• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I will keep watching Gal & Dino for the cute dinosaur. The live-action part was more interesting than the animated part...
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I found some of the jokes in Gal & Dinosaur quite funny and clever. For example, the gal wonders if dinosaurs can eat ramen and she proceeds to look it up on the net, but immediately starts complaining how useless the net is when she realizes there's no information about it. How absurd Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I kinda of want to see more mangaka and their children stories based off real life experiences. My understanding Is a lot of manga artists who become successful have families. I kind of wonder how cool it would be if the dad/mom wasn’t ashamed of their work? Like the son of HxH’s and Sailor Moon’s mangaka. I could see it equally interesting.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

I agree with Rebecca's assessment that Haru treads dangerously close to the manic pixie dream girl cliche, and I hope it doesn't go there.

As someone who read this manga as it came out for nearly 20 years, Haru isn't a MPDG, she absolutely has her own history and issues and isn't there to make Rikuo's life sparkly and fun.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Bungo to Alchemist seems like a cross between Touken Ranbu and Libra of Nil Admirari. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Also the music kept overwhelming the dialog track, which is probably Funimation's fault since that seems to be a chronic problem with them. I suppose I'll watch at least a couple more, until I get overwhelmed by all the returning series I want to see more, and the better new ones.

Not sure what to make of Listeners yet. I like the main pair and the big sister, but the ED (OP?) makes me wonder where it's going. Also not sure why the Ajin-esque aliens with the huge mouse ears are called Earless. One more episode to see if it can show me something to make me land on one side or the other.

Listen to Me! on the other hand, shoved me off the fence with its very first visual. Even if Minare's non-stop ranting weren't enough to put me off, the weird eye designs made it nearly unwatchable. It's like everyone is wearing contacts that have slipped badly, often making them appear to be looking in the opposite direction from their actual irises. I haven't seen eye designs this annoying since Amnesia. And while I can see some potential in the heroine, the first episode didn't give me anyone to really like. In an overcrowded field, this one's off the air.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
dm wrote:
But even if it does, I think there's a lot to be said for the editing and direction of this show, even if the animation is fairly static and plain

It is definitely not flashy, but a lot of care was put into its realism and it shows. I definitely wouldn’t call it static.

You're right. "Not flashy" is a much better description than "static". There's a lot of subtle brilliance to the animation direction.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Sing Yesterday for me looks like it is this season's March comes in like a lion, (or maybe even Honey and Clover?) with it's floundering protagonist surrounded by an ensemble of different characters, only this time with Kei Toume character designs instead of Chika Umino's.

Humm sorta similar but not really. Nothing bad happen to the MC in sing yesterday, he's just kinda apathetic and never really did anything with his life, but he doesn't have crippling depression or anything like that. The secondary character are also more developed in sing yesterday and there's quite a bit that happen where the MC is just not involved. Romance is also a bigger part of the story, with some really awkward quasi harem situation. Otherwise, sing yesterday is also less melodramatic and more grounded.

Although now that I think about it I dropped both of them (in manga) for the same reason, at some point the story just goes around in circle and does nothing for quite a few volumes, this was particularly brutal for sing yesterday cause you'd wait 2 years for a new volume only for almost nothing new to happen in it.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I refuse to use Crunchyroll's spelling of Katarina. It's even spelled with a K in the CR series description, so that just has to be a mistake that they went with a C for the subtitles. They fixed the "Irregular/Non-Regular" subs in ToG, so hopefully this will get the same attention.

Also looking forward to more Bookworm today Smile
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
TamaYomi
James Beckett wrote:
Perhaps its just a matter of maladjusted expectations on my part. I came into Tamayomi expecting either a starry-eyed sports drama or a low-key teenage love story, but it ended up feeling like a laid back slice-of-life story that just so happens to be about girls playing baseball.

The reality side sounds pretty accurate, this is a Manga Time Kirara show afterall. It's already rare enough that there is so much realism and so little moe.
(Reading these and other reviews, I swear "CGDCT" shows have a worse reputation than fanservice ones lol)
It's also the second Kirara anime series about sports, the other one also having a title composed of its main character names: Harukana Receive. This one already has worse production values, so let's hope in the long run it can have more compelling writing (but it isn't looking very promising).

Kakushigoto:
I'm only familiar with SZS, Joshiraku and a bit of Katte ni Kaizou, so the sentimentality (and animation style) of this one caught me off guard. It's also surprising that the name puns of the two leading characters work when written in a Western order but not a Japanese one. Also, the girl that looks like Chiri shares her surname.
And that gag about Gotou being asked to draw "Poly Cure"? I'm 95% sure that was an actual anecdote from Kumeta, although I think that time he was asked to draw One Piece rather than Precure (and so he did).

Listeners: I came in with no idea of what it was really about, nor have I watched Eureka Seven. It was pleasant in the way it delivered its world-building (even if it's also terribly generic), and I very much liked Mu's personality. Although I have to wonder why the sister pretty much had the amnesiac girl spend all night alone at a decrepit train station. I hope the mechas ARE playing diegetic music and we get some Symphogear-ish moments out of that.

Gal to Kyouryuu:
From the first art switch it felt like PTE. And boy was it: namely, the second half of the episode is a sheer waste of time; it's has a couple of kinda cute ideas, but stretching them for that long doesn't work at all. Repeting the same gimmicks as PTE really isn't going to work with this one. Cut out the terribly uninteresting fake stop motion segments (I thought the first one was REALLY going to feature a timer for the ramen cooking. It didn't, it was a torture timer instead) and the ossan half and you get a way more interesting and snappier, if less quirky, show that fits into a 5-minute format.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Otome was great, I do hope it doesn't go to hard in the reverse harem direction though, part of the humor is that all character are cliche carboard cutout character, so if I'm suddenly asked to see them as real character whenever romance is introduced It'll be disappointing.

That ending was great, I wish I was better at photoshop (and more image of the series were available).
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Tamayomi ought to be right in my wheelhouse (sez the girl who's carried the Ace of Diamond thread alone for the last 52 episodes (shameless plug) Smile ). But I'm on the fence about this. The first ep was better than I'd expected based on the promo material, but I still can't get past them playing in shorts like it's 1945. I can feel the dirt and sand grinding into my skin already. The body proportions also look weird to me, but maybe it's the school uniforms. Often they seem to have nothing between waistline and boobs (which thankfully do seem fairly reasonable so far, and not entering the room several steps ahead of their feet). I'll give it 3 strikes before I call the game.

Well... interestingly, if you do an image search for "girls baseball japan" you'll find a Pintrest page in the first few rows of results that has image after image of girls in outfits that are extremely similar to the uniforms in TAMAYOMI. There are ALSO pictures of women from the Japanese PROFESSIONAL league, where they wear normal-looking baseball uniforms. As for the body proportions, I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the characters look a lot like many of the girls who were on sports teams when I was in high school looked. "Stocky" is a term that comes to mind. That could be part of the reason for the perception of there being nothing between the waistline and boobs. They aren't very curvy. They don't have "hourglass" figures. They have powerful legs, strong abs, and muscular shoulders and arms. They frequently don't look "girlish" but more "tomboyish". Not all of the female athletes, mind you, but enough that it doesn't surprise me to see this body style being used for the girls who are on the baseball team. (I also had a friend in high school whose sister was shorter than me, and I'm pretty short, but had longer legs than I do by about four inches. SHE had the body style similar to these characters AND the type of boobs the girls in this show don't have. Really strange proportions to say the least!)
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:01 am Reply with quote
Digimon Adventure: seems to be a remake only in name. Other than the personalities of the characters and the protagonist Digimon's evolutions, nothing seems to be the same, which I find fine since I expected it. What I didn't expect was how fast the stakes escalated by the end of the first episode though; I found that to be a bit incredulous. I think the show has potential; Tai and Izzy are pretty likable already but that might just be my nostalgia being taken advantage of.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:26 am Reply with quote
Seems like I might end up watching more than usual this season:

Kakushigoto - Concept sounded interesting, but after seeing who the creator was I decided to check it out as I enjoyed Zetsubou Sensei and Joshiraku. Glad I did as I found this enjoyable (and with a familiar art style). Not sure how long the basic concept will hold up, but I wouldn't have thought I'd care about Rakugo either, so I'm willing to see how it goes Smile

Gal & Dino - I've enjoyed the manga so far, but this adaptation is a bit of a miss. The beginning was entertaining, but I don't see why they decided to add all the other content. This should have just been a 5-10 minute short.

Villainess - the premise of the novel/manga sounded interesting, but I never got around to reading it. Really enjoyed the first ep though, so looking forward to more. I wonder if she's going to try a bit harder to get out of that engagement though considering how he apparantely turns out...

Sakura Wars - didn't watch this in the end after seeing in the previews that this is an adaptation of the game since it isn't out yet
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
Sing “Yesterday” for Me: The show that might actually be better if the protagonist was reincarnated into another world (seriously, when he fell off his bike I was kind of hoping Laughing ). I feel like I can’t rate this until I know how old Haru is, because it definitely looks like a “heal each others’ traumas via romance” set up between a kid who should be in high school and an adult, albeit a depressed, aimless adult. And it barely had any music! I wasn’t actually expecting “Yesterday,” (who can afford The Beatles), but when Rikuo׳’s coworker gave him his band’s demo, I thought we’d get to hear it, but nope.

I’m curious about Haru’s issues, but if it’s as inconsequential as the moment she expected Rikuo to remember her from (she...picked up something he dropped during a light flurry? That’s it?) it will make just as little sense.

Arte I really like the characters, but found the aggressive insertion of shonen manga vocabulary annoying. I was expecting a more grounded, realistic, understated tone. To be clear, I’m referring to Arte’s peppy assertion that she’s going to reach her goal no matter what, which reminded me more of Naruto or Asta than historical fiction. Totally planning to watch it, anyway, but I hope it’s toned down a notch.

Villainess: They sure fit a lot in one episode! Baby Katarina and Keith were adorable! Can’t wait to watch Katarina cluelessly build her harem.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:48 am Reply with quote
This season sure is full of new stuff I want to check out, therefore I need to be more selective about it. Which is why I categorized everything I've watched so far.

First I should mention BNA, which is [expletive] excellent, judging by the first 6 episodes so far. It's in Netflix jail, but for the people not being bothered by that should definitely check it out.

As much as Funi tend to license a chock full of new titles, I'm seeing a trend - at least with me - that while there are some good shows here and there, most of them - excluding Aniplex titles because counting Sony titles on a platform being owned by them is cheating - are big letdowns. And sadly this season is no different. So far, I've seen Wave Listen to Me, Gal & Dino (the first half at least), Kakushigoto and Arte, and excluding Arte, neither of them were terribly interesting. Even Arte is just good enough I'll probably keep watching. Tamayomi deserves a separate mention for being - let's just say kindly - a functional adaptation. It's a Kirara title so I'll probably watch at least one more episode, but it's possible I'll stick to the manga instead.

Crunchyroll has fever titles that has caught my eye, but so far all of them are great. Bookworm S2 is a given, it's more of the same but we're getting more into how the world works. It continues being a charming title. Bakarina is excellent, finally some good [expletive] food. Yesterday is kind of a nostalgia trip, props to the adaptation to actually taking place in the '90s instead of adapting it to modern format. Certainly has NHK vibes to it, which takes me back a lot. It also helps that it's very pretty, but it's from Doga Kobo, so that's a given.

In short, Funi might have won the streaming battle in terms of quantity, but it doesn't look like they're having eyes for licensing exceptional titles, only to grab up as many shows as possible without bothering to check.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10