Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyodo News: Prime Minister Abe to Declare State of Emergency in Japan


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9758
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
It's a question of IF this gets resolved, what will we do to prevent something like it happening again

GNPixie wrote:

China needs to ban wet markets and keep them banned. COV-19 originated in the same way that the original SARS outbreak did back in 2002/2003; via wet market.

Not saying I disagree with you. There's a lot of debate whether wetmarkets are safe or not, and even some scientific debate (research) as to whether the virus really originated in the wuhan seafood market, or if that was just where it spread after a human (not a bat) brought it from elsewhere in wuhan.

But Wetmarkets are just one of the many places pandemics can possibly start. We need to be ready for the next one, which will come from somewhere other than a wetmarket in China.

With the exception of Taiwan and South Korea, the emergency preparedness of every country on the planet was not adequate for this outbreak.

-t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9758
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Maybe people will start to take it more seriously since it's starting to look like cats can get it too. Even if that turns out not to be true (and I hope it isn't), people who don't care if they kill nana will do anything to protect their furbabies.
/cynicism


There's a Tiger at the Bronx Zoo that is confirmed to have cought it.

This CNN article covers the cat issue pretty well. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/health/tiger-cat-coronavirus-wellness/index.html

tldr version: domestic cats can catch it in a lab, but probably can't catch it from us, and even if they could catch it, it's even more unlikely that they could spread it. Unfortunately nothing is certain. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4510
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
If I remember right they sprayed the virus directly up the cat's noses. That's probably like a hurricane of virus hitting you.

In wet markets, the animals are stacked on top of each other, in columns and rows. There are no sanitation separation or drainage between cages. So the animals have urine and feces raining on them all day long. Perfect mechanism for virus propagation and mutation.
It is only a matter of time before a virus makes the jump to a human wet market worker or customer. Or simply someone walking in the area and is exposed to the runoff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1575
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
Makes me wonder what happened, as I thought they closed some schools and such things in the beginning. Did they left it off too soon, was that too little, or just certain areas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
MoonStar9



Joined: 01 Aug 2017
Posts: 24
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:27 am Reply with quote
Residents of countries worldwide are finding out how little their lives matter next to the health of the economy.

Landing an entry-level job paying pebbles as a recent Masters graduate was next to impossible here in the UK last year. Now with the pandemic and people out of work companies are willing to accept anyone and everyone and have even raised salaries just to keep their businesses afloat. What a laugh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AiddonValentine



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 1798
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Has he not learned from the rest of the world?! You HAVE to lockdown ASAP if you want the quickest turnaround and the lowest economic impact. The longer you wait, the more deaths there are, and the more economic damage there will be. Abe is not doing this right.

And in response to an earlier comment: last I heard scientists actually said it CAN'T be confirmed where this started. We of course assume it was China because that's where it was first discovered but we cannot without a doubt say for sure. Either way, China could not stop it even if they did things better. Best case scenario they would've slowed it down to buy us more time. But it seems like at least the US and Japan would've wasted all that time anyway, since we wasted the time we did have.


Let's not beat around the bush here, Abe was scared of the Olympics being canceled because that fiasco would immediately splash onto him, which makes him look like a fool because the IOC delayed it anyway. He does not want to bear the ire of people who have been effected by this. But of course sticking one's head in the sand makes things worse and now it's possible he's going to see things escalate far worse than if he had just bit the bullet earlier. This is all on him and LDP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
residentgrigo



Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 1740
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers: It will last more that one month and all of this came way too late. At least the hammer dropped.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaylee Smerbeck



Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Took them this long with a median age of 48.4? That's similar to Italy. Also no lockdown I mean yeah you can't really unclog the Tokyo subway but least cancel school.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/intermittent-physical-distancing-might-be-a-thing-until-2022-research-suggests-1.4886559
We won't ever go back to the way it was before. Like we will get through this but it won't be better. Like how many people in Italy have to deal with their elderly relatives not being there anymore. Side note will this emergency involve cops giving people masks like in Vietnam?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4763
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
It's a question of IF this gets resolved, what will we do to prevent something like it happening again

GNPixie wrote:

China needs to ban wet markets and keep them banned. COV-19 originated in the same way that the original SARS outbreak did back in 2002/2003; via wet market.

Not saying I disagree with you. There's a lot of debate whether wetmarkets are safe or not, and even some scientific debate (research) as to whether the virus really originated in the wuhan seafood market, or if that was just where it spread after a human (not a bat) brought it from elsewhere in wuhan.

But Wetmarkets are just one of the many places pandemics can possibly start. We need to be ready for the next one, which will come from somewhere other than a wetmarket in China.

With the exception of Taiwan and South Korea, the emergency preparedness of every country on the planet was not adequate for this outbreak.

-t

Scientists aren’t 100% sure Covid-19 developed at a wet market, although it’s very probable, it could have spread from bats to humans simply by proximity
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/20/807742861/new-research-bats-harbor-hundreds-of-coronaviruses-and-spillovers-arent-rare
Quote:
Bat contact

Olival says the fact that a bat coronavirus had at least this biological ability in a lab setting raised an obvious next question: Is there evidence that these viruses are infecting people in the real world?

So the researchers started taking blood samples from villagers in China who lived near some of the bat caves they'd been studying.

Hongying Li is an ecologist with EcoHealth Alliance. She says there were any number of ways these people seemed at risk of inadvertently coming into contact with bat saliva, urine or poop.

"In some places you could find bats roosting in people's homes," she says. "A lot of people reported, 'Once a bat flew into my house and I killed it' or 'Bats ate the fruits in my backyard.' "


I’m all for making wet markets illegal, because they seem dangerous for both humans and some endangered species, but that action alone may not be enough to prevent another pandemic (it’s worth noting that some historians believe the 1918 flu pandemic, dubbed the “Spanish flu” because Spain was the first country to report it, didn’t originate in Spain, but in the US).

What frustrates me more than not being 100% sure of Covid-19’s origins or how to prevent another pandemic is the lack of widespread testing, and the lack of cooperation between countries to ensure that every country could develop effective, quick results tests as soon as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nargun



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 828
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:26 am Reply with quote
To point out: "wet markets" are just food markets, what in the US context would grt called farmers markets. There's nothing particularly special about chinese wet markets apart from the fact that there's a lot of them because there's a lot of chinese people and food distribution is more decentralised in china than in the western world.

(Americans in particular shouldn't criticise other countries' approaches to the human-health impact of meat-production processes, because... well, go and do some reading. And "wild-caught" meat is, well, deer and duck hunting, no? Or fishing, of course.)

In a more-general note, a discussion board for a japanese cartoon newsite is probably not your go-to space for commentary on the complex health issues of food distribution networks and their regulatory and cultural framework. I don't hugely think that it's going to lead to any useful outcomes; I provide the above purely to give people some tips on how and where it can be usefully discussed before pointing them on their way.

(How does an article about japanese response to a pandemic lead to discussion about chinese food distribution regulations, anyway? It's not what you'd call directly responsive, is it now.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4510
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
To point out: "wet markets" are just food markets, what in the US context would grt called farmers markets. There's nothing particularly special about chinese wet markets apart from the fact that there's a lot of them because there's a lot of chinese people and food distribution is more decentralised in china than in the western world.


The 'wet markets' that are at issue, are not exactly like our farmer's markets. These 'wet markets' are shopped by the rich, who have an appetite for a variety of wild and rare animals. They don't need to be closed down, but just install some kind of barrier to prevent the animals from being rained on by urine and feces. and some drainage to handle the runoff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omiya



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1597
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200407/p2g/00m/0na/017000c

Quote:
18 trainee doctors in Tokyo who ignored dining ban infected with coronavirus


Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaylee Smerbeck



Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200407/p2g/00m/0na/017000c

Quote:
18 trainee doctors in Tokyo who ignored dining ban infected with coronavirus


Shocked


What kind of training?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crowjack



Joined: 22 Jun 2011
Posts: 39
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="nargun"]To point out: "wet markets" are just food markets, what in the US context would grt called farmers markets. There's nothing particularly special about chinese wet markets apart from the fact that there's a lot of them because there's a lot of chinese people and food distribution is more decentralised in china than in the western world.

(Americans in particular shouldn't criticise other countries' approaches to the human-health impact of meat-production processes, because... well, go and do some reading. And "wild-caught" meat is, well, deer and duck hunting, no? Or fishing, of course.)

Uhhh no farmer markets in the U.S and wet markets are very different and operate under very different and more strict guidelines and actual laws. There are laws in most if not all states regarding cage size, animal proximity, what animals can and cannot be sold. Your probably thinking of meat processing plants which are heavily regulated with strict laws for designated butchering areas, disposal of unused parts and waste, sanitation of premises and all equipment used in the butchering of animals, and all employees wear gloves, a smo/covercoat, and hair net.Plus many many more rules ang regs.Also alot of farmers markets have even more strict rules set in place to be able to sale there than what the state requires .Most farmers markets only sale fruits and vegetables. Some do sale livestock but very few actually do on site butchering. I have actually never seen one that does onsite butchering. Wet markets operate for the most part however they want. Selling almost anything. Sometimes/most times keeping animals in too small cages. Unsafe/unsanitary cage stacking for long periods of time. Medieval level of waste disposal from butchering. So no 2 totally different markets operating under totally different rules, regulations, and laws. Their is virtually no oversite on wet markets. If there was then logically they wouldn't operate they way they do. The reason that so many different kinds of animals are in wet markets including sometimes exotic/endangered animals and or animals known to carry very bad diseases that are easily passed on to humans is the lack of any oversite. Look I know farmers have to use markets especially in rural areas. I know people also need a cheap and affordable way to get meat in some areas of the world. But this is looking like the 2nd time a really bad outbreak has come from a wet market. How many more global pandemics will it take before something is done to atleast set in place some common health standards? Viruses mutate and new strains pop up unexpectedly sometimes. But it is not a coincidence that wet markets seem to be the source of atleast 2 outbreaks in the last 15 years or so. It's only a matter of time if wet markets are allowed to operate the way they do before something truly horrendous is passed onto someone and then spreads everywhere.Sorry for the long run on post but comparing wet markets to farmers markets is ludicrous. And as for your Americans shouldn't criticise remark. I would still find wetmarkets deplorable but just chalk it up to cultural or economical diferrences. But when wet markets are causing GLOBAL PANDEMICS its everyones right to criticise and expect something to change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz



Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 1715
Location: Brazil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Japan is naturally more socially distanced, which is why the epidemic took so long to spread over the country (it took 3 months for Japan to do have the same number of fatalities other countries reported in 1-1.5 months). That also means that the degree of lockdown required from Japan to suppress the virus might be lower than in other countries since you just need to reduce the transmission rate of the virus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group