and martial arts in the op and ed. So, a fun trip with crazy people about 1900 or so? I liked it. I know I liked the pace of both the opening, and the flashback intro of the characters, even though they pretty different. Appare and Ranman both seem like they're not cliched types, so I'm interested. And it was fun in general.

The second ep of Listeners was good, too. Though the 3 sisters were a type of smart-ass that I don't like, with the "spoiler[We know but we Won't tell you.]" They may be suffering from a massive excess of Dada style on the brain.

Villainess, I liked the first light novel and manga, so no suprise that I liked the first ep.

Gleipnir balanced its tone with its backstory and characters really well, but if it goes in the way of a lot of body-horror, then I'm going to have problems with that. But I like it so far.

Tower of God: took a more light hearted tone in the second ep. I'm ok with that, I'm not real picky about rules in Swords and Sorcery stuff in general. I hope it doesn't get too dark.

Re: Dive. I liked it, I hope it is my silliness show this season. Starting in that way very nicely.

Sing Yesterday. Interesting so far, may drop it if it gets sad. Not too concerned about the difference in ages.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:43 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Good to know, there are some interesting aspect of the renaissance for artist, like the patronage system or the less than reliable nature of the church that can make interesting topic that don't have easy contemporary equivalent.

Assuming that they keep it, the patronage angle definitely comes up - and not just in terms of art. The fact that Arte is female and trying to get ahead in a world that would rather she just got married factors into various Renaissance-themed plot points, too, and, again, not just in the context of art. (See: patronage angle comes up. Smile )

Honestly, the manga reminds me of Emma and Gisele Alain (by Sui Kasai), although no one really does historical fiction with accuracy like Kaoru Mori, so it's not entirely fair of me to bring it up.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Appare-Ranman has a lot of style that works for me, but I can't watch a show when I want to strangle the main character the whole time.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Appare-Ranman's first episode was absolutely not to my taste. Not only is the main character very obnoxious and ridiculous looking, but it seems like the creators didn't know what they wanted to tell and threw a bunch of cool things (Taisho-era buildings & infrastructure, some more modern racecars, a hip hop dude with rastas, some steampunk elements, Tokugawa and Meiji-era clothing style; allusions to Commodore Perry's black ships arriving in Japan, and so on) into a blender just to see what sticks to the wall and will be enjoyed by the audience. I loathe this kind of world building approach and just wish the creators would stick to very few elements instead of this garbage mish-mash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I always want an anime version of Jojo Steel Ball Run and Appare-Ranman is probably the closest show conceptually speaking.

Yet after watching the first episode, my interest quickly died down. It suffers the same problems of many previous PA Works originals: poor characterizations and a plot that should theoretically be exciting, yet ultimately feels underwhelming
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Trivia for Appare-Ranman's time setting: the flag on the American steamship has 45 stars, so, Utah became the 45th US state in 1896, and Oklahoma, 46th, was 1907. But the show in general looks like a steam-punk-ish Wild West, with fights with six guns up against swords and martial arts in the op and ed. So, a fun trip with crazy people about 1900 or so? I liked it. I know I liked the pace of both the opening, and the flashback intro of the characters, even though they pretty different. Appare and Ranman both seem like they're not cliched types, so I'm interested. And it was fun in general.

The first people to cross the country coast to coast in an automobile were Nelson Jackson, Sewall Crocker, and their dog Bud in 1903. The Smithsonian has some nice pages about it, also an exhibit which you can't see now. A number of people duplicated the feat in the next few years, so it's the right time frame.

1907 and 1908 were when the USA and Canada made the "Gentlemen's Agreements" with Japan that the Japanese Government would discourage emigration to the USA and Canada, in exchange for neither passing something similar to their Chinese Exclusion Acts, thus saving face.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the joke in Wave that Minare was clearly intending to watch the 1990 romantic fantasy Ghost with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze, not the horror movie "Ghost Ship" that she actually watched. (Her text message asks where was Demi Moore.) That would have been a much more normal choice for a movie after a breakup, of course.
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:52 am Reply with quote
Oops, very small thing, but on the Wave, Listen to Me! Review page I believe her name is supposed to be Minare Koda, not Minare Kudo - recently read the three manga volumes that are out and cursory googling seems to agree (episodes have not caught up to that yet I think)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Trivia for Appare-Ranman's time setting: the flag on the American steamship has 45 stars, so, Utah became the 45th US state in 1896, and Oklahoma, 46th, was 1907.

The first people to cross the country coast to coast in an automobile were Nelson Jackson, Sewall Crocker, and their dog Bud in 1903.

1907 and 1908 were when the USA and Canada made the "Gentlemen's Agreements" with Japan

And yet Ft. Lauderdale didn't exist until 1911. The Fort was built in 1838, but was abandoned mid-century and wasn't really settled again until the turn of the century. I doubt anyone on the west coast would've heard of it in this time period.

I'm with Rebecca on Appare's ketchup mouth - more distracting than his hair and single-lens goggle. But it's got Takahiro Sakurai, so you know I'm in, regardless. Smile

Food Wars is Food Wars, so I'll finish that up. At least new villain boy is pretty.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
Did Nick Creamer change his score Appare-Ranman? I'm sure it was two stars yesterday.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
^ Only Theron and Rebecca have reviewed Appare-Ranman. You must've seen it while the links were borked. Smile
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed nobody is going to write anything for Major 2nd season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10