• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mew Mew Magical Girl Manga Gets All-New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonStar9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote
I remember this on TV as a kid. "I didn't count on this before my very first kiss!" Lol

capt_bunny wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Good thing 4Kids doesn't exist to snatch this up and ruin it now, maybe we'll have a decent dub for once

Say what you will about 4kids dubs but they had a lot of good creativity when it came to the music. They didn't need to put so much effort in it too. Nevertheless, I do agree the dub isn't the best.

YuGiOh!, Pokemon, Shaman King, Sonic X, when it came to theme songs 4Kids threw out some absolute bangers that they never got credit for. Look at the shocking state of English Pokemon theme songs pre- and post 4Kids! A damn shame people love to bandwagon hate so much. Their dubs weren't the best but they were passable for kids, as was their intended audience. During the rising era of fansubs teens and above grew all too eager to prove how totally not for kids their shonen-targeted anime were for fear of being looked down upon for watching cartoons that 4Kids never stood a chance.

My only complaint is their incessant need to localise everything to the point of scrubbing the characters clean of their Japanese heritage. No Japanese names, no Japanese food. (Looking at you jelly-filled donuts.)
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:23 am Reply with quote
MoonStar9 wrote:
My only complaint is their incessant need to localise everything to the point of scrubbing the characters clean of their Japanese heritage. No Japanese names, no Japanese food. (Looking at you jelly-filled donuts.)

And yet Mew Mew Power managed leave in all those kendo scenes, which are as Japanese as it gets.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am Reply with quote
MoonStar9 wrote:
YuGiOh!, Pokemon, Shaman King, Sonic X, when it came to theme songs 4Kids threw out some absolute bangers that they never got credit for. Look at the shocking state of English Pokemon theme songs pre- and post 4Kids! A damn shame people love to bandwagon hate so much. Their dubs weren't the best but they were passable for kids, as was their intended audience. During the rising era of fansubs teens and above grew all too eager to prove how totally not for kids their shonen-targeted anime were for fear of being looked down upon for watching cartoons that 4Kids never stood a chance.

Yeah, what jerks anime fans are for not wanting to watch censored and Americanized anime. Not giving 4Kids a chance like that.

The only praise I'll give them is they were open and honest about doing it for kids. Unlike localizers today who do this old song and dance on why they're altering translations aimed at adults and trying to gaslight people by saying it's more accurate.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
The only credit I will give 4crap is Pokemon. All the voice acting was pretty good and they did have funny scripts now and then. I mean, who didn't love the Poke'Rap? Smile

But they should not have touched ANYTHING else.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The other thing I liked about 4Kids besides their catchy dub theme songs was their use of New York voice acting talent as it seems like nowadays dubbing is mostly done either with Funimation's Texas VAs or LA casts and their dubs had pretty good VAs. I could understand why 4Kids had to localize kids shows at the time but my biggest frustration with them was the lack of sub availability. Thankfully nowadays we get subbed Yu-Gi-Oh on Crunchyroll.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
4Kids was the reason Ultimate Muscle got a second season (or second & third seasons if you look at Japan's airing of it) so they had their good uses.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The other thing I liked about 4Kids besides their catchy dub theme songs was their use of New York voice acting talent as it seems like nowadays dubbing is mostly done either with Funimation's Texas VAs or LA casts and their dubs had pretty good VAs.

And most of them have since moved to LA with some also in TX as well.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
4Kids was the reason Ultimate Muscle got a second season (or second & third seasons if you look at Japan's airing of it) so they had their good uses.

Wasn't season three of Sonic X also commissioned by 4Kids?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:36 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Wasn't season three of Sonic X also commissioned by 4Kids?

Not in this case no, because the Metarex arc was already set to air in Thailand and France before 4Kids got it so that season was all TMS on their own.

Plus I doubt 4Kids would have pushed for the content that arc covered seeing as how heavily edited it was compared to the rest of the show before it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The problem with 4Kids was their evangelical like dogma that all and any animation had to be "just for kids because animations has always been that way" insular ethnocentric policy so when they tried to take an anime clearly [NOT] for kids and bastardise it to fit their dogmatic doctrine it always ended up a dogs dinner. Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The problem with 4Kids was their evangelical like dogma that all and any animation had to be "just for kids because animations has always been that way" insular ethnocentric policy so when they tried to take an anime clearly [NOT] for kids and bastardise it to fit their dogmatic doctrine it always ended up a dogs dinner. Laughing
I didn't like a lot of things 4Kids did but almost all the shows they dubbed were kids shows in Japan too. Even One Piece which of course they did a bad job with is a manga for young kids. The big issue was cultural differences between the US and Japan over what's considered appropriate for kids and 4Kids often made changes beyond simply making it acceptable for American kids standards. To be honest, I thought Mew Mew Power was one of 4Kids' better dubs. The voice cast was pretty good expect for maybe Quiche, and I liked the dub music and aside from one episode being aired out of order and upping up the characters' ages, the plot wasn't too drastically changed compared to some of their other dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2